Which format do you prefer : 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

Which format do you prefer : 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1?

It seems weird that the team with the series homefield advantage has less games played at home after 5 games. With the 2-2-1-1-1 system, the other team always has a chance to have an equal number of home games, but never more than the team with the homefield advantage. I've always preferred the 2-2-1-1-1 way. Am I alone on this one?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Which format do you prefer : 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1?

I've felt this way going back to when it changed. 2-2-1-1-1 gives the true Home Field advantage to the team entitled to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

2 2 1 1 1 is a much better reflection of home field advantage. This series is a classic example. Imagine if the Sox had lost last game, now they are playing for their series lives in game 5 on the road? 

I assume 2 3 2 is done more for controlling logistics around the games 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

If I have homefield advantage for the series, I prefer 2-2-1-1-1. If I don't have homefield advantage for the serieis, I prefer 2-3-2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've felt this way going back to when it changed. 2-2-1-1-1 gives the true Home Field advantage to the team entitled to it.

[/QUOTE]

How old are you?

The 2-3-2 format has been in place since 1924 (except two years during World War II when a 4-3 format was implemented).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How old are you?

The 2-3-2 format has been in place since 1924 (except two years during World War II when a 4-3 format was implemented).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]

How old are you?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but in MadMc's defense, the same principle holds true in other sports like basketball, where the finals went 2-3-2 much more recently (and are now, as it happens, changing it back).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

2-3-2 makes sense in baseball, but not in the other sports.  In baseball if you do the 2-2-1-1-1 that is 4 travel days so 7 games in 11 days, not normal.  In other sports it is easier to spread out the series because they don't play back-to-back days that often and except in strike years do not play 3 games in 3 days.  Heck basketball, even when they did 2-3-2 still dragged it out to 17 days.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Unquestionably the proper format is 2-2-1-1-1 otherwise as posters have said the "advantage" of being the home team is watered down considerably.  I say the heel with travel issues, these are not senior citizens playing ball.  We have planes that travel 500 miles an hour and these guys travel first class all the way, everything taken care of for them.  Stop whining and get on the bleeping plane!

The 2-3-2 format is totally unfair to the home crowd who lose their "up" after the first two games and have to wait for another week to return.  One might anticipate that the reason behind the 2-3-2 somehow comes down to money, as it usually does...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

If baseball is going to continue giving a day off each day the game moves to the other teams stadium then a 2-2-1-1-1 format would be quiet painful. I do not care for it, no I do not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

hill---I'm old but I certainly wasn't around in 1924. It seems to me the format was 2-2-1-1-1 back in the 70's or 80's or 90's --I frankly was shocked to find that I was truly dating myself---thanks for researching the format, we all learn something everyday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

2-3-2 is more fair.  One team gets the advantage of more home games.  The other has the advantage of 3 in a row right in the middle.

2-2-1-1-1 is just wrong, and the NBA should be emabarrassed for using it...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And really, baseball should never adopt the 2-2-1-1-1, since they need not drag the world series closer to/deeper into November.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

I agree. The opposing team remember advanced further than 28 other teams, they shouldn't be punnished for that and deserve the 3 games in the middle to be at their park. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Although if MLB would adopt the 2-2-1-1-1 throughout the playoffs, we could all finally stop complaining about the lack of post-season baseball during the Christmas holidays...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Baseball - 2-3-2

Basketball - 2-2-1-1-1

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I would have preferred the Sox playing all their games at Fenway this Series. Now that's what you call homefield advantage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although if MLB would adopt the 2-2-1-1-1 throughout the playoffs, we could all finally stop complaining about the lack of post-season baseball during the Christmas holidays...

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

2-3-2 all day long.

now, how the home field is actually "decided" is another debate.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

And really, baseball should never adopt the 2-2-1-1-1, since they need not drag the world series closer to/deeper into November.

Notin, 

Why not play in November ?? My Birthday is in November. We need to adopt a nine game series, with a 2-2-2-2-1 format. That way we definitely play into my favorite month. After leaving Fenway from a day game fans can drop down to the garden to watch the Bruins or Celtics. What is wrong I ask you with WINTER BASEBALL !!

If folks don't want Winter Baseball MLB can start Spring Training a month after the World Series. 

Hetchless

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Notin, 

You're a serious Party Poooper. I'd love to see the 7th game of the World Series on Christmas Day. We could start the ALCS on Thanksgiving Day and run the playoffs right through the Holiday Season. I'd love to see Papi running the bases with a tummy full of stuffing. NOT REALLY !!

Cheers, 

Hetchless

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from roggdd23. Show roggdd23's posts

Right about now I love the 2-3-2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

My problem with the 2-3-2 set up is that to me it seems to put more pressure on the home team to win both the first 2 games than the visiting team.   A split like this year seems to immediatly put the team that had the home field advantage at an immediate disadvantage, and give the other team the advantage going home for the next 3 games.  

However if this year it were 2-2-1-1-1,  we would tonight be playing game 6 in St Louis.  So 2-3-2 looks great to me right now!!! 

To me however if fairness is the real concern here I wold say the DH issue is a far bigger fairness issue.....  I really think the time has long ago come for MLB to either go DH in both the AL and NL or get rid of it.   I think the current set up for all sorts of reasons puts the AL team at a far bigger disadvantge in the NL park than it does the NL team in the AL park.   

I suppose one possible improvement might be to not only give the league that wins the AS game the 2-3-2 home field advantage but also allow that win to decide what DH rule would be followed that year in all WS games.   That would at least give those AL teams that are contending at the AS break the second half of the season to experiment a bit with their pichers hitting etc. if it turns out the NL wins the AS game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox and Dodgers met in the WS and it was 2-2-1-1-1 format, there's gonna be more offdays in between.  Don't like that.  

Sections
Shortcuts