Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I don't quite see Sox signing 2 or more SP this winter unless we lose one via trade.  Sox have resources both prospect wise and monetary wise to pull off a huge contract or trade.  So.. who do you want to see Sox going after? Trade or FA?  

I personally see Sox landing Cliff Lee.  I know he's getting aged and all that but he's Cliff Lee.  I think he would only help the team for another 2-3 yrs, not hurting the team.  Trade has to include multiple players from both sides and lots of money have to be involved as well but I think he's kind of pitcher that worth all of that.  

Both Anibal and McCarthy would have been logical choices if we don't intend to spend huge money on a starter.  We have needed pitching for quite some time, it's about time we do it correctly.  Either trade some of our best prospects to land a #1 like Felix Hernandez if even possible, or at the very least a youngster like Hultzen or Walker who will be ready about the same time as  De La Rosa and Barnes.

It all starts and finishes with solid SP, something we have failed miserably on in recent years. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ryan Dempster turned down a two-year, $25 million offer from the Red Sox, according to this tweet from Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston:

https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/277259791007629312

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Ryan Dempster turned down a two-year, $25 million offer from the Red Sox, according to this tweet from Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston:

https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/277259791007629312

Big sigh of relief here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox would likely be willing to go three years with 34-year-old righthander Kyle Lohse, according to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8725821/ryan-dempster-rejects-two-year-25m-offer-boston-red-sox-source-says

Scroll down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ugggh

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:

how about we give De La Rosa and Morales a shot?

that way we dont lose anyone in a trade, we dont over pay for a bum in a bad FA market, and we dont tie up money for years to come,

Lester                                                                                                                          Buchholz                                                                                                                                    Lackey                                                                                                                           Doubront                                                                                                                                   De La Rosa/Morales whats so wrong with that? 

Like Southpaw said, I'd like to see DLR start off in the minors as he returns from TJ surgery...but I agree that we have enough potential internal options (Morales, Tazawa, even Aceves) to have a nice old spring training competition for the 5th spot if we wanted to. Of course I'd prefer to add a quality SP from outside of the organization, but not if it comes to spending $12 million a year on Ryan Dempster or similar BS. This free agent market isn't very inspiring.

Oh dear...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

that way we dont lose anyone in a trade, we dont over pay for a bum in a bad FA market, and we dont tie up money for years to come,

Lester                                                                                                                          Buchholz                                                                                                                                    Lackey                                                                                                                           Doubront                                                                                                                                   De La Rosa/Morales whats so wrong with that? 

Like Southpaw said, I'd like to see DLR start off in the minors as he returns from TJ surgery...but I agree that we have enough potential internal options (Morales, Tazawa, even Aceves) to have a nice old spring training competition for the 5th spot if we wanted to. Of course I'd prefer to add a quality SP from outside of the organization, but not if it comes to spending $12 million a year on Ryan Dempster or similar BS. This free agent market isn't very inspiring.

Oh dear...

Trading for a quality solid starter is our best option.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Oh dear...

Trading for a quality solid starter is our best option.

Agreed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Dodgers reportedly are close to signing Zack Greinke:

https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/277577193926840320

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good. One less mistake out there for Ben to sign.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id like Floyd. its only a year at better $ than any old azz FA out there. Gives a couple kids (RDLR, Webster, Workman) another year to be completely ready to step in in 2014.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just hate to give up too much for just one year- a year we are highly unlikely to go anywhere anyways.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I just hate to give up too much for just one year- a year we are highly unlikely to go anywhere anyways.

Hes owed around 10M I believe and for 1 year. Shouldnt cost a lot, but CWS asking price is high from what Im hearing...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd give Salty and Aceves plus maybe a lower prospect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Old PA dumpster trash Cliff Lee is not worth 24 million a year to pitch every 5 days for the Red Sox.

If he can still beat the Yankees he is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Villanueva.

Id take the chance on him. Only problem is hes never pitched more than 125 innings in his 7 year career...

