Where should Ellsbury bat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Where should Ellsbury bat?

Agree with that 100% on our 6-9 hitters...hitting has never been the issue for the Sox in forever...it is always pitching that seems to let the team down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wait - hold the boat here...we are running out of bench players

You get 4

Punto and Shoppach leave you w/ 2

So are the last 2 spots are given to Aviles and DMac?  That doesn't exactly strike confidence on Opening Day.  They are solid call-ups but that's about it.

At least this will be very temporary.  Kalish will be there.  I don't think you could keep Lavarnway down there if he's mashing the ball.  Jose I too if they decide they need a MIF'er....Middlebrooks if Youk is ailing.....

Anyways, you get my point right?  It's pathetic to have to use your last 2 bench spots to take away AB's from your left fielder and your right fielder.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Where should Ellsbury bat?:
    [QUOTE]I thought that the thread was about a little boy with blonde hair who played right field for the Bad News Bears in a 1976 movie. It sounds like Andrewmitch received a tape of that movie in his Christmas stocking and can't stop talking about it. Why not change your avatar to Timmy Lupus.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

At least Lupus took a home run away from a Yankee, and like Beckett, had some beer after the playoff loss....Go Lupus!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And Vic Morrow as fantastic as the obsessed Little League manager against a poignant Walter Matthau, who was both funny, sad, and real in as good as I've ever seen him in any movie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't think the Sox are done on the 6-9 hitter thing. And while you can carry a squad offensively if the top half does it job, you still get hurt in the long run without some key production in the lower spots. Don't expect the pitching staff to be much better (or worse) than in 2011. That was with the league's overall best offense, built with some offense coming from the bottom spots. Or anytime CC wasn't in the lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Be careful.  There are some people who are sick of reading bad things about Timmy Lupus.  Do they realize that they have a choice of NOT reading things that upset them?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Or, we could be professional and not post them in a childlike manner using fifth grade nicknames and shot gun blasts of pure hatred. Just a suggestion......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Have I ever called you out?  Made comments of hatred directed specifically towards you?

Nope.  I don't do that.

I am bashing a player who was by far the worst player on the team last year whilst earning by far the most amount of money.  And I do that because I love the Red Sox and hate bad baseball.

Should you not appreciate what I have to say, might I suggest that instead of trying to attack me, you simply ingore it?  Afterall, isn't that what most people who are older than a 5th grader should do?  Just a suggestion...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Called me out? Not directly.. Sorry you feel attacked. I suppose if you didn't want to read what I had to say, you might have bypassed saying what you did in the post above mine? Meanwhile, typical hyperbole. Crawford was "by far" the worst player on the team? Really? Worse than McDonald? Worse than Lackey? No one on this forum has an issue with you saying you don't like a player, or feel strongly that he has underperformed. But honestly, "Timmy Lupus"? "Nancy Drew"? Why do we need that to understand your position or opinion? What you want is to be able to say what you like in any abrasive manner and have no one respond. An adult might not always do that, they might take issue with it if they disagree. Like the other night, it's not just that you disagree, you disagree in such a way as to lead all onlookers to believe they're a total idiot for even suggesting such a thing, and that you are a superior intellect. This is the trouble, and some of what you post as fact isn't even correct, or is open to interpretation. If you want to disagree with me, fine. If you want to post oblique jabs like you did above, expect to hear from me. Nothing personal, just respect. I'd rather get along with you than not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Where should Ellsbury bat?:
    [QUOTE]DISCLAIMER: I went through and deleted every post I put in this thread but my thanks to jbay because I'm so UTTERLY SICK of the vitriol directed at Carl Crawford, and I'm equally sick of posters not completely reading what I said in the OP below, and reacting half cocked. Nowhere do I say that Ellsbury SHOULD be moved, it was only a friendly discussion, and I'm heartily sorry that I brought it up. Andrewmitch? You have got some serious issues my man, and I think you need therapy. And all you guys saying Crawford should be batting ninth but NEVER first don't seem to realize that the batting order does not end with number nine, and that one bats behind nine. In other words, he'd be batting in front of Ellsbury three or four times a game. Go figure. If you're going to pour out bile, at least be consistent about it and bat him seventh. First, Softy, I'm assuming he's going to be here next year, so stay away. Where should he bat? I still lean toward leadoff, but if he continues to show the power, would third or fourth be an option? This has some appeal against RH pitchers. Having Gonzalez behind him or vice versa could be interesting. That would free Crawford up for one or two, if he could handle it. Part of this includes the idea that Crawford will rebound, andrewmitch, and I think he will.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right.  You didn't cal me out at all well with your special disclaimer, calling me by name, and throwing a pair of insults my way.  Not you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Where should Ellsbury bat?": [QUOTE]In Response to Where should Ellsbury bat? : Yeah you're right.  You didn't cal me out at all well with your special disclaimer, calling me by name, and throwing a pair of insults my way.  Not you. Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] What? You asked if you had ever called ME out. Not sure where you're coming from on this one. And yes, I directly went right at you, I didn't do it obliquely--"some people" and etc. My style is to mention someone by name if I have a problem with them so they can respond in kind, which you did. But to each his own. I don't think a big enough deal to spend as much time on as we are. Sorry you were insulted, but twenty posts of vitriol against CC/Drew led me to believe in what I said in my disclaimer. If you don't want people to think that, then change your approach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Still, Aviles in LF and DMac in RF then...

