Which of Pete Abraham's predictions Do You Agree With?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Which of Pete Abraham's predictions Do You Agree With?

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

• Assuming he ends up signing, Mike Napoli will be just pretty decent. Now that he doesn't have the Red Sox pitching staff to smack around, his numbers will reflect it.

I've heard this one a few times, and it's kind of irritating.  Yes, Napoli has a 1.075 OPS against Red Sox pitching.  But he also has a 1.017 against Yankees pitching, and a .907 against Rays pitching.  Considering how perfect Fenway is for his swing, it's stupid to say he's just been fattening up on lousy Red Sox pitching.

Didn't we hear the same thing about agon?

How'd that work out?

So is it your contention that he did not hit well at Fenway?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The difference is that Napoli has an actual history of playing in Fenway.

He also has an actual history of struggling to appear in 115 games a season, something that agon never had a problem with.

How many games do catchers usually appear in?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He also has an actual history of struggling to appear in 115 games a season, something that agon never had a problem with.

AGon has also never caught a game.

There's been plenty of catchers who have averaged more than 115 games a season. That's a pretty lame excuse, especially because napoli has also played 1B and DH 

• How many catchers average more than 115?  'Plenty' is not a number.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

There's been plenty of catchers who have averaged more than 115 games a season. That's a pretty lame excuse, especially because napoli has also played 1B and DH 

How many catchers average more than 115?  'Plenty' is not a number.

• Geez, are your fingers broken or are you just too lazy to look it up yourself.

Heck, even tek caught more than 115 games for most of his career. So did Posada. Those are two off the top of my head without even looking it up.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

joe must we educate u again? Will u please say now on record that you are a die-hard supporter of having Napli on this team?

VIRTUALLY EVERY catcher worth his salt caught in 125+ games a year..... Napoli has the luxury of being a DH and still can barely muster 109 games in a season.....

Do we need a DH joe (no)?  Do we need a catcher that is mobile (we have 2 already)? How about a first-basemen that can play the field (yes)? Where does Napoli fit in?

Tell us now Joe that Napoli would make a great center-fielder.

How many catchers average more than 115?  'Plenty' is not a number.

Geez, are your fingers broken or are you just too lazy to look it up yourself.

Heck, even tek caught more than 115 games for most of his career. So did Posada. Those are two off the top of my head without even looking it up.

1-Two catchers is 'plenty'?

2-Neither averaged 115 GS as catcher for their career.  Posada had 1450 starts in 17 seasons, and Tek had 1372 starts in 15 seasons.

so sad, so very sad. 

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

joe must we educate u again? Will u please say now on record that you are a die-hard supporter of having Napli on this team?

I'm okay with him, assuming the medicals pass.  He is about $1M overpaid.  The guy I wanted was Reynolds.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

Responding to Babe, the troll? Shameful enabling. Why not start a thread of your own? Does Babe have more energy, gumption, and fortitude than you do? Why are most threads started by trolls, the ignorant, and the senile? Why don't the most intelligent, reasonable, and logical, ever start threads instead of responding to trolls? Please respond?

And starting a duplicate thread with the exact same content (since obviously this is a copy-and-paste on a perfectly legitimate topic) would accomplish what exactly?

Get a life already, Pike.

VIRTUALLY EVERY catcher worth his salt caught in 125+ games a year..... Napoli has the luxury of being a DH and still can barely muster 109 games in a season.....

Do we need a DH joe (no)?  Do we need a catcher that is mobile (we have 2 already)? How about a first-basemen that can play the field (yes)? Where does Napoli fit in?

Tell us now Joe that Napoli would make a great center-fielder.

Why would you want Napoli to play center-field?

Let's make it nice and easy.  If the RS sign Napoli, how many games do you think he'll start?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Here's a prediction, after seeing Doubront in the Minors, if this Coaching Staff, would work his Curveball more in games he will win 15 games. When I saw Doubie pitch, he was hitting 90-91 on the gun, and his Curveball was his Strikeout Pitch, its a very good one. Now he has gotten stronger hittting 94-95. Watch out for this kid.
    Only way he wont start 20 games is if he gets injured.

I think that is the essence of the prediction...Doubront is an injury waiting to happen,  He pitched 10 innings of ML ball in 2011, and 161 innings in 2012.  If he doesn't have an injury, and pitches, say, 30 games, he will almost certainly pitch 180 - 190 innings minimum.  The conventional wisdom is that after such an increase from 2011-2012 that he will not be able to pitch 180 - 190 innings.  He will suffer some arm problem preventing that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[/QUOTE]

That was exactly my reaction, as well.  If all of his other predictions come true it would almost dictate that they DO make the playoffs, making that prediction illogical at best.  But if that prediction is truly NOT so unlikely (and many here seem to be on the same bandwagon with Abraham in believing this Sox team will not even sniff the playoffs, let alone make them) then his other predictions must be wildly off base. 

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, all that could happen and the Sox win 90 games and still not make the playoffs. But also, as far as starting pitching goes, he only said Buchholz and Lackey would be good. He never mentioned Lester or Dempster. 

[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct about that.  But I would hope that 90 wins is enough.  We shall see.

I actually agreed with his predictions for the most part. Really, when you look at it, they're hardly big risks. All of them very well could come true.

I thought the same thing.

The one I really hope comes true is De La Rosa breaking into the rotation...this would be huge.

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

Enchilda is obsessed with hatred for Napoli for the same reason that Andrewmitch was the forum's #1 hater of Crawford. Enchilda wants that forum identity, the feather in his hat, recognition, and to be a conflict seeker. It is extremely important for Enchilada to establish his stake / claim on being the #1 critic of Napoli. 

Yes and Crawford was awesome.....

I'm okay with him, assuming the medicals pass.  He is about $1M overpaid.  The guy I wanted was Reynolds.

Reynolds? Really? That is (was) food for thought..... too late now though. I NEVER considered him.

Reynolds signed for only 1 year and $6 million...would have been nice for us to get in on. (As I said a couple of months ago, I could live with his strikeouts for the huge power he'd bring to the table.) But I think the Sox were set on Napoli all along.

Yes they were/are so focussed they cannot walk away.... even when they should. Napoli is a K's machine btw.

point is I am right..... useless toool pike.

• Sections
    Shortcuts