Where's the poster who wanted to trade Napoli?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Where's the poster who wanted to trade Napoli?

Hey, bosoxmal....

....good call on the Napoli trade idea.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Where's the poster who wanted to trade Napoli?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Sox fans have been spoiled by our power hitters in recent years. Manny, Ortiz (now and then), Jason Bay (before he was a punch line), Beltre etc. These guys were all good hitters when they were in Boston. In addition to their power (30-50 HRs), they also had a high batting averages (0.275-0.330).

I feel like people forget that power hitters traditionally strike out more often and have lower batting averages.

We are fortunate that we have Napoli here on a one year deal for the power and plate patience he provides. I guarantee at some point between now and the end of the year, he will get hot and start mashing again and some BDC poster will start a thread entitled 'Time to Lock Up Napoli w/ Extension'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats nothing unusual coming from mal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Mike Napoli Pros and Cons List

Hint: I'll start with Cons because that list is much shorter

Cons

-Never played first base exclusively before (0.993 Field% w/ 5 Errors)

-127 Ks through July 22 (Admittedly High)

-Hip Condition (No symptoms currently present)

Pros

-Thanks to aforementioned hip condition, he is on a one year deal

-Filling 1st base in a year in which we had no other great alternatives (For those who wanted  LaRoche, hows he doing this year? Go look at those stats)

-Hitting 0.258 (Not terrible...0.260 is the new 0.280...Batting averages are down all across baseball in the last few seasons)

-OBP almost 90 points higher than average (.342) which is fifth on the team amongst those with 200 ABs (sorry Carp, Iglesias)

-24 doubles, 2 triples, 13 homers amongst his 86 hits (45% of hits go for extra bases)

-2nd on team in SLG% amongst those with 200 ABs

-Better than expected defense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Sox fans have been spoiled by our power hitters in recent years. Manny, Ortiz (now and then), Jason Bay (before he was a punch line), Beltre etc. These guys were all good hitters when they were in Boston. In addition to their power (30-50 HRs), they also had a high batting averages (0.275-0.330).

I feel like people forget that power hitters traditionally strike out more often and have lower batting averages.

We are fortunate that we have Napoli here on a one year deal for the power and plate patience he provides. I guarantee at some point between now and the end of the year, he will get hot and start mashing again and some BDC poster will start a thread entitled 'Time to Lock Up Napoli w/ Extension'.

^^THIS^^   +1

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I was and still am in favor of trading Nap if it would mean we could get a Starting Pitcher in return OR a top notch reliever with some closer experience.

I realize most players will bat beteen .200 and .260 meaning they will make an out three or four times a game. Some would say K's are like any other out--they are but with runners in scoring position the #5 bat needs to  make some contact---because batters 6-9 are quite often your weakest hitters.

It really doesn't matter Nap is not going to be traded. But it really does matter when Nap is suppose to be protection for Ortiz--so when Ortiz is pitched around---and Nap doesn't make contact--your two big bats are rendered useless.

We can all look up the stats--check out his K/9 and BB/9--his OPB, OPS and see how this compares to other seasons. He did have two great hits last night and in the end the two big hits outweigh the three K's. Great win for the Sox--the pen held it together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Hey, bosoxmal....

Trade Napoli....... lets see how Naps does the rest of the season. You should wait to post stupid who wanted trade of Naps.... A couple of good days and lots of bad days .What if Drew gets a couple home runs you'll be screaming resign Drew. Let the season play out then open your mouth. Calm down and think... You only make yourself a target .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I thought it odd to want to trade him when we have no good replacement but at the same time to start a counter-thread after one excellent game is about as dumb.

Alleged positive posters are as annoying as basher posters.

Where was the "keep Napoli" thread a day ago?

"alleged positive posters" don't seem to have the same craving for attention as the bashers.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Really? I site JimfromFlorida as exhibit A

At least Jim's OPs contain some substance, whether I agree with them or not.

Unlike the usual crap, like the current "Lester" thread.

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that gem one of yours?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It doesn't matter whether you're positive or negative, a thread titled 'Trade Napoli' is just silly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

BurritoT-'s comment:

Alleged positive posters are as annoying as basher posters.

Where was the "keep Napoli" thread a day ago?

+5

ThefourBs' comment:

"alleged positive posters" don't seem to have the same craving for attention as the bashers.

BurritoT-'s comment:

Really? I site JimfromFlorida as exhibit A

I was thinkin pike as #1 example

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Hey, bosoxmal....

Do it quickly' there'll never be a better time!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I didn't want to trade him this year, but have to admit I like that he is on a one year contract. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

if you are going to trade Napoli, who will Boston replace with as a right handed power hitter protecting Ortiz?  There arent much out there.  It would be nice to get Trout, Davis, Pujols, Kemp, etc, but these teams are not stupid, and they will all never trade anyone of one these guys.

Quit worry about who is in the line up.  It may not be perfect cuz Boston starting to have some injuries, and Farrell have to do his best to make a good line up from one game to another.

By the way, Napoli's contract is one of the best bargin contract in MLB.  I rather to take him over Dempster or Drew!!  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Napoli has an .802 OPS and 62 RBI in 89 games.  His numbers are in line with reasonable expectations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

By the way, Napoli's contract is one of the best bargin contract in MLB.  I rather to take him over Dempster or Drew!!  

I am a fan of Mike Napoli, but with the performance bonuses Napoli is no great bargain with a 2013 earnings approaching $12 million or $13 million:

Mike Napoli c
    1 year/$5M (2013)

• 1 year/$5M (2013)
      • signed by Boston as a free agent 1/17/13
      • may earn additional $8M in roster and performance bonuses:
        • full $8M with 165 days on active roster, or
        • $0.5M each for 30, 60, 90, 120 days on active roster and 300, 325, 350, 375 plate appearances. $1M each for 400, 475, 550, 625 PAs

From Cot's Baseball Contracts: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/

According to the FanGraphs WAR conversion, so far this season Napoli has been valued at $9.6 million, Stephen Drew $6.8 million and Ryan Dempster $3.4 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=6&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Man hill you and your stats...... who cares what fangraphs thinks why not say what you think? Can you think?

What do I think?

"With the performance bonuses Napoli is no great bargain with a 2013 earnings approaching $12 million or $13 million," as I wrote in response to GoUconn13's contention that "Napoli's contract is one of the best bargin contract in MLB."

I then provided numbers relevent to my opinion. I made it simple enough for most readers, but I regret that I apparently lost you.

I'll leave the baseless opinions to you.Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

I am a fan of Mike Napoli, but with the performance bonuses Napoli is no great bargain with a 2013 earnings approaching $12 million or $13 million:

Mike Napoli c
    1 year/$5M (2013)

• 1 year/$5M (2013)
      • signed by Boston as a free agent 1/17/13
      • may earn additional $8M in roster and performance bonuses:
        • full $8M with 165 days on active roster, or
        • $0.5M each for 30, 60, 90, 120 days on active roster and 300, 325, 350, 375 plate appearances. $1M each for 400, 475, 550, 625 PAs

From Cot's Baseball Contracts: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/

According to the FanGraphs WAR conversion, so far this season Napoli has been valued at $9.6 million, Stephen Drew $6.8 million and Ryan Dempster $3.4 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=6&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

You re right that Napoli could ear more money at the end of the season.  That is how we all should see that Dempster and Drew have simular contract as Napoli.  Boston would easily save over 4 plus millions dollars on each Dempster and Drew!!!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

A one game sample size says nothing definitive about Mike Napoli or any other player. Glad he came through when he did. Wish he had come through more often so far this season.  

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Sections
Shortcuts