Maybe, but from what I've seen of DMac in RF, I feel like almost anyone is better, including Aviles who has barely played there. I'm sure Bobby V will play the better of the two where they belong. What I am also sure of, is that Bobby V will not platoon the $20M dollar man, even though he deserves to be vs at leat half the LH starters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Where should Ellsbury bat?": [QUOTE]Still, Aviles in LF and DMac in RF then... Maybe, but from what I've seen of DMac in RF, I feel like almost anyone is better, including Aviles who has barely played there. I'm sure Bobby V will play the better of the two where they belong. What I am also sure of, is that Bobby V will not platoon the $20M dollar man, even though he deserves to be vs at leat half the LH starters. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] Moon, I would REALLY like to see Aviles turn into a sleeper with unexpected avg. and power. I think he might be able to doit, he showed signs of it last year. That might put the O over the top. ST time in right MIGHT help his defense enough to be passable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ellsbury is going to bat leadoff.  We all know it.  End of story or argument.

He's not going to bat in the middle of the order.  He did hit 32HRs - the primary reason people think he should change - but took nearly 730 plate appearances to do it, and he won't get as many chances as he drops in the order.  (Each slot a player drops costs on average 18 plate appearances.)

Not to mention, 32 HRs in 729 plate appearnaces (or 22.8PA/HR)  is nearly the exact same pace at which Varitek homered (22.7PA/HR).  Should the Sox bring Varitek back and hit him 4th or 5th?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wait - hold the boat here...we are running out of bench players

You get 4

Punto and Shoppach leave you w/ 2

So are the last 2 spots are given to Aviles and DMac?  That doesn't exactly strike confidence on Opening Day.  They are solid call-ups but that's about it.

At least this will be very temporary.  Kalish will be there.  I don't think you could keep Lavarnway down there if he's mashing the ball.  Jose I too if they decide they need a MIF'er....Middlebrooks if Youk is ailing.....

Anyways, you get my point right?  It's pathetic to have to use your last 2 bench spots to take away AB's from your left fielder and your right fielder.

We need at least one back-up OF on the roster anyways, so it makes sense to have (or get) that excels vs LHPs. I'm fine with straight platoons as long as both are near or over .800 vs one side pitcher. It's also helpful to have another bench player that can play OF. That's where Aviles comes in.

I think you are underestimating Aviles. For someone who has played about half of his innings at SS, some at 2B and a little at 3b and OF, a .288 BA is more than decent for a starter. He'll be our back-up. Yes, I know, he barely walks (.318 OBP), but he's got some "pop". He has about 50 extra base hits per 650 PAs. I'll take that as a utility IF'er anyday. He's also a pretty good fielder.

I agree we can do better than DMac as our 4th OF'er, but I do not think we can afford Cody Ross and still have a better pitcher staff. DMac has pretty good numbers against LHPs... good enough to be a big help. I have serious issues with his RF fielding, but I think Ben is going to "live with it", and focus our attention on upgrading pitching.

A bench of Shoppach, Punto, Aviles and DMac compares pretty well with this...

