Whitney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Whitney

Reposted from the Music Forum; yes, I know it doesn't belong here

When I first heard her renditions of "Saving All My Love For You" and "The Greatest Love of All", I was stunned. Unmatched  beauty, power, and  technique. Dionne Warwick was her cousin. Her demise was eeringly similar to Judy Garland's. In Judy's later yrs; her voice cracked on one occasion when she couldn't sing her signature song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" ;although a public appearance, she broke down and cried right there. At 40, she looked like 60. She died at 47.  

Amy Winehouse was a loss also. Ever hear her duet with Tony Bennett doing Body & Soul? She sounds like Billie Holiday, another drug demise. Ditto Bonham, Moon, Hendrix, Joplin, Brian Jones, Morrison, Cobain, M-Jax, Brittany Murphy, Ledger, Bias, Belushi, Farley. If these aren't anti-drug statements, I don't know what is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Whitney

The former didn't write songs so I dismiss her; the latter released two fauxtown albums.  Eh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Whitney:
    [QUOTE]The former didn't write songs so I dismiss her; the latter released two fauxtown albums.  Eh.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Billie Holiday didnt even understand the meaning of Strange Fruit - but she sang it like an angel....loosen up a bit and enjoy these two awesome, departed singers...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Great talent, but otherworldly appetites and stamina.  Some people get lucky and just break down a little and eventual quit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Excerpts from a few reviews:

Rolling Stone -
    "Her voice is a mammoth, coruscating cry: Few vocalists could get away with opening a song with 45 unaccompanied seconds of singing, but Houston's powerhouse version of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" is a tour de force.

Stephen Holden (NYT) -
    Her [Houston's] stylistic trademarks – shivery melismas that ripple up in the middle of a song, twirling embellishments at the ends of phrases that suggest an almost breathless exhilaration – infuse her interpretations with flashes of musical and emotional lightning."

LATimes
     No other female pop star – not Mariah Carey, not Celine Dion, not Barbra Streisand – quite rivals Houston in her exquisite vocal fluidity and purity of tone, and her ability to infuse a lyric with mesmerizing melodrama."[

Wikipedia-
    Houston was a mezzo-soprano.[221][222] Her vocal range extended from G below middle C (G3) to high B-flat (B5); she could belt out to treble F (F5).[

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QmeEdFOSc

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

whitney was one of the best female singers ever...karen carpenter was another..both of their voices was amazing...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]The former didn't write songs so I dismiss her Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

I understand that some people have a preference for artists who write their own songs, but I don't understand dismissing Whitney because she didn't.

Whitney was one of the greatest female singers I've ever heard.  It's a shame that her career and life were cut short by addictions. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

this shttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiu23ogcMOQong is badass.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

"I will always love you" cover by Whitney Houston is representative of the horrors of modern pop musical production. The contrived vocal gymanastics mask the beauty of the written melody and lyrics and are the antithesis of respect for the writers. The music business sells anything that is catchy sounding, then oversells it until it makes people sick to the stomach. The true test of musical talent is the test of time. Whitney Houston pop music will not stand the test of time.  As with Houston, Amy Whinehouse had vocal talents that were butchered by the music business.

Life can get lonely in the hedonistic entertainment culture, a disposable culture that has the very worst in morals. Another victim with misplaced priorities. Substances only represent the symptom of medicating and masking the problem, not the cause of mentally disturbed people. Terrible tragedy, but predictable as the sunset.

All drugs should be legal, as the government has no Constitutional authority to do more than place reasonable regulations on the interestate commercial flow of them. Butcher knives and motor vehicles are not outlawed because they are used as murder weapons. Drugs only need reasonable regulation and taxation, not the heavy hand of Uncle Karl.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : I understand that some people have a preference for artists who write their own songs, but I don't understand dismissing Whitney because she didn't. Whitney was one of the greatest female singers I've ever heard.  It's a shame that her career and life were cut short by addictions. 
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

I realise she had a good voice....as did Sinatra....throw in Elvis.  Perhaps "dismiss" was too strong for such performers, such song stylists.  But the true genious of, say, Walk On By, was Burt Bacharach's composing.  If Dionne Warwick had never been born, the song would have been written and a massive hit for someone else...maybe even Cissy Houston!  The Stranglers version is pretty cool too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Cause of death........Bobby Brown.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : I understand that some people have a preference for artists who write their own songs, but I don't understand dismissing Whitney because she didn't. Whitney was one of the greatest female singers I've ever heard.  It's a shame that her career and life were cut short by addictions. 
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

I agree. There are musicians who can write and sing, and there are vocalists. Each can be very talented.

Elvis didn't write his own songs, yet he had a great voice and an stage presences that few could match.

In The Who for example, Pete Townsend always credited Roger Daltry for giving his songs a voice and an interpretation that couldn't.

