Which players will sign with the Red Sox at the Winter Meetings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Which players will sign with the Red Sox at the Winter Meetings?

I do think we are going to sign a couple players at the Winter Meetings. I think Ortiz will accept abritration and stay with the Red Sox. I also think we will sign Ryan Madson to a two or three year deal.

Who do you think we will sign?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Which players will sign with the Red Sox at the Winter Meetings?

The Red Sox need a proven closer who is not necessarily dominant any longer and is willing to pitch middle relief. Then if Bard cannot handle the job we have someone who knows how to close, and if need be that buys us time to go get one of about five good closers that will be available in June/July.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Sox have a proven closer who is not necessarily dominant - Jenks.  They need to move on a pitcher, whether it be a closer or a starter.  If it is a closer, they can think about moving Bard to a starter.  If not, he stays as a closer and Sox build depth behind him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3963946. Show user_3963946's posts

kuroda/buerhle, beltran, oswalt or trade of garza and a pair of relievers. a number of pitchers on minor league will be acquired for depth...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't think moving Bard or Aceves into a starters role helps to improve the team. They need at leasr one more middle reliever, possibly a closer, and certianly 2 starters. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

bard should close, period.  if jenks is healthy there is a good chance he can handle the 8th.   Ortiz will IMO will check out the market, i am sure someone will over pay for him.  doubt it will be the yanks but you never know with them.  Cherry and the sox managment team need to deepen the starting rotation and the bullpen so i think pitching will be the priority during the meetings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

BP, SP and RF needs to be addressed. The Orioles are in need of a DH and reportedly have expressed interest in Ortiz. Last yrs DH Vlad Guerrero didn't put up the numbers the Orioles expected, 13/63/.290 and Ortiz could take advantage of Camden Yards short RF porch but I don't see any team giving him a 3 yr contract. Even if he walks, DH will be more than adequately filled w/a potential combo of Lavanway f/t and Youkilis and AGon when they needs some rest. Matter of fact I prefer this combo as opposed to a one dimensional player like Ortiz. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

First of all keep Bard as the closer. He's been behind Paps for awhile,mentally this is what he thinks,or might have been projected if Paps left. Secondly... I think Garza would be a great pick-up. Keep Aceves in the BP,along with maybe Matt Capps,I think Jenks comes back for a good year. Bring back Bedard,and sign Cuddyer. Of course Papi also......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Give Bard the closer's job and find a good set-up man for him.     Keep Aceves in the long relief role he did so well at last season.     Find 2 back end starters on the cheap.    Sign Beltran for RF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I would not resign Ortiz, move Youk to Dh and use the extra money on pitching.  I would sign madson, I don't think Bard really has the make-up yo be the closer, I hope I am wrong about Bard.  I would go after Gio Gonzalez or Danks.  I would let either Kalish or Reddick develope in RF.  We cannot depend on Jenks, Aceves while very valuable in the  long relieve role deserves a shot to start.  I would like to see us sign both Madson And capps and maybe one more reliever.  We need to build our Bullpen.  They say we don't have much money so we need to concentrate on pitching with our dollars.  If we would trade Youk then we must re-sign Ortiz. We can't afford Willingham, he wants between 10-12 per same with Beltran.  I would go with the kids in RH and spend on pitching.  It is a double edged sorward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I still don't understand why everyone wants to make Bard and Aceves starters. I understand Aceves wants to be in the rotation...I want to be their right fielder, doesn't mean it should happen. If the Sox get another closer, then I say keep them exactly in the roles they're in...They're perfect in them. Aceves is going to become the Sox new Wakefield type hybrid out of the pen. He can spot start when need be...he can throw 5 innings when someone has a terrible start or gets hurt...and he can pitch your regular couple relief innings when the game's going how it should. Bard will either pitch a dominant 8th or 9th with another closer or former closer brought in for the other inning.

If you're successful at a position and fit the team well in that position, then there's no need to try to switch to another. We only have to look to New York and Joba Chamberlain for the ending to that story.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I'm still nowhere close to sold on Wilson. He's had one very good year and one pretty good year, with absolutely zero playoff success. Not what I'd be looking for in a starter who's supposedly a front of the rotation guy. I feel like, with aceves, you get a number 5 starter or at best a number 4. There's plenty of guys out there who can come in and fill that role, but there's not many guys who can be as reliable in that unique 'pen position that he filled last year. I don't think people appreciate how vital that spot is for a team. That, setup man and closer are, in my eyes, just as important as a second baseman for example. People tend to view everyone but the closer as "just a bullpen spot" with guys who are "just not good enough to be starters"...and really, it's easier to get through with one bad starter than a mediocre bullpen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Papi comes back for 2 yrs ($10 & $9M) + 3rd yr team's option ($8M)

Sox make trade with Cubs Reddick, Lowrie, and a PTBN for Soriano (Cubs paying 2/3 of his remaining salary as Theo compensation) & Garza

Sox sign Roy Oswalt for 2 yrs ($12 & $10M) + 3rd yr team's option ($8M)

Sox sign Joel Zumaya & Mike Gonzalez 1 yr ($3 & $4M respectively) contract + 2nd yr team's option

