Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?

ISO        wRC+         Fielding          WAR (Fnghs)
    Ellsbury '11     .230         150              15.6               9.4
    Lynn '79          .303         174               9.0               9.0
    Rice '78          .285          162               8.0               8.1 
    Yaz '67           .295          194               23.0            12.1      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?

No contest - in '67, Kaline was second in WAR with 7.3. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Anyone old enough has to vote Yaz, I should think.  Last Triple Crown in 45 years?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

All fantastic seasons, but I agree, this one has to be Yaz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

im too young to vote on this one lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Yaz had a year for the ages, I can't remember a year when one player carried a team. He not only got clutch hit after clutch hit, but played gold glove LF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yaz in '67 was one of the greatest OF years in baseball history.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Easy if you are over 50. Yaz because it meant so much in RED SOX history. Pretty much a last place team taken to the mountain top by Yaz along with Williams, Lonborg and a cast that never quit on themselves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?:
    Easy if you are over 50. Yaz because it meant so much in RED SOX history. Pretty much a last place team taken to the mountain top by Yaz along with Williams, Lonborg and a cast that never quit on themselves.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida
     Plus the playoffs were the last 2 weeks of the season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was 3 in 67 so i dont remember Yaz but i was a bit surprised to see no asterix concerning his triple crown because he tied for the home run lead....it still was an amazing year but shouldnt that have been at least referenced? Whatever i think we wont see that again in my remaining lifetime...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gareman2. Show gareman2's posts

The fact that Yaz tied in HRs is kind of nitpicky in my estimation.  He also did not lead the majors in all categories, just the American League - like a few other Triple Crowners - does that not make them true Triple Crowners? 

And going back, do we also have to take into consideration other competition from the Negro Leagues, not allowed to compete.  But in their leagues, may have put up better numbers.  Would that make those Triple Crowners less worthy of the title?

And what about the dead ball era?  The first 5 Triple Crowners had less than 20 HRs ... and the first, Paul Hines in 1878, had only 4 HRs with 50 RBIs.  Still, we was deemed a Triple Crowner because he led his league. 

I don't know, looking for an asterisk just so that we can qualify history leaves an awful lot of history to qualify.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Tom...that's a rather cheeky post, given Softy's well-known prejudices, but it's easy to place the runners from the Bigot Prime's perspective:

1) Lynn.  Slim, handsome in a vanilla, anglo-saxon, sense...West Coast morals (Softy's assumption) gives Softy a chance at a close, personal relationship with someone out of his league.
    2) Ellsbury.  More disturbing.  Extremely handsome bloke, and far younger than the gold-hoarding weirdo, Ellsbury's progessive success makes Softy's "chances" fade by the week.  Perhaps that explains Softy's claims to Cherokee heritage?
    3)  Rice. Softy's only semi-realistic hope - whatever Softy's hope is - is based on JER's alleged self-medication.  I reckon Rice would despise Softy and feed him to his dogs rather than.....you know....
    4)  Yaz. Are you kidding me?  If Softy cast his creepy gaze and opinions on Yaz he'd be beaten to death with a kielbasa within seconds by Yaz' grandma.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Sorry but this is a flawed question as Ted Williams had the single best season ever of any player in Baseball in 1941. In my life time it is easy to say Yaz. I was a touch too young to know much about what Yaz was doing in 67 though I do remember how big a deal it was to my dad.  But Teddy Ball game had the best ever for any position in MLB so just for a quick look at his offensive numbers here they are:
    Ted Williams .406 in 1941 with 147 walks, OBP .553, Slugging % .735, and OPS 1.287, 135 runs scored, 37 HR's, 120 RBI, 335 total bases. Just 27 SO's!
    His WAR was 11.3 and Fielding % was .961 when his contemporaries had a % of .973 so there was that minor defect but other then that his numbers were awesome.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Sorry but this is a flawed question as Ted Williams had the single best season ever of any player in Baseball in 1941. In my life time it is easy to say Yaz. I was a touch too young to know much about what Yaz was doing in 67 though I do remember how big a deal it was to my dad.  But Teddy Ball game had the best ever for any position in MLB so just for a quick look at his offensive numbers here they are: Ted Williams .406 in 1941 with 147 walks, OBP .553, Slugging % .735, and OPS 1.287, 135 runs scored, 37 HR's, 120 RBI, 335 total bases. Just 27 SO's! His WAR was 11.3 and Fielding % was .961 when his contemporaries had a % of .973 so there was that minor defect but other then that his numbers were awesome.
    Posted by DaBlade

Hmmm.  My best friend has the irritating habit of saying that The Ted "was the greatest at 3 things:  batting, fishing and flying".  He's actually a highly intelligent person, but prone to what I call "expertism" at times.

Fishing?:  Don't know, don't care, seems unlikely.
    Flying (fighter pilot-wise):  Don't know, do care in a sense, seems comically unlikely. 
    Batting:  See Ruth, Babe.  His relative numbers far exceed the great Ted's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Silly post! Nothing ever has or ever will beat 67 . Not only was it great hittting it was clutch, plus he was also the best defensive player ever for one year. To Chilli ...chill Ted was the GREATEST hitter ever and the greatest flier that people will ever know about. He was also one of the greatest talkers ever!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Chilli has been on a campaign lately to garner favor from Yankee fans for whatever reason. I don't think his opinion should count for much.

Hey Chilli, just go after me in a post. Oh...wait...you already did that. My bad. Guess it will take a few more posts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Yaz did win the triple crown. On the other hand Rice had three straight years of triple crown numbers, (77-79) Yaz never did that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Silly post! Nothing ever has or ever will beat 67 . Not only was it great hittting it was clutch, plus he was also the best defensive player ever for one year. To Chilli ...chill Ted was the GREATEST hitter ever and the greatest flier that people will ever know about. He was also one of the greatest talkers ever!
    Posted by maxnsl

Max, you missed the whole point of this OP.  It was to show that Ellsbury had a great year.  A case can be made that it was the second best of the four.   I put it up to be cheeky towards the Ellsbury detractors.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am sure Tris Speaker would dominate them all... 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Chilli has been on a campaign lately to garner favor from Yankee fans for whatever reason. I don't think his opinion should count for much. Hey Chilli, just go after me in a post. Oh...wait...you already did that. My bad. Guess it will take a few more posts.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Kim - I don't think I have ever directly or indirectly addressed you before.  If I am mistaken, please refresh my memory.  Details will be welcomed and addressed.

BTW, if you want your righteous indignation about being labelled as another of Pike's pseudonyms to be taken seriously, you might want to stop posting comments like this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

jim rice

rice played for beantowne for sixteen seasons. He was suspended in 1988 for shoving manager joe morgan. rice's career average was .298. He played in eighteen postseason games (in 1986 & 1988) -- and batted .225. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Anyone old enough has to vote Yaz, I should think.  Last Triple Crown in 45 years?
    Posted by parhunter55

Yaz, easy choice.

Sections
Shortcuts