Talent is talent. I'm not really a Whitney Houston fan, although there are some songs that she has that I don't mind listening too, but she indeed had a fantastic voice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

First African American on the cover of Seventeen....and seventeen more years until the first African American in the Red Sox manager's ofice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Hankwilliamsjr sings Whitney's greatest hit...

If he should stay,
    He would only be in the way.
    So please go, but I know
    I'll think of you ev'ry step of the way.

And I will always loathe you.

I will always loathe you.
    You,  Waste-field you. Hmm.

Knuckleball memories

that is all I'm taking with me.
    So, goodbye. Please, don't cry.
    We both know you're not what you, we need.

I hope AARP treats you kind

And I hope you have all you've dreamed of.
    And I wish to you, beer and happy meals
    But above all this, I wish you farewell

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE] First African American on the cover of Seventeen....and seventeen more years until the first African American in the Red Sox manager's ofice.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

This has been discussed in length and with excellent analysis in this thread several months ago. Once again the debate was triggered by the same forum regular.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a22a559fa-2d29-429d-9373-6078c82b84b4&plckCurrentPage=0

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : This has been discussed in length and with excellent analysis in this thread several months ago. Once again the debate was triggered by the same forum regular. http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a22a559fa-2d29-429d-9373-6078c82b84b4&plckCurrentPage=0
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

I watched ESPN 30/30 feature this morning about the trial of Allen Iverson,
    stupid ESPN, this has been discussed for generations, no need to rehash the same ol greivances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney :  I watched ESPN 30/30 feature this morning about the trial of Allen Iverson, stupid ESPN, this has been discussed for generations, no need to rehash the same ol greivances.

A baseball forum about the Red Sox isn't the correct forum to regurgitate something that is about racism and bigotry every month. Give it a rest Youk. You made your point on this every month for the last two years. It gets boring after awhile. It was the same with Andrew bashing Drew and now Crawford, same with Softlaw bashing Jake and Jed daily, and with Bosox1941 and Georom bashing Tito daily. IT gets tiresome, boring, and predictable. This is bad for a dying forum. Too many posters try to inflame, irritate, and annoy, why not rise above that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : A baseball forum about the Red Sox isn't the correct forum to regurgitate something that is about racism and bigotry every month. Give it a rest Youk. You made your point on this every month for the last two years. It gets boring after awhile. It was the same with Andrew bashing Drew and now Crawford, same with Softlaw bashing Jake and Jed daily, and with Bosox1941 and Georom bashing Tito daily. IT gets tiresome, boring, and predictable. This is bad for a dying forum. Too many posters try to inflame, irritate, and annoy, why not rise above that?

Your dying forum prognostocation is as tiresome, no? Take your doomsday scenario and put it into a doomsday thread, see how many regulars and newbies contribute, your tireless insertion into other threads is well, boring, and not related to baseball or even the Red Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney :  Your dying forum prognostocation is as tiresome, no? Take your doomsday scenario and put it into a doomsday thread, see how many regulars and newbies contribute, your tireless insertion into other threads is well, boring, and not related to baseball or even the Red Sox.

No comment on the playing of the racecard on a monthly basis?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : No comment on the playing of the racecard on a monthly basis?

Like Bobby Kennedy, "I saw wrong, and tried to right it."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

People die everyday. I dont see people posting threads for those.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

And I marched with Martin Luther King in Boston in my youth and demonstrated against the Viet Nam War for years. I am white and my brother-in-law is black. However I don't bring up those issues monthly in a baseball forum monthly in order to draw attention to myself and cause controversy. It is after all a BASEBALL FORUM. Bring it back to baseball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]And I marched with Martin Luther King in Boston in my youth and demonstrated against the Viet Nam War for years. I am white and my brother-in-law is black. However I don't bring up those issues monthly in a baseball forum monthly in order to draw attention to myself and cause controversy. It is after all a BASEBALL FORUM. Bring it back to baseball.

WOW! You are more gone than I suspected. The internet is the new city square.
     The social concious amonst us don't have to carry a sign "to draw attention to cause controversy", it can be done through public forums.
     If you mean to suggest that controversy in of itself is net negative, then we disagree again.
     The fact that your brother in law is black fails to identify an issue, not sure why you mentioned it.
     The Sox have employed well qualified individuals like DeMarlo Hale and Jim Rice. in other capacities but never as a manager. Facts are a funny thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : I realise she had a good voice....as did Sinatra....throw in Elvis.  Perhaps "dismiss" was too strong for such performers, such song stylists.  But the true genious of, say, Walk On By, was Burt Bacharach's composing.  If Dionne Warwick had never been born, the song would have been written and a massive hit for someone else...maybe even Cissy Houston!  The Stranglers version is pretty cool too.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  I understand what you're saying.  I agree that there is some true genius and talent in those who write the lyrics and in those who put music to the lyrics.  However, I think there is also some true musical genius and talent in the way certain artists can interpret, feel, and perform songs that are not written by them.  It's quite possible that a hit song would have still been a hit song with another artist, but I also think it's just as possible that it wouldn't have been.