Which team is the best in the AL? Detroit? Red Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Higbee. Show Higbee's posts

Which team is the best in the AL? Detroit? Red Sox?

With approximately one month before the All Star Game, who do you rank as the top team in the AL?

The Rangers with the pitching duo of Darvish (7-2, 2.64 ERA, 127 K) and Holland (5-4, 3.30 ERA, 86 K) atop of their the rotation?

The Tigers with their starting trio of Verlander, Scherzer and Sanchez?

The Red Sox with their outstanding bullpen and depth in their starting pitching?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Which team is the best in the AL? Detroit? Red Sox?

As of now, I pick the Oakland A's as the best team in the AL.  If Buccholz remains healthy and Lester finds his ace form, then I would pick the Red Sox. 

Detroit's bullpen will cost them more games as the season goes on. 

So my top three teams in the AL (as of now) are as follows,

1. Oakland A's
    2. Boston Red Sox
    3. Detroit Tigers

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

On this board the Sox are close to the worst team in the AL and need a complete overhaul.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox belong in the conversation, but the Tigers this season have amassed 27.5 WAR* to 22.2 WAR for the Red Sox, 19.8 WAR for the Rangers, 18.2 WAR for the Athletics and 17.5 WAR for the Orioles.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Well, as I look at the standings, it tells me that the Sox are the best team in the AL right now, followed by the A's (2nd) then the O's (3rd), then the tigers (4th) and rangers (5th)...then the NYY in 6th

War is nice and all, but its not wins and loses which ultimately decide whos the best...Until the playoffs come, then its 0-0 again.

Right now as it stands, the Sox are the best team in the AL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Well, as I look at the standings, it tells me that the Sox are the best team in the AL right now, followed by the A's (2nd) then the O's (3rd), then the tigers (4th) and rangers (5th)...then the NYY in 6th

War is nice and all, but its not wins and loses which ultimately decide whos the best...Until the playoffs come, then its 0-0 again.

By that measure, the St. Louis Cardinals have the best team in baseball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Wow.  Had forgotten baseball was about wins and losses.  Thanks for getting me back on track.

As to the original question, and an actual answer, I would put the Sox squarely in the middle.  I think Detroit and Texas are stronger overall teams than the Sox (as they are at this moment), but if you ask me to choose between the Sox, O's (regardless of the head to head record) and A's. I would have to take a flier on that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]Well, as I look at the standings, it tells me that the Sox are the best team in the AL right now, followed by the A's (2nd) then the O's (3rd), then the tigers (4th) and rangers (5th)...then the NYY in 6th

By that measure, the St. Louis Cardinals have the best team in baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, they would be. But the question was best in the AL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Then again, the question is in the present tense and does not specify a time frame.

How much weight should be given to the 20-8 start by the Red Sox?

Here are the standings for June:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/month/june

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Then again, the question is in the present tense and does not specify a time frame.

How much weight should be given to the 20-8 start by the Red Sox?

Here are the standings for June:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/month/june

I would assume since the question was asked tonight, it means right now. Who cares if they started 20-8. They are 44-29 and have the best record in the AL almost 3 months into the season.

All teams have ups and downs throughout the season. The Sox have had no prolonged losing streaks and have won over 60% of their games.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Its an opinion. The best team right now, IMO, is the Sox.

Every team has issues right now.

ex; Verlanders era has gone up almost 2 full runs over the last month and they have no bonified closer.

The A's are once again a nice story, but can they sustain throughout the year and into the playoffs? usually teams like that get exposed. Like they did last year.

Will the O's young starting pitching hold up?

Weve had Buch out for 2 games and Lester not pitching well, but seem to maintain 1st place. Thats usually what the good teams do.

maybe Im right, maybe Im not. But its still my answer/opinion to the question asked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonIrishGuy. Show BostonIrishGuy's posts

No brainer here. Sox are the best in the AL, and it's not even close. Look at the records and run differentials, Sox are tops in both. Plus Buch and Lester are best top 1-2 starting duo in league hands down. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Red Sox have the best record. As far as I know , that is what we go by.  Therefore , they are the best team so far.  At season's end , the teams with the best records make the playoffs.  " WAR " is not taken into consideration.  

Stabbed by Foulke

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The Red Sox have the best record. As far as I know , that is what we go by.  Therefore , they are the best team so far.  At season's end , the teams with the best records make the playoffs.  " WAR " is not taken into consideration.  

Stabbed by Foulke

I have little use for war in this conversation either

however best record only tells us who has played the best so far

IMO there's still enough wiggle room there to have a debate

as 2 who is the best team

that said

I have NP with anyone picking the sox at this point

even though I like the tigers rotation more

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BostonIrishGuy's comment:

No brainer here. Sox are the best in the AL, and it's not even close. Look at the records and run differentials, Sox are tops in both. Plus Buch and Lester are best top 1-2 starting duo in league hands down.

Going into today's games, the Tigers had a better run differential than the Red Sox (by seven runs).

With Anibal Sanchez and Max Scherzer, Detroit has two of the top three American League starters in WAR* (and four of the top eight). Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester rank fifth and 20th, respectively. Seattle has Felix Hernandez at No. 1 and Hisashi Iwakuma at No. 11; Texas has Yu Darvish at No. 4 and Derek Holland at No. 7.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]No brainer here. Sox are the best in the AL, and it's not even close. Look at the records and run differentials, Sox are tops in both. Plus Buch and Lester are best top 1-2 starting duo in league hands down.

Going into today's games, the Tigers had a better run differential than the Red Sox (by seven runs).

With Anibal Sanchez and Max Scherzer, Detroit has two of the top three American League starters in WAR* (and four of the top eight). Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester rank fifth and 20th, respectively. Seattle has Felix Hernandez at No. 1 and Hisashi Iwakuma at No. 11; Texas has Yu Darvish at No. 4 and Derek Holland at No. 7.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

[/QUOTE]

Then they get blown out 13-3. Detroit is in somewhat of a funk right now. Verlander doesnt look like himself either. WAR doesnt win championships.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Higbee's comment:

With approximately one month before the All Star Game, who do you rank as the top team in the AL?

The Rangers with the pitching duo of Darvish (7-2, 2.64 ERA, 127 K) and Holland (5-4, 3.30 ERA, 86 K) atop of their the rotation?

The Tigers with their starting trio of Verlander, Scherzer and Sanchez?

The Red Sox with their outstanding bullpen and depth in their starting pitching?

You are funny.......Depth in their starting pitching.....I only see really one starter who is worth anything... Buck !.... And the rest is a guessing game. Bullpen... Our closer only keeps the game going ....... Which team is the best ?......Duh!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's see where the Sox stand after their 10 game left coast trip. Last year those trips killed us! 

2-5 @Sea and Oak (Remember the bang bang plays at the plate w Salty? Or, was that 2011?)

1-8 @LAA, Oak & Sea (including a 20-2 loss in Oak)

Total: 3-13

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Then they get blown out 13-3. Detroit is in somewhat of a funk right now. Verlander doesnt look like himself either. WAR doesnt win championships.

If you have more illuminating stats (or qualitative reasons) than WAR, please share them.