Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Which starting pitcher do you want the Sox to pursue?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brett Anderson: make it happen.

Breslow, Lava, Tazawa, Cecchini, and Vinicio or Lin

[/QUOTE]

What's the deal with this guy?  Made 30 MLB starts in his age 21 season, then 19, 13, 6 over the last three seasons. He made a total of 25 starts over the last two years including the minors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to craig2174's comment:
    [QUOTE]

give rubby de la rosa a shot. kid is the real deal...

[/QUOTE]

He is exactly the kind of guy we should be pursuing. Young, lots of upside, low priced, and under our control for years. Why reinvent the wheel? Look how the Rays became so much better than we are....there is a seemingly never-ending supply of great pitchers coming out of their farm system. That is what we need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

What's the deal with this guy?  Made 30 MLB starts in his age 21 season, then 19, 13, 6 over the last three seasons. He made a total of 25 starts over the last two years including the minors.

Tommy John surgery typically costs a pitcher about one year of down time.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110714&content_id=21780864&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Red Sox pitcher Rubby de la Rosa, who underwent Tommy John surgery the same year, has made 28 appearances, and only 21 starts, over the past two years, including the minors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

1.Lee or Sanchez

2.Lohse

3.Marcum

4.Jackson

5.McCarthy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is generally regarded as being one of the best young pitchers in MLB. 

Tommy John surgery is not a scary as it used to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hill/Moon - Thank you for the info. I assumed there was some sort of injury. Just didn't know where to find out what it was. Only 35 innings since he returned but a nice line. I'm sold ... but I really don't want to give up Taz. Call it a hunch but I'd ship Doubront before Taz. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

how about we give De La Rosa and Morales a shot?

that way we dont lose anyone in a trade, we dont over pay for a bum in a bad FA market, and we dont tie up money for years to come,

Lester                                                                                                                          Buchholz                                                                                                                                    Lackey                                                                                                                           Doubront                                                                                                                                   De La Rosa/Morales whats so wrong with that? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Villanueva.

[/QUOTE]

Id take the chance on him. Only problem is hes never pitched more than 125 innings in his 7 year career...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is exactly the kind of guy we should be pursuing. Young, lots of upside, low priced, and under our control for years. Why reinvent the wheel? Look how the Rays became so much better than we are....there is a seemingly never-ending supply of great pitchers coming out of their farm system. That is what we need.

[/QUOTE]

If we stunk the joint up for 10+ years, we would have access to top talent as well. They are a well run organization, but had the chance to pick a lot of top 3 talent before being successful in 2008. Now, they will have to part with a lot of that talent because of financial restraints. Thats the only problem with small budget/market. You have a window of opportunity then it closes.

At least the Sox have the financial flexability to potentially compete year in and year out...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

that way we dont lose anyone in a trade, we dont over pay for a bum in a bad FA market, and we dont tie up money for years to come,

Lester                                                                                                                          Buchholz                                                                                                                                    Lackey                                                                                                                           Doubront                                                                                                                                   De La Rosa/Morales whats so wrong with that? 

[/QUOTE]

Id let him start the year in AAA to get his feet back under him after TJS and just having limited innings after. make sure hes got his "feel" for the pitches back and gain some velocity. def a potential ace there...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we stunk the joint up for 10+ years, we would have access to top talent as well. They are a well run organization, but had the chance to pick a lot of top 3 talent before being successful in 2008. Now, they will have to part with a lot of that talent because of financial restraints. Thats the only problem with small budget/market. You have a window of opportunity then it closes.

At least the Sox have the financial flexability to potentially compete year in and year out...

[/QUOTE]

Great points.  I also disagree that the Rays are "so much better than we are"

I'd take our roster , as currently constructed over theirs, anyday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hill/Moon - Thank you for the info. I assumed there was some sort of injury. Just didn't know where to find out what it was. Only 35 innings since he returned but a nice line. I'm sold ... but I really don't want to give up Taz. Call it a hunch but I'd ship Doubront before Taz. 

[/QUOTE]

I lover Taz. I think he will surprise many people over the next few years, however, you have to give to get, and my guess is BB knows all about Taz as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I lover Taz. I think he will surprise many people over the next few years, however, you have to give to get, and my guess is BB knows all about Taz as well.

[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, you want to bring in Brett Anderson? Where did that come from? :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Are you serious?

The 2013 25 man roster?

Rotation:

Price, Shields, Hellickson, Moore, Cobb

Spot start/LR:

Niemann, Archer

Closer/SR:

Rodney, McGee, WDavis, Ramos, Gomes, de la Rosa

C: JMolina, Lobaton or Chirinos

1B: Loney

2B: Zobrist

3B: Longoria

SS: Y Escobar

UTIF: S Rodriguez & EJohnson or R Brignac

LF: Jennings

CF: Fuld/Guyer

RF: Joyce

DH: ???