True, but he only had 16 starts which means he averaged nearly 8 IPs per start, and had 122 Ks in those 125 IPs last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia (.288 OBP) at a projected salary of $3.9 million and two years of Alfredo Aceves (5.36 ERA) at a projected 2013 salary of $2.6 million might combine for a negative trade value.

I suspect the White Sox could receive better offers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Despite going on the disabled list twice last year for elbow tendinitis, Floyd pronounced himself good to go based on tossing a football with his brother and father Thanksgiving weekend.  (Chicago Tribune 12/2/12 "Floyd eager to keep pitching for White Sox)  I guess that means full steam ahead for White Sox pitcher who owns a 45-48 record during the last 4 seasons.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

I think Brandon McCarthy and Lohse would fill in nice with the sox. The sox will have a veteran line up that should work opposing pitchers and will find way to manage runs. I think if you sign both these guys you have a good chance to win each night. They wont very often go out and pitch shut out ball but they wont give up 5 runs in 5 innings. That way you not stuck paying 20+ mil a year for a 2nd or 3rd tier pitcher like Grienke or Sanchez. They wont demand to high or lenth of contracts(unless Cherington does another Victorino) shouldn't be a concern. That way next year you have plenty of money to sign/trade a top tier pitcher that will fit in Boston.

It's time to sign lohse!Grienke and McCarthy are signed, the starter market should move faster now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

One year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia (.288 OBP) at a projected salary of $3.9 million and two years of Alfredo Aceves (5.36 ERA) at a projected 2013 salary of $2.6 million might combine for a negative trade value.

I suspect the White Sox could receive better offers.

You might be right, but a lot depends on their perseption of being competitive next year or not. If they are going into rebuild mode, then my offer would not excite them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Brawny27's comment:

I think Brandon McCarthy and Lohse would fill in nice with the sox. The sox will have a veteran line up that should work opposing pitchers and will find way to manage runs. I think if you sign both these guys you have a good chance to win each night. They wont very often go out and pitch shut out ball but they wont give up 5 runs in 5 innings. That way you not stuck paying 20+ mil a year for a 2nd or 3rd tier pitcher like Grienke or Sanchez. They wont demand to high or lenth of contracts(unless Cherington does another Victorino) shouldn't be a concern. That way next year you have plenty of money to sign/trade a top tier pitcher that will fit in Boston.

It's time to sign lohse!Grienke and McCarthy are signed, the starter market should move faster now.

Lohse was a ~4.80 ERA, 1.45 WHIP type guy his whole career before coming to St. Louis and having a couple of nice seasons. He's now 34 and apparently wants three years.

Just say no to this dude, and to Dempster.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Brawny27's comment:

Lohse was a ~4.80 ERA, 1.45 WHIP type guy his whole career before coming to St. Louis and having a couple of nice seasons. He's now 34 and apparently wants three years.

Just say no to this dude, and to Dempster.

i disagree, while he wasnt the best pitcher early in his career he has since learned to put it all together and is one of the better pitchers in the game the past few years. a 2-3 year would be ideal but he seems to stand firm at 4 years... if he comes down to 3 i expect we will very much be in on him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Brett Anderson: make it happen.

Breslow, Lava, Tazawa, Cecchini, and Vinicio or Lin

They turned down Myers for Anderson so you can tell what they are looking for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Brett Anderson: make it happen.

Breslow, Lava, Tazawa, Cecchini, and Vinicio or Lin

They turned down Myers for Anderson so you can tell what they are looking for.

certainly not anymore OF'ers....and i don't think moon offered any OF'ers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I don't quite see Sox signing 2 or more SP this winter unless we lose one via trade.  Sox have resources both prospect wise and monetary wise to pull off a huge contract or trade.  So.. who do you want to see Sox going after? Trade or FA?  

I personally see Sox landing Cliff Lee.  I know he's getting aged and all that but he's Cliff Lee.  I think he would only help the team for another 2-3 yrs, not hurting the team.  Trade has to include multiple players from both sides and lots of money have to be involved as well but I think he's kind of pitcher that worth all of that.  

None of the above! Stay out of the free agent market!

Sections
Shortcuts