1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Which is the worst Ben Cherry GM move?

2013 PAYROLL (LUXURY TAX THRESHOLD: $178 MILLION)

Guaranteed deals

John Lackey, $16.5 million
    Ryan Dempster, $13.25 million
    David Ortiz, $13 million
    Mike Napoli, $13 million
    Shane Victorino, $13 million
    Stephen Drew, $9.5 million
    Clay Buchholz, $7.4 million
    Dustin Pedroia, $6.80 million
    Jon Lester, $6 million
    Jonny Gomes, $5 million
    Koji Uehara, $4.25 million
    David Ross, $3.1 million
    Jose Iglesias, $2.1 million

TOTAL GUARANTEED: APPROX $113 MILLION

Arbitration eligible

Jacoby Ellsbury
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Andrew Bailey
    Alfredo Aceves
    Craig Breslow
    Andrew Miller
    Daniel Bard
    Franklin Morales

PROJECTED TOTAL: APPROXIMATELY $30 MILLION-$35 MILLION

Pre-arbitration eligible

Junichi Tazawa
    Mark Melancon
    Felix Doubront
    Ryan Kalish
    Daniel Nava
    Will Middlebrooks
    Clayton Mortensen
    Pedro Ciriaco

PROJECTED TOTAL: APPROXIMATELY $5 MILLION

Additional expenses

Benefits, $10.8 million
    40-man roster members, $1.2 million
    Dodgers subsidy, $3.9 million

APPROXIMATELY $16 MILLION

ESTIMATED 2013 TOTAL COMMITMENTS: $169 MILLION (AS MEASURED FOR LUXURY TAX PURPOSES) €” APPROXIMATELY $9 MILLION UNDER THE THRESHOLD

Thanks for the info.

It really is shocking to me how we got to nearly the same place per year as last year, and yet on paper, we are no better off than this time last year, except we have no long term contracts to worry about.

I had thought we'd do better in planning for the future. I did not want to go all out to try and win in 2013, but by spending this much so quickly, I think we should have a better chance to win it all than we do right now. I know Ben is not done, and he deserves more time to fully evaluate his moves, but I am having serious doubts about his plan. I undertsand why he played it "halfway" to some extent, but I think it was not the right plan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

John Lackey = the highest paid Red Sox   *shaking my head*

Oh well, at least Tom Brady and the Patriots won.  LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

to my dismay. Ravens/Pats will be awesome though. Lots of really good games so far this postseason.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Could be the last game for Ray Lewis. Watch out Pats fans!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tim Tebow won a playoff game with the broncos but Peyton Manning can't?! HAHAHAHA

That's because the Mannings are athiests!

(just kiddin')

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

But yeah i want the pats to lose. Badly.

i'll only rub it in a little bit. i promise

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guaranteed deals

David Ortiz, $13 million
    Mike Napoli, $13 million
    Jon Lester, $6 million
    Jonny Gomes, $5 million
    David Ross, $3.1 million

Arbitration eligible

Jacoby Ellsbury
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Andrew Bailey
    Alfredo Aceves
    Craig Breslow
    Andrew Miller
    Daniel Bard
    Franklin Morales

Pre-arbitration eligible

Junichi Tazawa
    Mark Melancon
    Felix Doubront
    Ryan Kalish
    Daniel Nava
    Will Middlebrooks
    Clayton Mortensen
    Pedro Ciriaco

Additional expenses

Benefits, $10.8 million

ESTIMATED 2013 TOTAL COMMITMENTS: $169 MILLION (AS MEASURED FOR LUXURY TAX PURPOSES) €” APPROXIMATELY $9 MILLION UNDER THE THRESHOLD

Thanks for the info.

It really is shocking to me how we got to nearly the same place per year as last year, and yet on paper, we are no better off than this time last year, except we have no long term contracts to worry about.

I had thought we'd do better in planning for the future. I did not want to go all out to try and win in 2013, but by spending this much so quickly, I think we should have a better chance to win it all than we do right now. I know Ben is not done, and he deserves more time to fully evaluate his moves, but I am having serious doubts about his plan. I undertsand why he played it "halfway" to some extent, but I think it was not the right plan.

[/QUOTE]

moon,

You and I come from the same direction on this as far as how the money was spent this year.  the same amount could have been spent and the 2013 team would have far much more star power and chance of winning in the playoffs than it has now.  Especially if Ben had spent where the most need was:  Starting pitching.  And as it turned out, he could have done all that without having to take on more than a 5-year contract, allowing for the 2-3 year transition to the youngsters that is in the works just as well as the team is set up to do now.

However, I do not think it is accurate to portray the 2013 team to be in about the same place as the 2012 team.  The 2013 team has a lot more depth and a little financial flexibility left.  At this point last season we were all hoping for Roy Oswalt and ended up with Aaron Cook, Prior, and Ohlendorf (I know we weren't ALL hoping for Oswalt, but we were all clamoring for a pitcher to come in and save the rotation, be it Oswalt or whomever was left on the opern market), knowing that Ben did not have the money to do much else. 

