While this trade is BIG, it's only good if...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

While this trade is BIG, it's only good if...

FO is active this offseason and sign shrewdly for free agents!  In 2002 and 2003 Theo signed "small" name free agents that while not enough to get the RS fan super excited they were solid and did very well.  This was when Theo did well as GM (it's his later FA signings that were dubious at best!).

While the day to day lineup may not be full of BIG names, even with those BIG names they underperformed and were seen as selfish, insubordinate malcontents; now they are scrappy and seem more like the RS the fans can root for!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REW. Show REW's posts

Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if...

It is only good if ownership resists the temptation to improve their soccer franchise and stadium, buy the Mrs. her own Yachht, and then refuse to reinvest any of the money saved. I was personally tired of ADRIAN GONZALEZ and what appeared to be a laid back west coast attitude.  Never did I say though that he wasn't good, and it will be sad watching him put up very good numbers for the years he should have been here.
      It will only be good if ownership empowers their next manager, that supposed leaders left on this club behave like leaders, and a clear chain of command is established and then followed.   
      It would be better, and I don't expect it to happen and would grudginly admit it maybe should not happen, if ownership would apologize for insulting us with their bridge year terminology, a sell out streak, and being absentee enabling the past few years.  Recognition once more as to what Tito went through, and even the mess handed to Bobby V would be refreshing.
    ps - and they don't forget to get rid of Lackey also!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if...:
    [QUOTE]At the time, 2004 and 2007 Red Sox payrolls were massive. There wasn't anyting "shrewd" about it. The Red Sox of recent year were infected by players' player leadership. That ownership wants to wash their hands of years of InEpstein and Cherry, and who could blame them, "shrewd" isn't on the minds of current ownership.   
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

I as referring to 2002 and 2003...Bill Meuller, Kevin Millar, Mike Timlin.  The signinging Curt Schilling was when that all changef and Theo was feeding the Monster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]At the time, 2004 and 2007 Red Sox payrolls were massive. There wasn't anyting "shrewd" about it. The Red Sox of recent year were infected by players' player leadership. That ownership wants to wash their hands of years of InEpstein and Cherry, and who could blame them, "shrewd" isn't on the minds of current ownership.   
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    How are the washing their hands of Cherrington they let him clean out of Epstein big contracts. Onley is saying he is going to win Executive of the Year.

BTW: His name is pronounced like Sherrington like the woman's name Sherri not cherry the fruit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

[QUOTE]  It is only good if ownership resists the temptation to improve their soccer franchise and stadium, buy the Mrs. her own Yachht, and then refuse to reinvest any of the money saved. I was personally tired of ADRIAN GONZALEZ and what appeared to be a laid back west coast attitude.  Never did I say though that he wasn't good, and it will be sad watching him put up very good numbers for the years he should have been here.   It will only be good if ownership empowers their next manager, that supposed leaders left on this club behave like leaders, and a clear chain of command is established and then followed.      It would be better, and I don't expect it to happen and would grudginly admit it maybe should not happen, if ownership would apologize for insulting us with their bridge year terminology, a sell out streak, and being absentee enabling the past few years.  Recognition once more as to what Tito went through, and even the mess handed to Bobby V would be refreshing. ps - and they don't forget to get rid of Lackey also!
    Posted by REW[/QUOTE]

There is still a lot more to be done...the trade is the start of ________.  I WISH the Dodgers also took Lackey (someone else I suspect would blossom if he returned to Cali)!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

I'm pretty sure the exec of the year talk was intentionally hyperbolic, and based more on the insanity of the Dodgers taking on so much money. More to the point though, doesn't it sound like the driving force behind this deal is Lucchino, not Cherington? Personally, I'm starting to think Ben is basically impotent at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I hope everyone is ready for four or five years of last place or next to last place, oh AGOn just homered for the Dodgers. Good night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to While this trade is BIG, it's only good if...:
    [QUOTE]FO is active this offseason and sign shrewdly for free agents!  In 2002 and 2003 Theo signed "small" name free agents that while not enough to get the RS fan super excited they were solid and did very well.  This was when Theo did well as GM (it's his later FA signings that were dubious at best!). While the day to day lineup may not be full of BIG names, even with those BIG names they underperformed and were seen as selfish, insubordinate malcontents; now they are scrappy and seem more like the RS the fans can root for!
    Posted by chronic352[/QUOTE]

So if they smartly sit back and pass on the dung heap that will be on market this off-season, then this was a bad trade?  Are you saying this trade gets better if the Sox go all in and sign, say, Carlos Zambrano and Carlos Pena?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : So if they smartly sit back and pass on the dung heap that will be on market this off-season, then this was a bad trade?  Are you saying this trade gets better if the Sox go all in and sign, say, Carlos Zambrano and Carlos Pena?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

No, I am saying FO needs to be more shrewd about who they sign as free agents.  Just because the players have big name that will put fannies in the seats at Fenway as they did with Lackey and CC,  the signings made no sense. nse?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : No, I am saying FO needs to be more shrewd about who they sign as free agents.  Just because the players have big name that will put fannies in the seats at Fenway as they did with Lackey and CC,  the signings made no sense. nse?  
    Posted by chronic352[/QUOTE]

Just for future reference: does signing Hamilton or Greinke make sense?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : Just for future reference: does signing Hamilton or Greinke make sense?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]If we could get Hamilton for 3 years and Greinke for 2 count me in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : If we could get Hamilton for 3 years and Greinke for 2 count me in.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

\
    Methinks both will be expecting far longer than 2 or 3 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : If we could get Hamilton for 3 years and Greinke for 2 count me in.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

No no no. Greinke's psyche defintely NOT a fit for Boston, and Hamlton too old, physically fragile and substance-prone for anythng beyond a two year deal. Which he wouldn't accept.

