1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Which is the worst Ben Cherry GM move?

Reagan and Bush senior got almost exactly the budgest they requested in each of their 12 budget years.

Reagan:

• The first budget — passed by all Republicans and a few conservative Southern Democrats.
      • This increased the debt by $144 Billion.
    • The next 5 budgets — passed by the Republican Senate and signed by Reagan.
    • The last 2 budgets â€” passed by a Democratic Congress
      • Totalled slightly less than Reagan requested.
      •  
      • G. H. W. Bush:
    • Democratic Congresses under Bush passed smaller budgets than he requested in 3 out of 4 years.
    • These four Democratic budgets totalled  $14.6 Billion less than Bush requested.

• G. W. Bush:
    • The first two budgets â€” Senate was split 50/50 and the House was Democratic.
      • Bipartisan and totalled $20 Billion less than Bush requested.
      • The biggest cause of deficits was Bush's enormous tax cut, mainly for the rich.
    • The next 4 budgets â€” the Congress was solid Republican.
    • The last 2 budgets â€” Bush vetoed modest Democratic attempts at spending. 

In summary: Democrats controlled Congress during 8 out the 20 years. During 4 of those years, Democrats decreased the budgets proposed by the Republican presidents. Their total effect during those 8 years was to reduce Republican budgets by $17 Billion (which is only 0.2%).

US-national-debt-GDP

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Average deficit minus first-year deficit Presidentpolitical partyaverage deficit 
    (from prev. table)deficit in first yearrelative average deficitrelative avg. deficit ($ = 10billion) B.H.Obama Democrat $614,139,348,600 $878,684,845,318 -$264,545,496,718 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   G.W.Bush Republican $376,478,910,041 $75,259,854,496 $301,219,055,545   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ G.W.Bush 
    first 7 years Republican $304,735,205,002 $75,259,854,496 $229,475,350,505   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ W.J.Clinton Democrat $110,577,427,946 $240,047,216,344 -$129,469,788,398 $$$$$$$$$$$$$   G.H.W.Bush Republican $282,357,244,222 $205,720,361,408 $76,636,882,813   $$$$$$$$ R.Reagan Republican $213,337,825,231 $99,179,317,932 $114,158,507,300   $$$$$$$$$$$ J.Carter Democrat $96,233,376,385 $103,507,590,759 -$7,274,214,374 $   G.Ford Republican $121,627,682,805 $34,316,856,835 $87,310,825,971   $$$$$$$$$ R.M.Nixon Republican $57,014,670,019 $16,735,279,061 $40,279,390,957   $$$$ L.B.Johnson Democrat $24,558,430,244 $18,881,504,067 $5,676,926,176   $ J.F.Kennedy Democrat $24,824,275,329 $5,489,370,845 $19,334,904,483   $$ D.D.Eisenhower Republican $11,811,064,175 $14,653,592,342 -$2,842,528,166     H.S.Truman Democrat $39,364,274,302 $365,382,368,700 -$326,018,094,398 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   F.D.Roosevelt Democrat $115,795,021,559 $23,474,385,508 $92,320,636,051   $$$$$$$$$

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Putting AGon in RF.... we all know that order came from Ben

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Putting AGon in RF.... we all know that order came from Ben

how is that a bad move?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

AGon is a premier 1B man with a stellar glove and no legs. He did not belong out there. I guarantee he did not want to be out there... one more reason the clubhouse was miserable.

There was far too much risk with this move. Obvious and needs no further elaboration.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

EnT - I always assumed that was BV's move..and I liked it..it showed Agon to be a gamer -something that he was suspect of after his "God" comments  to explain the 2011 collapse...

If ben suggested it, I think it worked on a few levels...and he wasnt bad there at all...certainly better than Youk in the outfield

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I didn't like it.... though I respected AGon not acting like John Valentine and be willing to grab a new position in the filed when the team needed him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

of course the fact that Agon was out there during interleague games because our roster was filled to the brim with relief pitchers IS Ben's fault....and were not even talking Reddick here....just anyone who could play the outfield

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

the team was an embarrassment from top to bottom all year long.... the fact as you say is that they had no other options with AGon and Ortiz.... oh welll..... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Some view the military establishment as businesses that feel entitled to cold hard cash. No qualms about spending on needless wars (something like $1.2 million per troop in Afghanistan and Iraq) , but how dare we spend a few dollars on suffering Americans.