This time around Ben still has time and flexibility to go after another quality starter, and he is already 7-8 quality arms deep (counting Doubront, Aceves and Morales as potential 5-7 starters, with De LaRosa in the wings).  A stronger bullpen by far.  And except for 1b, this team has more answers in the starting 9 than at this time last year, with more depth at catcher, depth and options at SS that should do better than Aviles ended up doing, and an OF that has at least as much ability and depth as last year (when we ended up with AGon playing games in RF).

At least I hope I am right about this.  I prefer the 2013 Sox to the 2012 Sox by quite a bit already, and hold out strong hope that Ben is not yet done, either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guaranteed deals

David Ortiz, $13 million
    Mike Napoli, $13 million
    Jon Lester, $6 million
    Jonny Gomes, $5 million
    David Ross, $3.1 million

Arbitration eligible

Jacoby Ellsbury
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Andrew Bailey
    Alfredo Aceves
    Craig Breslow
    Andrew Miller
    Daniel Bard
    Franklin Morales

Pre-arbitration eligible

Junichi Tazawa
    Mark Melancon
    Felix Doubront
    Ryan Kalish
    Daniel Nava
    Will Middlebrooks
    Clayton Mortensen
    Pedro Ciriaco

Additional expenses

Benefits, $10.8 million

Thanks for the info.

[/QUOTE]

moon,

You and I come from the same direction on this as far as how the money was spent this year.  the same amount could have been spent and the 2013 team would have far much more star power and chance of winning in the playoffs than it has now.  Especially if Ben had spent where the most need was:  Starting pitching.  And as it turned out, he could have done all that without having to take on more than a 5-year contract, allowing for the 2-3 year transition to the youngsters that is in the works just as well as the team is set up to do now.

Actually, spending on "star power" was not my plan, I only said it would have been better than what we ended up doing. My plan was all about setting ourselves up for 2014 and beyond. That included trading away all FA-to be in the next 1-2 years players that we know we aren't going to extend (Ellsbury, Salty, Breslow...).

However, I do not think it is accurate to portray the 2013 team to be in about the same place as the 2012 team. 

I said, we are no better off "on paper" right now than we looked last year at this time. We are certainly better right now than we were last August and September.

The 2013 team has a lot more depth and a little financial flexibility left. 

One of the highlights of last year was our depth (Middlebrooks, Ross, Ciriaco, Pods, Shoppach...

I get the financial flex thing, but the fact remains, our budget is very close to 2012's.

At this point last season we were all hoping for Roy Oswalt and ended up with Aaron Cook, Prior, and Ohlendorf (I know we weren't ALL hoping for Oswalt, but we were all clamoring for a pitcher to come in and save the rotation, be it Oswalt or whomever was left on the opern market), knowing that Ben did not have the money to do much else. 

OK, Dempster may be a big uptick from Oswalt, but we lost Beckett. Like him or not, at least he gave us great seasons every odd year. Push at best.

This time around Ben still has time and flexibility to go after another quality starter, and he is already 7-8 quality arms deep (counting Doubront, Aceves and Morales as potential 5-7 starters, with De LaRosa in the wings).  A stronger bullpen by far.  And except for 1b, this team has more answers in the starting 9 than at this time last year, with more depth at catcher, depth and options at SS that should do better than Aviles ended up doing, and an OF that has at least as much ability and depth as last year (when we ended up with AGon playing games in RF).

Assuming Naps signs for $13M, we'll have about $8M to spend and stay under the luxury tax limit. I can't beleive I am saying that knowing we didn't sign Hamilton, Greinke or A Sanchez.

At least I hope I am right about this.  I prefer the 2013 Sox to the 2012 Sox by quite a bit already, and hold out strong hope that Ben is not yet done, either.

[/QUOTE]

Knowing what I know now, yes, I'd rather have Dempster, Lackey, Taz and a de la Rosa instead of Beckett, Dice-K and Cook. I'd not want CC over Shane. Another injury by CC turned me totally off, and Shane is cheaper and has less of a term. I'd rather have Cody than Jonny, but at their costs, I'm fine. I like D Ross and Uehara.

Knowing what I knew last year: I liked last year's team's 2012 chances better than I like ours now. However, I did say last year that I thought is was highly doubtful we could win without getting a 1/2 slot starter ( I mentioned G Gonzalez, then G Floyd, W Rodriguez and more). I don't see Dempster as a legitimate #2. He may pitch like a #3 this year, but I would not bet on it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

This should actually tell you that things are getting better for the Sox.  John Lackey is the last latter-day-Theo-era bloat left on the roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guru_Meditation. Show Guru_Meditation's posts

That Napoli disaster was pretty bad.

Winning the WS was pretty awful too.