The trade WILL look good when : Sands pans out as a decent power bat in left field , Webster turns into a reasonable facsimile of Derek Lowe / early Justin Masterson within two years,......and Rubby DeLaRosa does a fine career impression of ANOTHER Dodgers Dominican righthander with a great changeup / fastball combo who left L.A. for Montreal in exchange for Delino DeShields in 93-94 offseason because Lasorda didn't think he had the stamina or arm durability to start.

You may have heard of him, name was Martinez...Pedro Martinez...(Da-dah-DAH-NA-AH, ....dah-NAH-nah.) Shaken , NOT stirred.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : No no no. Greinke's psyche defintely NOT a fit for Boston, and Hamlton too old, physically fragile and substance-prone for anythng beyond a two year deal. Which he wouldn't accept. The trade WILL look good when : Sands pans out as a decent power bat in left field , Webster turns into a reasonable facsimile of Derek Lowe / early Justin Masterson within two years,......and Rubby DeLaRosa does a fine career impression of ANOTHER Dodgers Domincan righthander with a great changeup / fastball combo who left L.A. for Montreal in exchange for Delino DeShields in 93-94 offseason because Lasorda didn't think he had the stamina or arm durability to start. You may have heard of him, name was Martinez...Pedro Martinez...(Da-dah-DAH-NA-AH, ....dah-NAH-nah.) Shaken , NOT stirred.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]Good one. For two or three years though, older ballplayers aren't such a bad bet. De LaRosa sure looks intriguing though. I went and looked in some of the Dodger forum archives and those guys were as excited about him as you and I are about Jackie Bradley Jr.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : \ Methinks both will be expecting far longer than 2 or 3 years.
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]Then someone else can have that headache.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : Good one. For two or three years though, older ballplayers aren't such a bad bet. De LaRosa sure looks intriguing though. I went and looked in some of the Dodger forum archives and those guys were as excited about him as you and I are about Jackie Bradley Jr.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
     Maybe had best arm & fastball not attached to Verlander was what I heard. But only averaged 96 recently, after the surgery..but did touch 99 couple times.
    While Webster supposedly has the biggest upside of the bunch, though I like Rubby.
    Between Z. Stewart, aforementioned ex-Dodgers, Barnes, Britton, et. al. we might just have a rotation in 2014.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... :  Maybe had best arm & fastball not attached to Verlander was what I heard. But only averaged 96 recently, after the surgery..but did touch 99 couple times. While Webster supposedly has the biggest upside of the bunch, though I like Rubby. Between Z. Stewart, aforementioned ex-Dodgers, Barnes, Britton, et. al. we might just have a rotation in 2014.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]I read that he had a better fastball than Verlander before he got hurt. And he was throwing a consistent 96 - 97 in his first appearance after his surgery. No curveball though apparently, although he does have a good change and a borderline slider. At least that's what the book says. He could be a very good pitcher, but probably not Pedro.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : I read that he had a better fastball than Verlander before he got hurt. And he was throwing a consistent 96 - 97 in his first appearance after his surgery. No curveball though apparently, although he does have a good change and a borderline slider. At least that's what the book says. He could be a very good pitcher, but probably not Pedro.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Okay. I'll settle for the "profile range " I saw, upside like Smoltz, worst case the old 8th inning Bard.
    Pedro may have been a once-in-a-lifetime Sox  , like Koufax with Dodgers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : Okay. I'll settle for the "profile range " I saw, upside like Smoltz, worst case the old 8th inning Bard. Pedro may have been a once-in-a-lifetime Sox  , like Koufax with Dodgers.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]Once in a generation for sure. The thing separating him from the Dodgers' kid was that Pedro had that devastating curveball he could throw at any time. Maybe he should be the next pitching coach. Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : Just for future reference: does signing Hamilton or Greinke make sense?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Angels won't let Greinke go this winter...they gave up 3 top prospects just to get him there for a few months.  Hamilton is a tough one...for 3 I would say absolutely but more than that...I wouldn't touch him.  I doubt he would sign anywhere for 3 years though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : No no no. Greinke's psyche defintely NOT a fit for Boston, and Hamlton too old, physically fragile and substance-prone for anythng beyond a two year deal. Which he wouldn't accept. The trade WILL look good when : Sands pans out as a decent power bat in left field , Webster turns into a reasonable facsimile of Derek Lowe / early Justin Masterson within two years,......and Rubby DeLaRosa does a fine career impression of ANOTHER Dodgers Dominican righthander with a great changeup / fastball combo who left L.A. for Montreal in exchange for Delino DeShields in 93-94 offseason because Lasorda didn't think he had the stamina or arm durability to start. You may have heard of him, name was Martinez...Pedro Martinez...(Da-dah-DAH-NA-AH, ....dah-NAH-nah.) Shaken , NOT stirred.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

laughing.
    thats a pleasant fantasy. nice ifit comes true.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: While this trade is BIG, it's only good if... : Once in a generation for sure. The thing separating him from the Dodgers' kid was that Pedro had that devastating curveball he could throw at any time. Maybe he should be the next pitching coach.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

+1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

No and no.  Greinke has issues playing in big markets, the pressures for him in Boston would break him and for that matter the same goes for Hamilton.

Sections
Shortcuts