IMO, anyone saying that the Afghanistan war was unnecessary kind of missed the point of 9/11.

One could argue that this was the 2nd most justified war in our countries existence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I understand there are so many to choose from but for me it is the napoli disaster .. but his funny obsession with lillibridge was quite entertaining too...

Yes remember Lillibridge had a lot of options. The bottom line is that he could not hit. Ben should have been shown the door when he was Theo Epstein' protege and Theo left for the Cubs after 2011. Lets not even bring up the trade for Bailey and Ryan (No Power) Sweeney.Converting Bard to a reliever, the Meancon trade, paying Kevin Youkillis' salary and getting nothing for him (Stewart and Lillibridge in return), getting a guy for Theo who needed arm surgery which took 4 months to finalize. Cooke was a disaster of a signing. Cody Ross was his best pickup in 2012.  Have confidence in this guy, I don't, in way over his head with Larry Luchinno telling him what to do.

What Ben did was prostrate himself to Larry  Luchinno who read him the riot act about what he wanted done which was to cut payroll and go cheap. The game has passed this relic behind meaning Luchinno. Ben is so in over his head why do you think the Dodgers dealt with Luchinno to pull off that big salary dump last year. They decided to pick up "High Character Guys" which is good but the question is are they talented ?  Gomes, Drew, Napoli (If that ever comes off), Dempster nice guys but not the most talented. This reminds me of 2009 and all the duds they signed back then. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I understand there are so many to choose from but for me it is the napoli disaster .. but his funny obsession with lillibridge was quite entertaining too...

Tough call but considering we just handed Victorino and Gomes the contracts we did and could still use another productive OF, I would have to say the Reddick trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to AL34's comment:[/QUOTE]

Yes remember Lillibridge had a lot of options. The bottom line is that he could not hit. Ben should have been shown the door when his "protege" Theo Epstein left for the Cubs. Lets not even bring up the trade for Bailey and Ryan (No Power) Sweeney.

What Ben did was prostrate himself to Larry  Luchinno who read him the riot act about what he wanted done which was to cut payroll and go cheap. The game has passed this reliic behind meaning Luchinno. Ben is so in over his head why do you think the Dodgers dealt with Luchinno to pull off that big salary dump last year. They decided to pick up "High Character Guys" which is good but the question is are they talented ?  Gomes, Drew, Napoli (If that ever comes off), Dempster nice guys but not the most talented. This reminds me of 2009 and all the duds they signed back then. 

[/QUOTE]

Theo was Ben's protege? That's an interesting interpretation. I always thought Theo was the GM and Ben was the one working his way up through the ranks. Which would make Theo the mentor and Ben the protege if Ben were really Theo's boy. Maybe English isn't your first language? Another problem with your theory is that Ben is Dan Duquette's guy, not Theo's. So Theo would be neither mentor nor protege to Ben. Glad I could clear that up for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

What Ben did was prostrate himself to Larry  Luchinno who read him the riot act about what he wanted done which was to cut payroll and go cheap. 

1-I understand that you don't follow the RS much, but just to let you know, the RS payroll (assuming they sign Napoli) will be about the same as last year.  You kind of should really know that to comment intelligently.

2-What would Larry's motivation be for cutting payroll?  The benefits, if there were any, would accrue almost entirely to John Henry.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

of course the fact that Agon was out there during interleague games because our roster was filled to the brim with relief pitchers IS Ben's fault....and were not even talking Reddick here....just anyone who could play the outfield

Wasn't it to get Ortiz into the lineup? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Some view the military establishment as businesses that feel entitled to cold hard cash. No qualms about spending on needless wars (something like $1.2 million per troop in Afghanistan and Iraq) , but how dare we spend a few dollars on suffering Americans.

