Where's Teixeira tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Where's Teixeira tonight?

Oh wait that's right, he didn't make the All Star team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Where's Teixeira tonight?

In Response to Where's Teixeira tonight?:
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

This is just silly

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Well, that doesn't really mean anything.  I wish Pedey was there but that doesn't mean I like him any less.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Smack straight out of the 2nd grade. I'm sure he could care less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

His batting average says he doesn't deserve the honor. I have no problem with that. I still like him as the Yankee 1B. Sweet glove and great power stroke.

Where is Pedey - oh right - he didn't make it either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Congrats on 10K

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Where's Teixeira tonight?:
    Congrats on 10K
    Posted by nhsteven

I think that nunber means I am an immense fool

Tongue out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Smack straight out of the 2nd grade. I'm sure he could care less.
    Posted by nhsteven

Hold  on Steve .... three of the best years of my life were in ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

LOL yaz

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

He's been overshadowed, and will continue to be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Teixeira has not been a superstar for a season and a half.  791 and Softy (Superstar profile, who else uses the word profile) jumped on me for saying it in the off-season but I stand by what I wrote, he has slipped from greatness.  I know some bright spark will bring up his HR and RBI totals, but you must look at the whole picture.

Low BA ok you say it is bad luck with his .218 BABIP.  The problem is the drop could be because he hits more flyballs and pop-ups and less line drives than his old self.  To his credit he has maintained his great HR/FB ratio.  Compare his road numbers to AGon over last 3.5 seasons, massive difference.

Here is the list of 1st basemen with better wRC+ (runs created) in 2011:

AGon, Votto, Fielder, Cabrera, Fielder, Pujols, Konerko, Morse (Nationals), and very close with Lind, Cuddyer, and Helton.

He is 14th in OBP at 1B.

He is over-rated b/c folks get blinded by the HR.  He has been a great second half player and of course he is young enough to regain his form, or he is just in decline?  I am sure the Yanks are glad they signed him, but he has slipped from the top top tier.

Side note: Anything that shows Mazz to be a fool is good with me.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Teixeira has not been a superstar for a season and a half.  791 and Softy (Superstar profile, who else uses the word profile) jumped on me for saying it in the off-season but I stand by what I wrote, he has slipped from greatness.  I know some bright spark will bring up his HR and RBI totals, but you must look at the whole picture. Low BA ok you say it is bad luck with his .218 BABIP.  The problem is the drop could be because he hits more flyballs and pop-ups and less line drives than his old self.  To his credit he has maintained his great HR/FB ratio.  Compare his road numbers to AGon over last 3.5 seasons, massive difference. Here is the list of 1st basemen with better wRC+ (runs created) in 2011: AGon, Votto, Fielder, Cabrera, Fielder, Pujols, Konerko, Morse (Nationals), and very close with Lind, Cuddyer, and Helton. He is 14th in OBP at 1B. He is over-rated b/c folks get blinded by the HR.  He has been a great second half player and of course he is young enough to regain his form, but is he just in decline?  I am sure the Yanks are glad they signed him, but he has slipped from the top top tier. Side note: Anything that shows Mazz to be a fool is good with me.
    Posted by tom-uk

Agreed, he seems to have slipped some. But, he is 8th in MLB in RBIs, a stat that's an oldie but goodie, and you failed to mention it.  And his glove hasn't declined at all. I don't think Yankee fans are worried about his overall production ;they'll take his #s from a player any time. Is he worth it? Probably not, but not many of these guys are; and I don't think the Yankees get that ring in 2009 without him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Tex and his down BA year does not translate to 2nd tier. No one buys that, except someone who was expecting Lowrie to be an elite MLB SS instead of UIF'er.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

You are a second tier or below poster with a poor memory!

" I don't know anyone who advocated signing Hall to a 3.5 base. I do know someone who advocated signing him to a 2 year contract for 3.5, as a UIF/OF'er. " Posted by billbyboy

posted at 9/22/2010 4:58 PM EDT Softlaw "Bill Hall is a 2 for 1 IF/OF bench player, he should be resigned for one year at about base 3 with an option for 3 and .5 buyout, cost less than Hermida."

Does 50/50 chance still change to 100% after a few months?

