Which of Pete Abraham's predictions Do You Agree With?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Which of Pete Abraham's predictions Do You Agree With?

If you have zero Internet allies or friends then you cannot have any in real life..... you must be very very very alone.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I agree Ellsbury is back in 2014.  Players are going to think twice before turning down qualifying offrrs next year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

joe must we educate u again? Will u please say now on record that you are a die-hard supporter of having Napli on this team?

[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with him, assuming the medicals pass.  He is about $1M overpaid.  The guy I wanted was Reynolds.

[/QUOTE]

Reynolds? Really? That is (was) food for thought..... too late now though. I NEVER considered him.

[/QUOTE]

• He has a .807 career OPS, which I think is about right.
    • By all accounts, he is a pretty fielder.
    • His K/W, while not a strength, was one of his best last year.
    • On a one-year contract, he is motivated.
    • At $6M, he is cheap.
    • Good Fenway stats
    • It's a long-shot, but if he reverted back to his 35-HR days, he'd be worth a QO.

We really need a 2-year player, maybe a 3-year player, but I just thought Reynolds provided great value for one year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To that end, here are some fearless (and probably stupid) predictions for 2013:

• The Sox won't make the playoffs; there's too much ground to make up and the rotation remains suspect. But they will have a winning record and be in contention for a playoff berth in September.

• The sellout streak will end April 10 against the Orioles, the second home game of the season. Outside of 4 Yawkey Way, nobody will be all that upset about it.

• Will Middlebrooks will hit 25 home runs, drive in 90 runs, and strike out 125 times, entertaining everybody along the way. He's on the verge of big things in Boston.

• David Ortiz will start slow then come on, getting to 25 homers before the season is over with an OPS of .850 or so.

• The easy prediction is that Jacoby Ellsbury will have a big year and depart as a free agent. But here's a guess that he just has a so-so year and ends up staying in Boston when the other options aren't as glittery as he hoped. The outlier for Ellsbury was 2011. You can't expect that again.

• John Farrell will make an example of somebody in spring training by releasing them or demoting them. The Red Sox have to stop coddling players who haven't won a playoff game since 2008 and Farrell has the gravitas to do that.

• Rubby De La Rosa makes 20 starts in the majors and wins 12 games.

• Felix Doubront will not make 20 starts or win 12 games.

• Fans will come to like John Lackey. Shane Victorino and Jonny Gomes, too. Lackey may not always say the right thing, but he goes about his business professionally and competes when he's on the mound.

• Bobby Valentine will tell a New York-based reporter something about a Red Sox player that he doesn't think is too controversial but ends up making big headlines. Dustin Pedroia, unfettered, will fire back. Yes, that is the easiest prediction ever.

• Another former manager, Terry Francona, will make a few comments in his upcoming book that cause a minor ruckus. That is the second-easiest prediction ever.

"Francona, The Red Sox Years" comes out Jan. 22 by the way.

• Speaking of Pedroia, this is a huge year for him. Is he still a perennial All-Star or a guy who beat up his body too much by playing with reckless abandon? He has had a lot of physical issues the last two seasons. The guess here is that he returns to form.

• Andrew Bailey (if he is still around) will end up with more saves than Joel Hanrahan. Closers are impossible to predict, especially ones who change leagues and are on the verge of free agency.

• Stephen Drew will play 145 games and do just fine, bitterly disappointing all the numbskulls who compared him to J.D. Until he broke his ankle, Stephen Drew went on the DL twice in his career. He's not his brother.

• Assuming he ends up signing, Mike Napoli will be just pretty decent. Now that he doesn't have the Red Sox pitching staff to smack around, his numbers will reflect it.

• Clay Buchholz makes the All-Star team. He has the best pure stuff on the staff, it's just a matter of when he pulls it all together.

• Many, many words will be written in spring training about all the catchers on the roster. Then once the season starts it proves not to be a big deal. Ryan Lavarnway is 25. He'll survive if he has to spent a little more time in Triple A.

• Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield, and eventually Pedro Martinez will start to wield some influence within the organization, especially Varitek.

• Finally, skeptical Red Sox fans will start to come back into the fold after enduring the big mess that started at the end of the 2011 season. The team will be easier to root for, the players more likable, and the expectations lowered enough to be reasonable for a change.

[/QUOTE]

I  agree with the middlebrooks prediction. Actually I believe his numbers wil be better than predicted.

Also think Rubby De la Rosa will make a bunch of starts eventually will be one of the five starter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm okay with him, assuming the medicals pass.  He is about $1M overpaid.  The guy I wanted was Reynolds.

[/QUOTE]

Reynolds? Really? That is (was) food for thought..... too late now though. I NEVER considered him.

[/QUOTE]

• At $6M, he is cheap.
    • Good Fenway stats
    • It's a long-shot, but if he reverted back to his 35-HR days, he'd be worth a QO.

We really need a 2-year player, maybe a 3-year player, but I just thought Reynolds provided great value for one year.

[/QUOTE]

Reynolds was the second worst fielder at any position in 2011, behind only Y. Betancourt (according to Bill James’ Runs Saved analysis).