IMO, anyone saying that the Afghanistan war was unnecessary kind of missed the point of 9/11.

One could argue that this was the 2nd most justified war in our countries existence.

Not so much unnecessary as futile.  An expensive stalemate was predictable and predicted by many. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Correct I made a mistake Ben was Theo's protege, but I think you knew what I meant.

response to carnie's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

Yes remember Lillibridge had a lot of options. The bottom line is that he could not hit. Ben should have been shown the door when his "protege" Theo Epstein left for the Cubs. Lets not even bring up the trade for Bailey and Ryan (No Power) Sweeney.

What Ben did was prostrate himself to Larry  Luchinno who read him the riot act about what he wanted done which was to cut payroll and go cheap. The game has passed this reliic behind meaning Luchinno. Ben is so in over his head why do you think the Dodgers dealt with Luchinno to pull off that big salary dump last year. They decided to pick up "High Character Guys" which is good but the question is are they talented ?  Gomes, Drew, Napoli (If that ever comes off), Dempster nice guys but not the most talented. This reminds me of 2009 and all the duds they signed back then. 

Theo was Ben's protege? That's an interesting interpretation. I always thought Theo was the GM and Ben was the one working his way up through the ranks. Which would make Theo the mentor and Ben the protege if Ben were really Theo's boy. Maybe English isn't your first language? Another problem with your theory is that Ben is Dan Duquette's guy, not Theo's. So Theo would be neither mentor nor protege to Ben. Glad I could clear that up for you.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not even close, nor are we in the top five teams. Its better to sign good players who can contribute , not nice guys who fit in the clubhouse as good guys.

What Ben did was prostrate himself to Larry  Luchinno who read him the riot act about what he wanted done which was to cut payroll and go cheap. 

1-I understand that you don't follow the RS much, but just to let you know, the RS payroll (assuming they sign Napoli) will be about the same as last year.  You kind of should really know that to comment intelligently.

2-What would Larry's motivation be for cutting payroll?  The benefits, if there were any, would accrue almost entirely to John Henry.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Not even close, nor are we in the top five teams. Its better to sign good players who can contribute , not nice guys who fit in the clubhouse as good guys.

2013 PAYROLL (LUXURY TAX THRESHOLD: $178 MILLION)

Guaranteed deals

John Lackey, $16.5 million
    Ryan Dempster, $13.25 million
    David Ortiz, $13 million
    Mike Napoli, $13 million
    Shane Victorino, $13 million
    Stephen Drew, $9.5 million
    Clay Buchholz, $7.4 million
    Dustin Pedroia, $6.80 million
    Jon Lester, $6 million
    Jonny Gomes, $5 million
    Koji Uehara, $4.25 million
    David Ross, $3.1 million
    Jose Iglesias, $2.1 million

TOTAL GUARANTEED: APPROX $113 MILLION

Arbitration eligible

Jacoby Ellsbury
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Andrew Bailey
    Alfredo Aceves
    Craig Breslow
    Andrew Miller
    Daniel Bard
    Franklin Morales

PROJECTED TOTAL: APPROXIMATELY $30 MILLION-$35 MILLION

Pre-arbitration eligible

Junichi Tazawa
    Mark Melancon
    Felix Doubront
    Ryan Kalish
    Daniel Nava
    Will Middlebrooks
    Clayton Mortensen
    Pedro Ciriaco

PROJECTED TOTAL: APPROXIMATELY $5 MILLION

Additional expenses

Benefits, $10.8 million
    40-man roster members, $1.2 million
    Dodgers subsidy, $3.9 million

APPROXIMATELY $16 MILLION

ESTIMATED 2013 TOTAL COMMITMENTS: $169 MILLION (AS MEASURED FOR LUXURY TAX PURPOSES) — APPROXIMATELY $9 MILLION UNDER THE THRESHOLD

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/12/13/still-money-to-spend-red-sox-payroll-2013-15/

If you'd care to enlighten me as to how this is not close, I'd be glad to listen.  We are within 5% of the ceiling.

• Sections
    Shortcuts