Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

I don't quite see Sox signing 2 or more SP this winter unless we lose one via trade.  Sox have resources both prospect wise and monetary wise to pull off a huge contract or trade.  So.. who do you want to see Sox going after? Trade or FA?  

I personally see Sox landing Cliff Lee.  I know he's getting aged and all that but he's Cliff Lee.  I think he would only help the team for another 2-3 yrs, not hurting the team.  Trade has to include multiple players from both sides and lots of money have to be involved as well but I think he's kind of pitcher that worth all of that.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

It's gonna be tough, w/ Grienke looking for Sabathia money. I think Sanchez is #2 and would fit nicely, and it's not a question of IF we can afford him. It's a question of do we want to afford him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

It's gonna be tough, w/ Grienke looking for Sabathia money. I think Sanchez is #2 and would fit nicely, and it's not a question of IF we can afford him. It's a question of do we want to afford him.

going to have to disagree sanchez is a #3 at best. i would say hes really a #4 but he is young and has that going for him so i'm willing to say hes a #3 with expected improvement. but with a huge contract he will probably get (due to the poor FA pool) i'm over it. i'd like to really get loshe or trade for floyd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First is Sanchez (but more likely Boston is going to back away from him since Sanchez will try to find the second high starting pitcher contract behind Greinke), and second is Lohse.  Lohse can be signed for one to two years to buy some time for these Boston farm system to try to become a major league ready pitcher before the 2014 season.

After that, I do not see anyone else can come in and do his job for the Boston team.  Next solution is via trade.  

Seriously, there are not much out there for Boston as well for anyone.  Maybe Boston may have to over pay someone such as to over pay Sanchez or Lohse!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I think Brandon McCarthy and Lohse would fill in nice with the sox. The sox will have a veteran line up that should work opposing pitchers and will find way to manage runs. I think if you sign both these guys you have a good chance to win each night. They wont very often go out and pitch shut out ball but they wont give up 5 runs in 5 innings. That way you not stuck paying 20+ mil a year for a 2nd or 3rd tier pitcher like Grienke or Sanchez. They wont demand to high or lenth of contracts(unless Cherington does another Victorino) shouldn't be a concern. That way next year you have plenty of money to sign/trade a top tier pitcher that will fit in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

I think Brandon McCarthy and Lohse would fill in nice with the sox. The sox will have a veteran line up that should work opposing pitchers and will find way to manage runs. I think if you sign both these guys you have a good chance to win each night. They wont very often go out and pitch shut out ball but they wont give up 5 runs in 5 innings. That way you not stuck paying 20+ mil a year for a 2nd or 3rd tier pitcher like Grienke or Sanchez. They wont demand to high or lenth of contracts(unless Cherington does another Victorino) shouldn't be a concern. That way next year you have plenty of money to sign/trade a top tier pitcher that will fit in Boston.

I'd like McCarthy...not high on Lohse. I don't know what he's asking for, but he was a 4.80 ERA, 1.40 WHIP type pitcher for most of his career in the American League before having a couple of nice seasons in St. Louis. Not somebody I'd want to "buy high" on in this market.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

McCarthy and Marcum. 

I think a 3-year, $27 million for each will be enough to sign them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Yeah.. I think Ben has his fetish on offering 3 yrs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

I want Snachez first. I think Marcum could be a great sign and McCarthy is someone who I wouldn't mind seeing signed to a Boston contract. All the rest stink imo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

cliff lee

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I like Mc Carthy, but I als would go for Cliff Lee. He can be easily had from the Phillies.....they would love to free up that money, so he will cost less in a trade than he normally would be worth. If we think we are not going to resign Ells, considering the philles need for a CF, he is a piece they would want. Considering Lee is due 75mm over the next 3 years, and maybe even another 27.5 vesting....Even up for Ells, with them given a window to do an extension....is probably more than the Philles should get, unless they want to eat some $

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

McCarthy.  TY Ben.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

cliff lee

Ellsbury and Nava for Cliff Lee.  But I want the Phillies to pay at least $5 million out of the $25 million/year that Lee makes.

If the Phillies want Victorino to return then let's send him too.  LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Too bad Phillies got their CF now.. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I keep hearing David Price is available.  I dont know if the Rays would trade him in the division; however, if he is actually available....

...Name your price

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Brett Anderson: make it happen.

Breslow, Lava, Tazawa, Cecchini, and Vinicio or Lin

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

sanchez; mccarthy; lohse...

if not one of them,

jackson; dempster; or marcum 

of course a lot depends on price/length of deal, but they have to bring in at least one proven starter, if not two. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

McCarthy and/or Edwin Jackson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Villanueva.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Brad Radke

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

going to have to disagree sanchez is a #3 at best. i would say hes really a #4 but he is young and has that going for him so i'm willing to say hes a #3 with expected improvement. but with a huge contract he will probably get (due to the poor FA pool) i'm over it. i'd like to really get loshe or trade for floyd

i do not believe in #1#2#3#4... pitchers. I think the pitcher who pitches the best all year is the one you lean on.If Lester was your #1 last year but Buck was the better pitcher and he's a # 2.If my best guy was my #4 He would be my go to guy. Your # 1 could be a fluke . lol lol  Time for another beer.... lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Dan Haren...CRAP!

Sanchez or McCarthy at the right price or trade for Anderson[medium cost] or Holland[lower cost].

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Sanchez will cost a bundle. Would you want to spend 5/90 on him?

Cliff Lee would be good, but as indicated, Philly has a CF.

I'd support a 3-4 year offer to McCarthy, but it should be done soon rather than waiting for the dust to clear after Grienke decides.
    Trade something reasonable for Dickey. I would rather have him than Floyd, although Floyd is another option.

Stretch out Morales, Rubby, and Aceves in Spring Training.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

give rubby de la rosa a shot. kid is the real deal...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

John Wasdin, kidding. I'll go w/ McCarthy.

Sections
Shortcuts