Steven, I am in the camp that is convinced clutch hitting is not a repeatable skill, and the RBI is mostly a reflexion of circumstance. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Tex and his down BA year does not translate to 2nd tier. No one buys that, except someone who was expecting Lowrie to be an elite MLB SS instead of UIF'er. Posted by billbyboy
    You are a second tier or below poster with a poor memory! " I don't know anyone who advocated signing Hall to a 3.5 base. I do know someone who advocated signing him to a 2 year contract for 3.5 , as a UIF/OF'er. " Posted by billbyboy posted at 9/22/2010 4:58 PM EDT Softlaw "Bill Hall is a 2 for 1 IF/OF bench player, he should be resigned for one year at about base 3 with an option for 3 and .5 buyout, cost less than Hermida ." Does 50/50 chance still change to 100% after a few months? Steven, I am in the camp that is convinced clutch hitting is not a repeatable skill, and tth RBI is mostly a reflexion of circumstance. 
    Posted by tom-uk

Well I'm in the opposite camp. Case in point; you think the Yankees would have won all those rings in the postwar yrs if Dimaggio, Berra, & Mantle weren't great clutch hitters? Snider in the 50s? Richardson in the 60s? How about Reggie in the late 70s? Jeter around 10-15 yrs ago?   What if Ortiz & ARod switched sides in '04? Swisher's PS meltdowns?

I believe different dynamics regarding different subtle skills in a player's skill set are involved in critical situations; this applies to pitching too. (Ford, Morris, Rivera, Schilling, Koufax, L. Gomez,  El Duque, Gibson, etc)

I also think there is more to Teix's RBI #s than clutch hitting; like the HRs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

LOL yaz
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Wink

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Adrian Gonzalez has made any discussion around Tex moot for Red Sox fans. Who cares, we clearly have the better firstbaseman going forward.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Teixeira has not been a superstar for a season and a half.  791 and Softy (Superstar profile, who else uses the word profile) jumped on me for saying it in the off-season but I stand by what I wrote, he has slipped from greatness.  I know some bright spark will bring up his HR and RBI totals, but you must look at the whole picture. Low BA ok you say it is bad luck with his .218 BABIP.  The problem is the drop could be because he hits more flyballs and pop-ups and less line drives than his old self.  To his credit he has maintained his great HR/FB ratio.  Compare his road numbers to AGon over last 3.5 seasons, massive difference. Here is the list of 1st basemen with better wRC+ (runs created) in 2011: AGon, Votto, Fielder, Cabrera, Fielder, Pujols, Konerko, Morse (Nationals), and very close with Lind, Cuddyer, and Helton. He is 14th in OBP at 1B. He is over-rated b/c folks get
    blinded by the HR.  He has been a great second half player and of course he is young enough to regain his form, or he is just in decline?  I am sure the Yanks are glad they signed him, but he has slipped from the top top tier. Side note: Anything that shows Mazz to be a fool is good with me.
    Posted by tom-uk

I know some bright spark will bring up his HR and RBI totals, but you must look at the whole picture.

that would be me

2nd in HR

4th in RBI

what's not to like

spin away

I'm not buying

He is over-rated b/c folks get
    blinded by the HR.

I agree one of us is being blinded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJh47LybCkU

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I'm no Tex guy but he is a switch hitting, gold glove first baseman.  So, I think the Yanks are all set at the position.  Agon is great and I love having him.  I think both teams are more than satisfied.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I'm no Tex guy but he is a switch hitting, gold glove first baseman.  So, I think the Yanks are all set at the position.  Agon is great and I love having him.  I think both teams are more than satisfied.
    Posted by jimdavis

Agon or Tex...You can't go wrong with either one at 1st base. They are both top notch 1st basemen.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Posted by jimdavis

thanks 4 the M jim

jim sure has been magnanimous lately

I think it's great

even if he is trying to prove

that he's no babe ;-)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Teixeira still has the power and ability to drive in runners but he is SO more and his OBP continues to nose dive over the past two years.  Strange, can't quite figure out why because hes not that old.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

where's jeter?

oh wait; he chose not to go.
    because of injury? let's see, he played sunday, but was too bang-ed up to appear at the all-star game.
    here's an idea; if a player decides, after he's voted into the game, not to show, his name should be removed from the following year's ballot.
    i guess jeter's not the perfect specimen everyone makes him out to be.
    hats off to all the players who still consider it an honor to attend.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe-. Show The---Babe-'s posts

The best part is after a sawx losing streak we say "Where's spc? Oh, that's right, hiding as usual"

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Where's Teixeira tonight? : I know some bright spark will bring up his HR and RBI totals, but you must look at the whole picture. that would be me 2nd in HR 4th in RBI what's not to like spin away I'm not buying He is over-rated b/c folks get blinded by the HR. I agree one of us is being blinded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJh47LybCkU
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Hey pins,

I think that Tex needs to get back to driving the ball up the middle, his BA IMHO suffers from his being to pull centric at Yankee stadium (see Giambi), sometimes hitter get enamored with trying to hit the ball out of the yard and it does have an effect on thier abiltiy to handle the ball on the outer half, a pitch he routinely drove into the left-center gap hitting lefthanded. That said, I agree with the above, he's still among the best all around 1st basemans in the league but I do think in his quest to hit 40 homers he's sacrificing 25 or 30 points in BA

• Sections
    Shortcuts