Sox 2011 Top 4 subs (by most PAs)
    250 Varitek  .723 OPS
    341 Lowrie  .685 OPS (Injured some of the season)
    278 Reddick .784
    175 DMac     .704 

The others...
    107 Aviles    .775
    105 Cam      .447

I hope Bobby V uses a near strict L-R platoon at catcher to utilize Shoppach's very good numbers vs LHPs and Salty's much better numbers vs RHPs.

If Bobby uses DMac and Aviles vs LHPs in the OF, it will improve our overall bench numbers and help Sweeney & CC's overall numbers improve as well by subtracting from  their horrible splits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Still, Aviles in LF and DMac in RF then... Maybe, but from what I've seen of DMac in RF, I feel like almost anyone is better, including Aviles who has barely played there. I'm sure Bobby V will play the better of the two where they belong. What I am also sure of, is that Bobby V will not platoon the $20M dollar man, even though he deserves to be vs at leat half the LH starters.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Will be interesting to see how Aviles looks in the OF in ST.  I don't entirely u/s the Punto signing as Aviles is fairly similar and cheaper, but if Aviles can play a decent RF I'd choose him over DMac in a heartbeat....great flexibility to have an IF/OF guy even if similar to Punto.  Still need a "regular" RF, of course.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should Ellsbury bat? : Will be interesting to see how Aviles looks in the OF in ST.  I don't entirely u/s the Punto signing as Aviles is fairly similar and cheaper, but if Aviles can play a decent RF I'd choose him over DMac in a heartbeat....great flexibility to have an IF/OF guy even if similar to Punto.  Still need a "regular" RF, of course.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Need, yes, but need pitching more.

With Sweeney as our RF'er vs RHPs, it is likely we will go with Aviles and DMac along with Punto (who can also play OF) and Shoppach.

If we get a guy like Cody Ross, DMac will be traded.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where should Ellsbury bat? : Need, yes, but need pitching more. With Sweeney as our RF'er vs RHPs, it is likely we will go with Aviles and DMac along with Punto (who can also play OF) and Shoppach. If we get a guy like Cody Ross, DMac will be traded.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sign me up for Cody Ross.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

If Crawford is going to be of any help at all to the Red Sox, he needs to be hitting behind a player with at least average base running skills. Otherwise the best part of his game (speed) is lost. Aviles should play leftfield against most of the LHP, Hopefully the Sox will get a RH hitter for rightfied (Marlon Byrd?)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]If Crawford is going to be of any help at all to the Red Sox, he needs to be hitting behind a player with at least average base running skills. Otherwise the best part of his game (speed) is lost. Aviles should play leftfield against most of the LHP, Hopefully the Sox will get a RH hitter for rightfied (Marlon Byrd?)
    Posted by Thomasmtom[/QUOTE]

They won't be benching CC vs most LHPs. That means Aviles or DMac will be platooning RF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He should be leading off next season as usual.  He had a great success in leadoff spot and changing it will only mess things up for Ells.  He doesn't have to hit 30+ HRs, drive in 100+ men.  Moving him to other spot will put pressure on his shoulder and ruin everything.  His job is to get on base, rob some bases, score runs, and good defense.  I don't think smarty Bobby will do anything stupid and change Ells' batting order. Expect Ells to lead-off in 2012.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ellsburry will bat lead off.....but if he bats .300 and hits 30/100 again......shouldn't he bat elsewhere???? IF he replicates last season I would think he would belong in a 2 or 3 hole more than a lead off hitter. I will say this, it's never a bad dilemma when a hitter's bat improves and you question where to place them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

It very well could be that CC plays against LHP because of his salary, but the fact remains it won’t be to the teams benefit. CC has never put up good numbers against LHP and odds are won’t in the future. I don’t believe DMac makes the team out of spring training. The Sox are reported to have an interest in Byrd (Cubs), who would be a solid backup OF and RH hitter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ellsbury leading off for the DBacks, makes a lot of sense. Crawford leading off for the Red Sox, after being told he was a #3 hitter and it ruined him, that makes a lot of sense.

Crawford
    Pedroia
    AGon
    Upton, J
    Ortiz
    Youk

That makes a lot more sense than 2011 lineup.