For 2011, MR was the worst 3B in MLB by UZR (3X worse than the 2nd worst) and dWAR from BBall-Ref.  

For 2012, MR was the third worst 1B in MLB (UZR).

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

1-Two catchers is 'plenty'?

2-Neither averaged 115 GS as catcher for their career.  Posada had 1450 starts in 17 seasons, and Tek had 1372 starts in 15 seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Are you this dense or are you just playing with me?

Of course neither tek nor Posada "averaged" over 115 starts a season over their entire careers. That's why I said for "most" of their careers. napoli has reached that plateau exactly ONCE in his career.

After just a quick search, something you were to lazy to do, you can add Munson, fisk, piazza, pudge, Berra and Campanella as some other catchers who caught more than 115 games a year for the bulk of their career. Now, granted, like napoli, Berra did play some 1B as well as some OF.

Heck, even a legend like Butch Wynegar had several seasons with 115++ starts.

You should spend less time here and more time actually learning something about baseball.

That is, unless, you prefer to get schooled in here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

How many catchers average more than 115?

http://reconditebaseball.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/tough-catchers.html

Starting Catchers Avg.   MLB   '88 - '08   ~117 / Yr        2008  115 / Yr 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Here's where I disagree:

- Ellsbury won't have a big year as he is made of porcelain.

- The fans won't love John Lackey because he is terrible. In general, Sox fans don't like the highest paid Sox pitcher in history if his ERA is over 4.5 and it will be.

- Andrew Bailey won't have more save than Hanrahan for one of two reasons: Andrew Bailey is also made of fine China or he isn't good enough to close in AL East.

Here's my prediction Ellsbury doesn't finish the year in a Boston uniform. The starting staff simply isn't that good-- Victorino, Pedey, Middlebrooks will make the lineup fun and easy to root for. The pen will be the strongest part of the pitching. That being said... in July Sox will be 7 back of the Rays in the division, 5 back of Jays for WC, but only 3 back of 2nd WC team. Sox fans will scream "we are in it, we are still in it" Ben will make a Theo type move to rid Ellsbury. The biggest difference will be Theo's move helped the Sox the same year, we will see Ben's move help the Sox for 2014. I'll keep saying it-- this is a transition year setting up 2014 and beyond!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Just playing with you. When I am a bit tired, and don't want to do any real work, I like to toy with the trolls.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• At $6M, he is cheap.
    • Good Fenway stats

[/QUOTE]

Reynolds was the second worst fielder at any position in 2011, behind only Y. Betancourt (according to Bill James’ Runs Saved analysis).

For 2011, MR was the worst 3B in MLB by UZR (3X worse than the 2nd worst) and dWAR from BBall-Ref.  

For 2012, MR was the third worst 1B in MLB (UZR).

[/QUOTE]

Reynolds has only played 1B regularly for one year. UZR is almost completely unreliable for one year.

From the BA Sun-The move immediately made Reynolds, who distinguished himself as a fine defensive first baseman once he was moved there in mid-May, a free agent open to contract dialogue with any major league club.

He’s been playing like a Gold Glove first baseman,” J.J. Hardy told The Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly. ”Is he going to win a Gold Glove? No. But would I choose him to be my first baseman over a lot of guys? Yeah, I would.”

Defensively he was a train wreck at third base, where he played in Arizona. Baltimore moved him over to first base last season and saw a dramatic change with his glove. While he won’t be Kotchman at first, he became a very solid defensive player.

Those are just various articles I've sen, and I've seen others.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've heard this one a few times, and it's kind of irritating.  Yes, Napoli has a 1.075 OPS against Red Sox pitching.  But he also has a 1.017 against Yankees pitching, and a .907 against Rays pitching.  Considering how perfect Fenway is for his swing, it's stupid to say he's just been fattening up on lousy Red Sox pitching.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't we hear the same thing about agon?

How'd that work out?

[/QUOTE]

The difference is that Napoli has an actual history of playing in Fenway.

[/QUOTE]

Another difference is that Napoli has never been a member of the Red Sox and remains that way to this day. I don't think we will make the playoffs with or without him and if we do have a winning record it will be only by a few games. The Red Sox are about a .500 team IMO as things now stand.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Kitzingen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just playing with you. When I am a bit tired, and don't want to do any real work, I like to toy with the trolls.

[/QUOTE]

What are trolls?

[/QUOTE]

Here is the Wikipedia definition of a troll:

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

A synonym would be  "Pike".

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pike has never to expressed false concerns about Red Sox players , manager, staff, and management. Only trolls do that. Pike doesn't hate any players, manager, staff, GM, or owners. Only trolls do that. Pike only dislikes forum phonies, pretenders, and liars. Today Moonslav admitted that Softlaw is a liar and pretender and that is a troll. What do you say about that? Moonslav wants to expose Softlaw as a liar. I say that Softlaw is both a liar and also a troll and that he is wasting his time. What say you Pumpsie? Are you also a troll? Be honest.

[/QUOTE]

Lighten up Pike. I was just having a little fun joking with you. My only gripe about you is that 90% of what you post is about other posters and not about baseball. No one appointed you as forum policeman as far as I know