Whither Salty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Whither Salty?

Suzuki  became available today when the A's did not renew his contract for 2014.

The Sox have always seemed to like this guy and he will definitely be less expensive than Saltalamacchia.

He is not a total stud, but fields well and at least always hit Red Sox pitching pretty well.  He could be the nice compliment to Ross to the point where Ross plays 40-50 games behind the plate.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This whole idea that Ross can suddenly become a starter and catch close to 100 games in his late 30 is frankly rediculous. He has never had more then 320 abs in his entire career. If you caught him everyday his bat will get overexposed and he will slump as well as possibly get injured. David Ross is fantastic backup catcher, key word being backup. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying he should catch over 120 games, but the fact that he has such low mileage over the years could actually be in his favor as he ages.

We should never count on 100  games from Ross, but it's not unrealistic to think he might be able to do it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This whole idea that Ross can suddenly become a starter and catch close to 100 games in his late 30 is frankly rediculous. He has never had more then 320 abs in his entire career. If you caught him everyday his bat will get overexposed and he will slump as well as possibly get injured. David Ross is fantastic backup catcher, key word being backup. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying he should catch over 120 games, but the fact that he has such low mileage over the years could actually be in his favor as he ages.

We should never count on 100  games from Ross, but it's not unrealistic to think he might be able to do it.

[/QUOTE]

The only time Ross has had over 300 at bats was 07, outside of that he's mainly been good for 180 at bats for most of his career. It's pretty unrealistic to think he could catch 80 games let alone 100. It's a bad idea to ask career back up whose on the wrong side of 30 to start. Hes stayed in the league for so long because he has filled an important niche.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only time Ross has had over 300 at bats was 07, outside of that he's mainly been good for 180 at bats for most of his career. It's pretty unrealistic to think he could catch 80 games let alone 100. It's a bad idea to ask career back up whose on the wrong side of 30 to start. Hes stayed in the league for so long because he has filled an important niche.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not asking him to catch 100 or hoping we plan on him catching over 80 games, but I do not think it is unrealistic to think he cannot handle 80-100 games. He was McCann's back-up for many years, so his games were limited by the guy ahead of him more than his fragility. 

It is noteworthy to say that his biggest PA year was one of his worst OPS years, but I do think that his lack of normal FT catcher wear and tear over all thos years could actually help prolong his career and allow him to have a late career resurgence.

Again, if we are going to count on Ross to catch over 80 games, we will be pushing our luck. On that I agree.

My guess is we sign a guy like Suzuki to bridge us to Vazquez/Swihart/Denny/Lava.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Why can't Ross catch 120 games? Is it because he hasn't? Was that duribility related? Or was he labled (maybe unfairly) as a defensive back-up catcher? 

Seems like he can hit a bit, and IS an outstanding defensive catcher. 

I've been pulling for Salty for two years, but you just can't have a guy dropping balls and making poor throws when the pressure is on. 

Catching defense is huge. Look at the way St. Louis shut down Ellsbury. Ellsbury againt most teams and he walks and it might as well be a triple. Against Yadir? He's taken out of the game.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Suzuki  became available today when the A's did not renew his contract for 2014.

The Sox have always seemed to like this guy and he will definitely be less expensive than Saltalamacchia.

He is not a total stud, but fields well and at least always hit Red Sox pitching pretty well.  He could be the nice compliment to Ross to the point where Ross plays 40-50 games behind the plate.

[/QUOTE]

this sounds like a good idea..i always liked suzuki also....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why can't Ross catch 120 games? Is it because he hasn't? Was that duribility related? Or was he labled (maybe unfairly) as a defensive back-up catcher? 

Seems like he can hit a bit, and IS an outstanding defensive catcher. 

I've been pulling for Salty for two years, but you just can't have a guy dropping balls and making poor throws when the pressure is on. 

Catching defense is huge. Look at the way St. Louis shut down Ellsbury. Ellsbury againt most teams and he walks and it might as well be a triple. Against Yadir? He's taken out of the game.  

[/QUOTE]

Because catching is f-ing hard and Ross needed to be conserved in order to be available and effective like he was in the postseason.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ross's true value is that he is an exceptional part-time catcher. He won't be nearly as helpful catching 130 games. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2 words:

Brian McCann.

[/QUOTE]

1 word..... Maybe 100 mil ........ NO !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

McCann isnt that great defensively. His actually about the same as Salty as far as stats go, other than his offense, which has only been slightly better overall. Salty has even closed that offensive gap the last couple years. I dont think McCann will be worth what hes expected to get. If hes not within 2M of Salty per year its too much. Salty should be around 9-11Mper

[/QUOTE]

I would give Salty a QO.  IMO, the Sox would have a better chance of re-signing him at a lower cost if other teams have to give up a draft pick to sign him.  If he accepts the QO, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world overpaying him on a one year deal.  Since he knows the pitching staff well, I think re-signing him to a shorter term deal would be our best option until Vazquez or whoever is ready to take over.

That said, I think you and Moon are still overrating his defense.  The fact that Farrell opted for Ross over Salty in the three most important games of the season is very telling.  Putting McCann on the same level as Salty defensively is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

McCann isnt that great defensively. His actually about the same as Salty as far as stats go, other than his offense, which has only been slightly better overall. Salty has even closed that offensive gap the last couple years. I dont think McCann will be worth what hes expected to get. If hes not within 2M of Salty per year its too much. Salty should be around 9-11Mper

[/QUOTE]

I would give Salty a QO.  IMO, the Sox would have a better chance of re-signing him at a lower cost if other teams have to give up a draft pick to sign him.  If he accepts the QO, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world overpaying him on a one year deal.  Since he knows the pitching staff well, I think re-signing him to a shorter term deal would be our best option until Vazquez or whoever is ready to take over.

That said, I think you and Moon are still overrating his defense.  The fact that Farrell opted for Ross over Salty in the three most important games of the season is very telling.  Putting McCann on the same level as Salty defensively is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I've never said Salty is a very good defensive catcher. I think he may be about average, if you factor in handling the staff, framing pitches, and blocking would be WPs. His throwing is terrible, but the rest looks average or better.

I think offering him a QO is not a bad idea, and it will prevent other teams from paying big and long for him.

This is his point in his career where he can strike it big, so I won't blame him if he chooses long and moderate over short and big.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I still wish we could have seen Vazquez come up for a few games this year ...

Sections
Shortcuts