Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?

Incredibly, Yaz had no walk-off HR's in '67, and only hit two homers in the bottom of the eighth, both in games the Sox were already winning. Don't let anyone ever tell you they saw Yaz hit a walk-off in '67, it never happened!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? : Baseball historian, Mr. Thorn, says that if you name any one but Ruth or Williams as the greatest hitter ever, you have never been to a ball game. Obviously, Cobb is in the mix, but played in an era when a hurricane couldn't hit a ball over the outfield crowds. Also, as Ted himslf has said, the advent of the slider, night ball, and different makeup of bats and balls is unfair to Cobb. Safe to say that Ted was the greatest of anyone joining in this discussion because we have little tape and even fewer who have seen Cobb or Babe play.
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

The baseball encyclopedia, which factors in the era of which you play , ballparks etc. They rate Ruth#1 and Willie mays#2, and Mays missed two years for the Korean war, and would have been the first to break Ruth's record if he had those years back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? : Baseball historian, Mr. Thorn, says that if you name any one but Ruth or Williams as the greatest hitter ever, you have never been to a ball game. Obviously, Cobb is in the mix, but played in an era when a hurricane couldn't hit a ball over the outfield crowds. Also, as Ted himslf has said, the advent of the slider, night ball, and different makeup of bats and balls is unfair to Cobb. Safe to say that Ted was the greatest of anyone joining in this discussion because we have little tape and even fewer who have seen Cobb or Babe play.
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

I'm glad for Mr. Thorn; and the venerable Bill James has overreacted to Derek Jeter's limitations. But yes, I'll concede Cobb is likely not in their category with the bat. Let's also not forget Ted's Home #s were far better than his road #s, even with the brutal RF HR distance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? :  The baseball encyclopedia, which factors in the era of which you play , ballparks etc. They rate Ruth#1 and Willie mays#2, and Mays missed two years for the Korean war, and would have been the first to break Ruth's record if he had those years back.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

This should be a bucket of cold water for the homeritis found here.

Lou Brock

Ted Williams

Bill Dickey

Christy Mathewson

Willie McCovey

Lou Gehrig

George Brett

Hank Aaron

Harry Heilmann

Walter Johnson

Roger Clemens

Ty Cobb

Whitey Ford

Willie Mays

Rickey Henderson

Babe Ruth

Rank

Name

Rank

Name

Baseball's 100 Greatest Players by The Sporting News

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Talk about getting off subject:
    Yaz had the best season off of this list. Ell's was sensational in 2012 and deserving of the MVP award.

By the way, the best Red Sox hitter I watched play at Fenway was Ted Williams. I don't need an expert to tell me otherwise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? : This should be a bucket of cold water for the homeritis found here. 58 Lou Brock 8 Ted Williams 57 Bill Dickey 7 Christy Mathewson 56 Willie McCovey 6 Lou Gehrig 55 George Brett 5 Hank Aaron 54 Harry Heilmann 4 Walter Johnson 53 Roger Clemens 3 Ty Cobb 52 Whitey Ford 2 Willie Mays 51 Rickey Henderson 1 Babe Ruth Rank Name Rank Name Baseball's 100 Greatest Players  by  The Sporting News    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/lisn100.shtml
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

May's had a breif tryout with Sox before signing with the Giants. It lasted about 15 minutes in the pouring rain, I'll always wonder how many HR's he would have had playing his career in Fenway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? :   May's had a breif tryout with Sox before signing with the Giants. It lasted about 15 minutes in the pouring rain, I'll always wonder how many HR's he would have had playing his career in Fenway.

You can thank Yawkey's racist bent for that; not that the Yankees in those days were any different, and it finally caught up to them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? : You can thank Yawkey's racist bent for that; not that the Yankees in those days were any different, and it finally caught up to them.

Couldn't agree more, it wasn't any curse that kept the Sox from winning, it was the Yawkey's. I remember the company line when I was a youth, is that Tom Yawkey would do anything for a championship, it should have been anything besides playing black ballplayers. It is an insult to any fair minded person that he has a street named after him. Yes I know about his connection with the Jimmy Fund, it doesn't give him a pass on being a racist.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? :    Couldn't agree more, it wasn't any curse that kept the Sox from winning, it was the Yawkey's. I remember the company line when I was a youth, is that Tom Yawkey would do anything for a championship, it should have been anything besides playing black ballplayers. It is an insult to any fair minded person that he has a street named after him. Yes I know about his connection with the Jimmy Fund, it doesn't give him a pass on being a racist.

Country clubbing with his players didn't help either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Yaz, no question on this one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? : Country clubbing with his players didn't help either.

Does the name, Carl Yastrzemski, ring a bell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which of these great years by a Sox OF is the best? : If you're going to play that game:  Yaz won three batting titles and nearly a fourth. Rice won none. Yaz had two seasons with an OPS over 1.000 and led the league in OPS for times. Rice never was over 1.000 in OPS and led the league in OPS just once.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    I'm not saying Rice was better then Yaz, I'm just saying those three monster years by Rice are often overlooked. Yaz certainly was more consistent as each player got older. We were spoiled that we had 2 HOF left fielders who played together at the same time.( 75-83) And I think we all agree that next to Ted Williams, Manny Ramirez like him or not, is the second best slugger in Red Sox history. Every year he was either great or very good. Jimmy Foxx had some awesome years here also but most of his were with the A's

Sections
Shortcuts