Whither Salty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Whither Salty?

What do you think?  Keep him or trade him for 2014?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Whither Salty?

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

What do you think?  Keep him or trade him for 2014?

Really?  Do you bother to look these matters up before you post?

Salty is a FREE AGENT as of this morning.  We don't get to "TRADE HIM for 2014" - we don't have him under contract as of 9AM this morning.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trade him for 2,014 what?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hes a free agent is he not? So the question is sign him or dont. I say keep him around if possible. While we're all annoyed that he didnt do well in the postseason, we would not be here without him. Hes arguably one of the best all around catchers in the AL. He would be missed. Ross is not a full time catcher, and Im not sure Lavarnway is ready.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Hes a free agent is he not? So the question is sign him or dont. I say keep him around if possible. While we're all annoyed that he didnt do well in the postseason, we would not be here without him. Hes arguably one of the best all around catchers in the AL. He would be missed. Ross is not a full time catcher, and Im not sure Lavarnway is ready.

true true true true but i am sure that there are other men who could catch for us

i think Ben is going to have to hit the trade market to find a few guys for us; Buck and Dempster being trade bait as far as I am concerned.......

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

2 words:

Brian McCann.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

2 words:

Brian McCann.

Only if you lose Ellsbury.  Can't afford both........and Jake is much more valuable; especially on the current club.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

2 words:

Brian McCann.

Only if you lose Ellsbury.  Can't afford both........and Jake is much more valuable; especially on the current club.

Ellsbury is a gonner.  He will get 7/120 from somebody(I say SF).  It's JBJ time in CF.  McCann is also only 29, and plays a position that is very sought after, but hard to find a player of his calibur.  He could transition to DH or 1B in the latter years very easily.  His cost should be about 6/100.  

I like it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2 words:

Brian McCann.

Ellsbury is a gonner.  He will get 7/120 from somebody(I say SF).  It's JBJ time in CF.  McCann is also only 29, and plays a position that is very sought after, but hard to find a player of his calibur.  He could transition to DH or 1B in the latter years very easily.  His cost should be about 6/100.  

I like it.

that's too much time and $ for him....and Ellsbury could be had.  He's not getting 7/120 unless the yankees are so jealous they decide the heck w/ their cap and pull a "damon" on us.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Victorino

Pedroia

McCann

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Boegarts

Middlebrooks

Bradley Jr.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Victorino

Pedroia

McCann

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Boegarts

Middlebrooks

Bradley Jr.

I don't like it

Vic is a downgrade to Jake

two Lefties in a row in the 3 and 4 hole

Middlebrooks isn't ready for prime time

Boggy isn't nearly as good as Drew w/ the glove

and JBJ looks like an automatic out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Victorino

Pedroia

McCann

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Boegarts

Middlebrooks

Bradley Jr.

I hope not....Bradley and Middlebrooks are definitely not the answer from all that I have seen from them... Bradley is completely overmatched at the plate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Two words:

No McCann

He will cost almost twice as much as Salty and bring us little better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

JBJ reminds me of Austin Jackson or Brett Gardner.  He'll be fine... just needs some AB's in the show, and he will figure it out.  I would love Choo, but expecting him and McCann would be unreasonable.  

Look,  I love Ellsbury... but he is gonna be in the NL next year... either SF or StL is my prediction.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

JBJ reminds me of Austin Jackson or Brett Gardner.  He'll be fine... just needs some AB's in the show, and he will figure it out.  I would love Choo, but expecting him and McCann would be unreasonable.  

Look,  I love Ellsbury... but he is gonna be in the NL next year... either SF or StL is my prediction.