Assuming health:

Their SPs blow ours away.

Our pen is better, but it hardly makes up for the SPs.

We are better at C, 1B, CF and DH.

They are better at SS, 3B, LF, and RF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wait a minute, you want to bring in Brett Anderson? Where did that come from? :)

Just came to me on the spur of the moment a couple minutes ago...

LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

LOL

[/QUOTE]

What do you think it would take to pry him loose from Billy Beane? I think at least one of Bogaerts or Bradley, plus some other pieces.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL

[/QUOTE]

What do you think it would take to pry him loose from Billy Beane? I think at least one of Bogaerts or Bradley, plus some other pieces.

[/QUOTE]

I had hoped he might take: Lava, Tazawa, Cechini and a SS (Iggy, Ciriaco, Marrero, Vinicio or Lin)

But, I think it might take:

Bogaerts, Lava & Britton or Owens

or 

Bradley, Lava, and Iggy (or another SS not named Bogaerts).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I had hoped he might take: Lava, Tazawa, Cechini and a SS (Iggy, Ciriaco, Marrero, Vinicio or Lin)

or 

[/QUOTE]

He might go for the 2nd or 3rd proposals, but I'm afraid he'd want more, like both Bogaerts and Bradley. And frankly I'm kind of leery of making any deals with Beane as he seems to take us to the cleaners every time. We've had pretty good luck dealing with the Rockies. I wonder if they'd trade Drew Pomeranz?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

or 

[/QUOTE]

He might go for the 2nd or 3rd proposals, but I'm afraid he'd want more, like both Bogaerts and Bradley. And frankly I'm kind of leery of making any deals with Beane as he seems to take us to the cleaners every time. We've had pretty good luck dealing with the Rockies. I wonder if they'd trade Drew Pomeranz?

[/QUOTE]

I kind of liked Bradley a lot, but then hearing softy gush over him, I'm having second thoughts. I mean, who wants to bet against a 397 straight wrong position streak?

Give 'em 3 of Tazawa, Bradley, Lava and Cecchini

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

or 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I kind of liked Bradley a lot, but then hearing softy gush over him, I'm having second thoughts. I mean, who wants to bet against a 397 straight wrong position streak?

Give 'em 3 of Tazawa, Bradley, Lava and Cecchini

[/QUOTE]

I know, anytime I find myself in agreement with the soft headed one I have to reexamine my position. I'm not fundamentally opposed to giving up either Bradley or Bogaerts, but I think Beane would want both, and that I would not do. It's probably moot because Beane doesn't usually move good, cheap, young pitching.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Are you serious?

The 2013 25 man roster?

Rotation:

Spot start/LR:

Niemann, Archer

Closer/SR:

Assuming health:

[/QUOTE]

Very serious.   They dont have nearly enough pop, and I think you underrate our pitching.  

I'm optimistic about 2013.  I think we finish second and grab a WC berth.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't quite see Sox signing 2 or more SP this winter unless we lose one via trade.  Sox have resources both prospect wise and monetary wise to pull off a huge contract or trade.  So.. who do you want to see Sox going after? Trade or FA?  

I personally see Sox landing Cliff Lee.  I know he's getting aged and all that but he's Cliff Lee.  I think he would only help the team for another 2-3 yrs, not hurting the team.  Trade has to include multiple players from both sides and lots of money have to be involved as well but I think he's kind of pitcher that worth all of that.  

[/QUOTE]

BC is very patient with the pitching. Now after the winter meetings he has idea how much money he can spend on FA starters or what the Sox can give up via trade. The latest rumours as of late is Lariano McCarthy or Dempster. My choice out of these three is Mccarthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Like Southpaw said, I'd like to see DLR start off in the minors as he returns from TJ surgery...but I agree that we have enough potential internal options (Morales, Tazawa, even Aceves) to have a nice old spring training competition for the 5th spot if we wanted to. Of course I'd prefer to add a quality SP from outside of the organization, but not if it comes to spending $12 million a year on Ryan Dempster or similar BS. This free agent market isn't very inspiring.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Are you serious?

The 2013 25 man roster?

Rotation:

Spot start/LR:

Niemann, Archer

Closer/SR:

Assuming health:

[/QUOTE]

Very serious.   They dont have nearly enough pop, and I think you underrate our pitching.  

I'm optimistic about 2013.  I think we finish second and grab a WC berth.  

[/QUOTE]

Did they have "pop" last year? The year before? and before...

They always have some Keppinger come along...