WHICH AL FIRST BASEMEN WILL MAKE AND START IN THE ALL-STAR GAME?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

WHICH AL FIRST BASEMEN WILL MAKE AND START IN THE ALL-STAR GAME?

assuming fielder goes to baltimore (according to my sources), how will this all work out? wow... tex, CABRERA, gonzo-fielder-pujols, u can only take 2.. wow!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL?

Who becomes a full time DH first?  I think fielder will be the first of the 4, but will it be Tex of Pujols?

Gonzo is clearly the better defensive first baseman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Dh is in Tex's near future, already regressed in range and agility in the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hank - you are so incorrect, it is insane. DH spot is locked for A-Rod. Tex will be playing 1B for the next few years. As for Tex's range and agility, clearly you do not watch many Yankee games at all.

Fielder will turn DH first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

course he doesn't ya pinstriped jabroney!!! he's a red sox fan.....Wink

merry xmas jessy!
    just funnin with ya a bit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Tex will be playing 1B for the next few years.

Like I said, DH is in Tex's near future. A-Rod is already in full steroids abuse old age break down mode. Tex will follow A-Rod in the 20 to 30M a year DH geriatrics line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL?:
    Tex will be playing 1B for the next few years. Like I said, DH is in Tex's near future. A-Rod is already in full steroids abuse old age break down mode. Tex will follow A-Rod in the 20 to 30M a year DH geriatrics line.
    Posted by hankwilliams

I do not think it matter who is the future DH for the yankees cuz they will have a problem within three years from now.  Got Jeter/Texieria/A-Rod!!!  They are going to be hard to be trade!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

All 3 will be virtual 100% trade market writeoffs before contracts are 75% finished.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

All 3 will be virtual 100% trade market writeoffs before contracts are 75% finished.
    Posted by hankwilliams

Care to make a wager?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Why does this thread seem like three homely nerds at the dance standing in the corner insulting the guys with the chicks?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL?:
    assuming fielder goes to baltimore (according to my sources), how will this all work out? wow... tex, gonzo-fielder-pujols, u can only take 2.. wow!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Pujols and Fielder would be facing a different bunch of pitching next season in the AL, so there is know telling if they will handle it as well as Gonzo did.  Teixera BA has been declining rapidly but he and Gonzo are the best defenders in my opinion.

My choice is still Gonzo because I think with a full year to recover from labrum surgery, we may see huge numbers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Pujois is still going to put up the best all-around numbers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hank - you are so incorrect, it is insane. DH spot is locked for A-Rod. Tex will be playing 1B for the next few years. As for Tex's range and agility, clearly you do not watch many Yankee games at all. Fielder will turn DH first.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Actually, I never thought much of Tex's range, same as Gonzo.  Both rely on one really quick step and great glove work.

But if the DH is locked for ARod, where does Montero play?  Montero will play through all 3 control years, all three arbitration years, and ARod will still be under contract.

Fielder easy on the DH thing.

Best 1B will be Pujols, then Gonzo, but real close.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Pujols is the biggest name of the four even if he doesn't outperform the others. Pujols will be the American League starter at first base for the foreseeable future. Remember, fans vote in the starters.

It'll be a battle for the other one or two first base slots (I see three out of the four making it because they're all too good to leave two of them out).

I'm hoping for the sake of league balance that Fielder remains in the National League. The Cubs are interested in him. Maybe the Cardinals will make a run at him to replace Pujols. The Brewers still seem to be at the periphery. The Nationals have been surprisingly quiet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL? : I do not think it matter who is the future DH for the yankees cuz they will have a problem within three years from now.  Got Jeter/Texieria/A-Rod!!!  They are going to be hard to be trade!!
    Posted by GoUconn13
    Jeter's contract will be done by that time, Arod's
    contract was front end loaded and will drop down to 20 M after the 2015 season. That's less than the sox will be paying Crawford by that time. I wouldn't bet against Teixeira. He's not hitting for average, but he drives in runs and plays a great first base.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's easier to get away with a slower first baseman than a slow 3rd baseman....I saw both Tex and Arod losing a step.  Lets be honest though, Arod is in a much sharper decline at 3B (in terms of defensive ability) and he has FIVE years on Teixeira........AROD will be DH'ing in NY.  I would be Montero may DH for a year or two (and catch) and inevitably be traded away

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Joe - I just don't see the Yanks holding onto Montero if they feel he cannot catch. This is the telling year - the Yanks have to give him the back-up spot and full-time DH. I believe the thought is that they will get a full year of A-Rod at 3B. If Montero has a big year with the bat and shows adequate catching abilities, then the Yanks will live with him just like they did with Posada. That didn't turn out too badly for them. But there is always the outside chance that he is dealt this off-season. 

