which is better. A good bat, bad glove like Iglesias or Drew who can field but can't hit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: which is better. A good bat, bad glove like Iglesias or Drew who can field but can't hit?

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

The Sox will come to "rue the day that they traded IGGY" !!!!

It's their own fault for insisting on relying on Buchholtz to give them starts.......

Sticking with the obsession I see.  Re-read the title.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: which is better. A good bat, bad glove like Iglesias or Drew who can field but can't hit?

In response to 37stories' comment:

I am just messing with heads, I didnt expect to be taken seriously.

No wonder softy has so much fun.

Yup.  I thought the title was fun, so I figured I'd pop in.  Drew's been fielding amazingly well in the playoffs.  As good as I've seen around here since Gonzo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Tomorrow night Drew breaks out of his slump BIG time. And if he doesn't, I'm pesonally going to yell at my wife.

I'll be at the pub tonight for the game.  No one will care who I yell out.  And my TV and PC will be happy not to hear me threaten them with a trip to the pool.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

southpaw must not come here anymore, he loved Drew over Iggy based on the amazing offensive upgrade over Iggy. 

Iggy 6/26 in the play-offs.

Hi Burr...I havent gone anywhere. I still come here and post. And yes, I would keep Drew at SS and yes, I was in favor of the trade. It helped us get to where we are now, so it has already proved to be a good trade.

you might want to represent me better than that Burr. I said Drew was the better all around SS. It wasnt based on his just offense, but his all around game. And obviously not just on his 2013 playoffs numbers. He streaky, so it is what it is. I think he had an OPS over 900 in september. His defense has been nothing short of great in the post season. I still stand by what I said. I dont care what Iggy is doing anymore. Hes not on this team. I wish him all the success, but do not back down from my position. Its unfortunate that I have to come here and restate my stance on this subject again because some here are misrepresenting me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re-sign Drew!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

I am just messing with heads, I didnt expect to be taken seriously.

No wonder softy has so much fun.

You are emulating Softy? Is that what you just said?

Umm no. That was another comment that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously.

I am going to have to dumb it waaaay down apparently.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Baseball is a funny game.

I do find it funny that all the posters who wanted Drew to start over Iggy based on valuing the plus offensive disparity more than the minus defensive disparity are now taking the side that defense is most important and that poor hitting is acceptable as long as you are fielding well from the SS position.

I guess it is equally ironic that all the Iglesias "I don't care how he hits with his defense" crowd are suddenly heavily in favor of SS offense...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

At 4 for 42, Drew is hitting like a pitcher.  So, consider the next three games are in an NL park.  The Sox lineup is down to 7 guys who can hit.  

Tough choice - trade defense for someone who has a better chance of getting on base?  I have no answer.  Drew could break out of his slump tomorrow and Xander could bumble a ball, costing a game.  

Middlebrooks is at this point still less likely of the three to get a hit. It really doesn't help the team to bench Drew.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I do find it funny that all the posters who wanted Drew to start over Iggy based on valuing the plus offensive disparity more than the minus defensive disparity are now taking the side that defense is most important and that poor hitting is acceptable as long as you are fielding well from the SS position.

Moon,

This is a bit simplistic. I've always valued good defense at SS and wouldn't have minded Iggy at SS in the long run. Because of how bad Iggy looked last fall, which is why Drew was brought in, I wanted Drew at SS because in the big picture, I felt Drew was a better hitter (2nd half of season Drew is what I expected) and the defensive drop off at SS wasn't very big.

Drew was been exceptional defensively at SS. I always felt the gain you got at SS with Iggy wasn't enough to make up for what Drew (2nd-half Drew) could give at the plate. So those of us who supported Drew -- it wasn't a case of valuing offense over defense as much as we (or at least me) felt Iggy's defensive gain was negligible.

So in the postseason, yeah, I don't mind Drew at SS despite his defensive struggles because defense is important, so much more so in the postseason. I don't know what Bogaerts will give defensively, but I do know what Drew will give.

And Drew has had two bad streaks this year and both times got hot, so there's also the track record of him getting hot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

softy, the clown, has stated for years that the SS glove matters more than the bat, and yet he is leading the call for Drew to be benched based on poor hitting for a couple of weeks.

For many of us, defense doesn't begin and end with range.  I made the point several times that Iglesias's range could be a liability in a big game, if he tried to make a play where it didn't exist.  And that's exactly what happened in game 2 of the ALCS.

I'm not saying Drew is the better defender, but in 2013 the disparity was not as great as the Iggy defenders believed.

But the point is moot because there is no offensive upgrade option right now - not unless you want to play Napoli at 3B.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I guess it is equally ironic that all the Iglesias "I don't care how he hits with his defense" crowd are suddenly heavily in favor of SS offense...

True enough, but I'm only saying rest Drew for 1 game, and I was part of the "Iggy crowd".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

True enough, but I'm only saying rest Drew for 1 game, and I was part of the "Iggy crowd".

Actually, I agree with sitting Drew for a game. I felt that the Sox should have started Middlebrooks today at 3B with Bogaerts at SS (or Drew).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Moon,

This is a bit simplistic. I've always valued good defense at SS and wouldn't have minded Iggy at SS in the long run. Because of how bad Iggy looked last fall, which is why Drew was brought in, I wanted Drew at SS because in the big picture, I felt Drew was a better hitter (2nd half of season Drew is what I expected) and the defensive drop off at SS wasn't very big.

Drew was been exceptional defensively at SS. I always felt the gain you got at SS with Iggy wasn't enough to make up for what Drew (2nd-half Drew) could give at the plate. So those of us who supported Drew -- it wasn't a case of valuing offense over defense as much as we (or at least me) felt Iggy's defensive gain was negligible.

So in the postseason, yeah, I don't mind Drew at SS despite his defensive struggles because defense is important, so much more so in the postseason. I don't know what Bogaerts will give defensively, but I do know what Drew will give.

And Drew has had two bad streaks this year and both times got hot, so there's also the track record of him getting hot.

Sorry. I'm not buying the defense is more impertant in the playoffs line. Most of the Drew over Iggy people were adamant about how a team could not support a weak bat no matter how great a fielder Iggy was. Now, suddenly, defense is all that matters as Drew looks worse than a pitcher batting these days.

I'm fine with playing Drew. I admit I was wrong about his defensive limitations. He's better than Bogey at this point in Bogey's career. I just think drew needs to regroup a bit. One game off is what I suggest, but I'll understand if he plays every game.

(Note: Middy is better than Iggy at 3B, so the trade off on SS defense would be nearly wiped out by the gain in 3B Defense.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Actually, I agree with sitting Drew for a game. I felt that the Sox should have started Middlebrooks today at 3B with Bogaerts at SS (or Drew).

Great minds...

Wink

Sections
Shortcuts