Sox sign Ryan Madson as our closer 2 yrs ($18M)+ 3rd yr player option ($9M)+ 4th yr team's option ($7M)

2012 roster would look like

Jacoby Ellsbury CF

Carl Crawford LF

Dustin Pedroia 2B

Adrian Gonzalez 1B

David Ortiz DH

Alfonso Soriano RF

Kevin Youkilis 3B/DH

Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

Marco Scutaro SS

Ryan Kalish RF, Ryan Lavarnway C, Mike Aviles IF, Jose Igglesis SS

Jon Lester

Josh Beckett

Roy Oswalt

Matt Garza

Clay Bucholz

Alfredo Aceves, Bobby Jenks, Mike Gonzalez, Joel Zumaya, Franklin Morales, Daniel Bard, Ryan Madson

Projected 2012 Sox payroll = about $180M

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I see virtually nothing on our forum about Josh Willingham--is there a problem with him? He seems to be a player mentioned by other teams and not the Sox.
    It appears the guys power numbers are good. Might provide good protection for AGon and can play the OF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Cubbies will eat half of Soriano contract. Put him in right. Placid Polanco and Olando Hudson for bench - both good role and clubhouse guys...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

If the Red Sox do sign a Closer as a safeguard if Bard does not succeed as the Closer, it would be probably be a good idea to use that pitcher as a setup man to replace Bard in 8th inning, and in some 7th inning situations, to use that pitcher as a middle relief man would require that he be stretched out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Josh Willingham.

My lips to God's ears.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

first I hope ortiz turns down abritration, it's time to move on, the RS can get two or three good players for the 13 millon it would cost to keep ortiz for 2012. 

i like Josh Willingham to play at dh, and some left field, the sign Cuddyer to play right field and some dh, 

you can probably get both players for what they would pay ortiz. and maybe even get a good bull pen pitcher too.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

In Response to Re: Which players will sign with the Red Sox at the Winter Meetings?:
    [QUOTE]Sox have a proven closer who is not necessarily dominant - Jenks.  They need to move on a pitcher, whether it be a closer or a starter.  If it is a closer, they can think about moving Bard to a starter.  If not, he stays as a closer and Sox build depth behind him.
    Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE]

The only thing Jenks has proven to me in his short career in Boston is that he can down a lot of Chilli Dogs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

The Red Sox will sign David Ortiz (Papi) back for 2 years $12-$11= 23 M plus a 3 year team option of $9. Also they will sign Francisco Rodriguez Krod for 3 years and 24 million "less than pap and mandson" and he is a pure closer. They should sign Beltran to be in the right field. They are going to sign Mike Gonzalez for bullpen help and are going hard to get Joel Zumaya. They should stay away of big names pitchers such as Wilson, Buherle, and Jackson, rather than that they should sign two risky pitchers such as Bedard, Harden, Webb, and Kuroda. Of those 4 I would like to have Kuroda and maybe harden in my rotation. If I were the sox GM, I will try to deal Youkilis since he is in his final year and sign Aramis Ramirez but this seems to be highly unlikely. So whit thats been said this would be my projected Lineup:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    2. Dustin Pedroia 2B
    3. Adrian Gonzalez 1B
    4. Carlos Beltran RF
    5. David Ortiz DH
    6. Kevin Youkilis 3B or my trade Aramis Ramirez
    7. Carl Crawford LF
    8. Salty C
    9. Marco Scutaro SS

Bench Players

Lavarnway, Kalish, Aviles, Lowire

Pitchers

1. Beckett
    2. Lester
    3. Buchholz
    4. Kuroda
    5. Harden, Webb Or (Oswalt if comes cheap)

Bullpen

KROD Closer
    Bard Set Up
    Aceves
    jenks
    Zumaya
    Morales
    Gonzalez
    Albers
    Wheeler

Great Team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Thought that the Red Sox only have 20 million dollars left to spend??  And I am seeing few roster that is already exceeded past the luxury tax limit!!!

Either they keep Papi or get Beltran instead.

Either they get Oswalt or Webb

Either they trade Lowrie or Youkilis along with prospects for a starting pitcher.

They are not going to get Gonzelez or K-rod!!

They will eventually sign few cheap healthy bullpen during the month of January when these leftover cant find a team!!

That is what I think it is going happen above!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

Think about last year when THEO said that they will not make a big splash and after that BUM they sign Crawford and trade for Gonzalez. Now this year there is a report saying that they have 20 million to spend, but this report is not coming from the GM or the owner, this is a report based on their Luxury tax comparison from last year. You have to realize that they could spend 20, 25, 30, or maybe 40 to get their luxury tax no more than 180. In Response to Re: Which players will sign with the Red Sox at the Winter Meetings?:
    [QUOTE]Thought that the Red Sox only have 20 million dollars left to spend??  And I am seeing few roster that is already exceeded past the luxury tax limit!!! Either they keep Papi or get Beltran instead. Either they get Oswalt or Webb Either they trade Lowrie or Youkilis along with prospects for a starting pitcher. They are not going to get Gonzelez or K-rod!! They will eventually sign few cheap healthy bullpen during the month of January when these leftover cant find a team!! That is what I think it is going happen above!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching...all of the rest will be available anytime the Sox want them.