As to 1B - everyone here is putting such a premium on range. The key for most teams is how many errors can a first baseman prevent with his glove. I only see about 25 Sox games a year to comment on Gonzalez, but I am hard pressed to believe that he can be any better than Tex is with the glove and badly thrown balls from the IF. Again, I haven't seen Gonzalez enough to make a defining statement on this. Same goes for Pujois.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL? : Actually, I never thought much of Tex's range, same as Gonzo.  Both rely on one really quick step and great glove work. But if the DH is locked for ARod, where does Montero play?  Montero will play through all 3 control years, all three arbitration years, and ARod will still be under contract. Fielder easy on the DH thing. Best 1B will be Pujols, then Gonzo, but real close.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Joe- I'd be hard-pressed to think of an elite 1B who's range was not all about the "one quick step".  Youk had a little more range over there.  But the fielding of that position really is about "one quick step".  I personally can't stand Mark texeira, but, credit where credit is due, he has one of the best "one quick steps" I have ever seen.  And great hands.

That said, after watching Adrian all of last year, I think Adrian is the superior fielder.  Equal in quick step and good hands, but, hands down (hehe) the best picker of throws I have ever seen over there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DOES IT MATTER ?? WE HAVE A-GON !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL? : Jeter's contract will be done by that time, Arod's contract was front end loaded and will drop down to 20 M after the 2015 season. That's less than the sox will be paying Crawford by that time. I wouldn't bet against Teixeira. He's not hitting for average, but he drives in runs and plays a great first base.
    Posted by pri360

I depends on how you think ARod will hit going forward.  While his base salary drops towards the end of the deal, he has huge bonuses for career HR totals.\

From Cot's:

Alex Rodriguez 3b
    10 years/$275M (2008-17)
    • 10 years/$275M (2008-17)
      • re-signed by Yankees as a free agent 12/13/07
      • $10M signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014)
      • 08:$27M, 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20M
      • $30M marketing agreement based on home run milestones ($6M each for reaching 660, 714, 755 and tying and breaking major league HR record)
      • no-trade protection
      • perks: may purchase 4 best available season tickets for 2008, 4 Legends Suite or comparable season tickets for 2009-17
      • Texas obligated to fund $9M as part of deferred compensation provision in previous contract (to be paid with interest in $3M increments in 2008, 2009 & 2010)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

I think there is a first basmemen in Detroit who should also be int hs arguement...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

It took me awhile but it seems that the Thread title and OP are talking about who will start at first base for the A.L. in the All Star game. Has that issue been addressed in the responses?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

But they are marketing bonuses. Not sure how that affects luxury tax.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Who becomes a full time DH first?  I think fielder will be the first of the 4, but will it be Tex of Pujols? Gonzo is clearly the better defensive first baseman.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Tex is a pretty darn good 1B. Gonzo is just slightly better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL MAKE AND START AT FIRST BASE IN THE AL? : I depends on how you think ARod will hit going forward.  While his base salary drops towards the end of the deal, he has huge bonuses for career HR totals.\ From Cot's: Alex Rodriguez   3b 10 years/$275M (2008-17) 10 years/$275M (2008-17) re-signed by Yankees as a free agent 12/13/07 $10M  signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014) 08 :$ 27M,  09 :$32M,  10 :$32M,  11 :$31M,  12 :$29M,  13 :$28M,  14 :$25M,  15 :$21M,  16 :$20M,  17 :$20M $30M  marketing agreement based on home run milestones ($6M each for reaching 660, 714, 755 and tying and breaking major league HR record) no-trade protection perks: may purchase 4 best available season tickets for 2008, 4 Legends Suite or comparable season tickets for 2009-17 Texas  obligated to fund $9M as part of deferred compensation provision in previous contract (to be paid with interest in $3M increments in 2008, 2009 & 2010)
    Posted by JB-3
    all true and good points JB -- Just not as dire as the original poster made it sound.

Sections
Shortcuts