Which Team Reigns in Boston; Red Sox or Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Which Team Reigns in Boston; Red Sox or Patriots?

Bob Ryan in a pre-Super Bowl interview with Dino Costa stated that "If the Patriots win the Super Bowl and the Red Sox finish 3rd or worse in the ALE this year, the Patriots will become The Team in the Boston market."

I don't reside in the Boston market, but would like to hear from those forum members that do, whether or not Ryan's statement is correct.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Which Team Reigns in Boston; Red Sox or Patriots?

Red Sox. Fans follow RS even when team not very good, not sure same can be said for Patriots when they weren't very good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

...there's a hollow echo coming down the passage of time ....

When I DID live in Boston area, only the Celtics could have rivaled the reign of the Sox.  Rightly so, with Russell , Hondo,  JoJo, Nelly, the Chief, McHale, Bird and the Redhead.... 

But even then, the Sox were #1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Boston has done polls for years how the team rank in popularity with fans....Sox are always #1, hands down

1 Red Sox
    2 Patriots
    3 Celtics
    4 Bruins

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heybarto. Show heybarto's posts

i'm a sox fan first and foremost... and i always say that boston is a baseball town above all.
    i'm a pats and C's fan too... but it's not the same. when the pats lost the SB on sunday... it felt bad but i wasn't catatonic in front of the tv like i was during the last game of the 2011 sox season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Baseball reigns supreme in the Boston market. The Pats could have won in '07 and this year and still been #2 on the list! I love em but they don't hold a candle to my Sox

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Wasn't Ryan popular in the 70's?

He pops that statement around from time to time.  The Patriots must have a better buffet for the writers and an ambulance on call for the older writers like Ryan.

The sox are # one and this forum is a small indication why. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bruins reign

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

At this time, the word reign is a bit provocative....I am sorry to say it, but the Pats loss creates a bad vibe for the already developmentally challenged Bosox this year....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

when they are winning.  Last year this time it was possible to buy a ticket at the window before game time.  It wasn't too long ago when it was common knowledge to buy the cheapest seats and move down front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Which Team Reigns in Boston; Red Sox or Patriots?:
    Bob Ryan in a pre-Super Bowl interview with Dino Costa stated that "If the Patriots win the Super Bowl and the Red Sox finish 3rd or worse in the ALE this year, the Patriots will become The Team in the Boston market." I don't reside in the Boston market, but would like to hear from those forum members that do, whether or not Ryan's statement is correct.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Well, now we know one isn't happening, and the other is unlikely.

The Sox would have to go back to early '90s suckitude before they're less popular than the Patriots. But, the Belichick/Brady era has made them a close second.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

there can be a few parallels drawn between the two especially in the vein of their rivalry with the Pats and the Yanks/Sox rivalry...since 2000 the Yanks and Sox have participated in 6 WS with each team wining two titles..in roughly the same span the Pats and Giants have logged 8 SB's(2 together) with the Pats winning 3 and the G-Men winning 2...both teams are successful but the Sox are probably a good ways ahead of the Pats..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Seems as though Ryan was just trying to stir things up, amazing as that notion is.Surprised

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Which Team Reigns in Boston; Red Sox or Patriots?:
    Bruins reign
    Posted by dannycater

Well Red Sox and Bruins.

Personally, I think Red Sox are always No. 1 because the passion will be there even when they're not good. I think the rest fall in line based on how good they are.

Back when I was growing up in the 1970 during the Bobby Orr days, it was Red Sox and Bruins tied for No. 1, followed by Celtics then Pats.

The C's briefly overtook the Bruins during the Larry Bird era but fell back in the 1990s. The Pats didn't pass the Bruins until the Brady era when they started winning Super Bowls and the fans finally tired of the way Jacobs ran the Bruins. But there always was latent passion for the Bruins, which we saw bubble up last year.

I don't know if that same latent passion will be there in the post Brady era if the team falls off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Red sox will always reign supreme with me and then the celtics. Not a big football guy or hockey guy but I will support either in the playoffs of course.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

This is really a tough call...although I believe the Red Sox have always had top billing in Boston.

It is also stated that Boston is a hockey town too...and that is something I can definitely attest too. There was a time when many hockey fans got disgusted with the Jacobs ownership regime, and profit first mentality...that seems to be behind us now.

The Patriots are right there with the Bruins because they've had a successful run in this millenium so far. But I can tell you back when I was a kid the Patriots were 2nd class citizens, so much so that many New Englanders became Giants fans, and still are, because the Pats could not sell out games. That was a long time ago, and the Pats have more of a true fan base now.

The Celtics always seem to pull up the rear, despite all the championships...the Bird era brought a lot of attention for the C's, and those were fun teams to watch...but I don't feel they have the same stronghold in Boston as the other 3 teams.

I'm sure we all have our own personal feelings on this though!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

THe NBA is a joke of a league--- the product is just AWFUL!   Its been unwatchable for years. 

The Bruins are by far the best team in Boston currently.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

When the Pats start to finish third or fourth in the division, they will fall way back.  The Sox can finish third and will still be #1. The Pats have way to many bandwagon fans. The Bruins and Celts have real hard core fans and will shuffle back and forth.

When Tom and Bill leave sometime in the next four or five years, thats really when you will get the answer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The Sox rule the town, always have and always will. I wished the B's got more love but they'll never come close to the following that the Sox & Pats have. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The funny thing is the Pats for a long time were at the bottom of all four Boston teams. The Sox have always been #1. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Red Sox are always No. 1, at least since the late 1960s. The No. 2 spot is up for grabs between the Celtics, Bruins and Patriots, depending on which team is playing the best at the time. Right now I actually think the Bruins are No. 2. Check out the ticket prices on stubhub. They're outrageous. It's not as tough to get a ticket for the Patriots (even to the AFC Championship game) and Celtics tickets are selling for well below face value.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Which Team Reigns in Boston; Red Sox or Patriots?:
    THe NBA is a joke of a league--- the product is just AWFUL!   Its been unwatchable for years.  The Bruins are by far the best team in Boston currently.
    Posted by Yaso#7

I could not agree more! I totally enjoy College Basketball, but since...oh geez, I don't know...the 80's?, I have grown to hate how the NBA plays basketball. Truthfully, I would much rather see a well executed pick and roll or great team defense that the DunkAThon/One on One League the NBA has become.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I disagree on the NBA. I think defense is being played at a higher level now than ever before and the amount of individual talent is staggering. People who hate on the NBA are obviously not watching it. I only empathize with the point about showboating. We don't need celebrations and taunts after every single play.

Sections
Shortcuts