Jackson and Gardner aren't even in the same league as Ellsbury and JBJ isn't even in the same league as Gardner and Jackson.....I don't get it:  If you are willing to go long and hard for B McCann then why not give that same deal to Ellsbury? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

the best possible line up is the one we had last night or close to it

Ellsbury, Vic, Pedey, Ortiz, Napoli, Gomes/Nava, Boggy, Ross, Drew

Our line up is not an issue unless we lose Nap or Drew and then I take action; I think I could keep Ellsbury, we have the budget and he's about as close to a "Pedey" as we're gonna find

Our bench remains unchanged too; I'd try and keep MacD around

Our Pen needs a power RH

The rotation is what needs help.  Dempster and Buck have gotta go and we need better quality arms in the rotation next year.

The rotation would see the most change.  Otherwise, I try and keep most of the team in tact and we could actually repeat.  And just when you thought it couldn't get any better!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

2 words:

Brian McCann.

3 words:

Too much money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

We won the WS with Ross as the catcher.  Why do we need to "upgrade" at that position?  I want a glove there.  For years I wanted G Laird; so someone like him.  Ross was really the "10th Player Award" winner of the post season.  That's the kind of guy I want catching for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Two words:

No McCann

He will cost almost twice as much as Salty and bring us little better.

Really Moon?

5 Silver Slugger Awards, and 7 AllStar Games says otherwise.

McCann has never KO'd 100 times on a season in his career.

Can Salty match that, or have even 1 of those nominations on his resume?

Give him 6/100 and he can transition to 1B or DH in years 4-6 when he is still only 34/35.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

We won the WS with Ross as the catcher.  Why do we need to "upgrade" at that position?  I want a glove there.  For years I wanted G Laird; so someone like him.  Ross was really the "10th Player Award" winner of the post season.  That's the kind of guy I want catching for me.

Because Ross is not a full time catcher... never was.  Did you not notice his grey beard?  He is no spring chicken.  I want Ross to stay... but he can't play 120 games.  50-60 maybe.  

Salty KO's way too much, and defensively he is sub-par.

If we don't get McCann, the Yankees will.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Because Ross is not a full time catcher... never was.  Did you not notice his grey beard?  He is no spring chicken.  I want Ross to stay... but he can't play 120 games.  50-60 maybe.  

Salty KO's way too much, and defensively he is sub-par.

If we don't get McCann, the Yankees will.

First, I never said that Ross is THE man.  What I meant was Ross is the TYPE of Catcher that we need and that I want.

Second, da team from da bronx ain't getting McCann if they want to stay under 189, keep Cano, and replace all the other talent they are losing (2 SPs, Closer, 40 HRs, 3B, SS, etc etc etc) plus the ONE position where they have any hope of ever filling internally is catcher and the last thing they need is another future DH......It would be a stupid move.  But hey, Cashman may actually do it.  In fact, I encourage you to encourage him to do so!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

PS - that's enough for awhile about worrying about da team from da bronx.  We got nothing to worry about for awhile.  Our best player was the World Series MVP while their best player was in court this week.  Let da team from da bronx worry about us and let them worry about trying to not end up in da cellar next year.  Time to look the old bullies straight in the eyes and spit.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

2 words:

Brian McCann.

3 words:

Too much money.

6/100 for a CATCHER with 5 SS Awards & 7 AS Game nominations who is only 29 is too much?  

And he achieved this in a league that already has Molina and Posey.  Not bad.  Who in the AL as a catcher is better?  Maybe the kid in Baltimore,  that's it.  

My point being... catcher is a valuable position, especially in the AL.  He's worth it.

And, one last time... Ellsbury will NOT be a Red Sox player next year.  Face the obvious.  Love him,  but gone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

2 words:

Brian McCann.

3 words:

Too much money.

6/100 for a CATCHER with 5 SS Awards & 7 AS Game nominations who is only 29 is too much?  

And he achieved this in a league that already has Molina and Posey.  Not bad.  Who in the AL as a catcher is better?  Maybe the kid in Baltimore,  that's it.  

My point being... catcher is a valuable position, especially in the AL.  He's worth it.

And, one last time... Ellsbury will NOT be a Red Sox player next year.  Face the obvious.  Love him,  but gone.

He's only gone if you decide to allocate your money away from him and give it to McCann.....

Sections
Shortcuts