Whitney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Whitney

In Response to Re: Whitney:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : I agree. There are musicians who can write and sing, and there are vocalists. Each can be very talented. Elvis didn't write his own songs, yet he had a great voice and an stage presences that few could match. In The Who for example, Pete Townsend always credited Roger Daltry for giving his songs a voice and an interpretation that couldn't. Talent is talent. I'm not really a Whitney Houston fan, although there are some songs that she has that I don't mind listening too, but she indeed had a fantastic voice.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree Roy.  Well said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney :    WOW! You are more gone than I suspected. The internet is the new city square.  The social concious amonst us don't have to carry a sign "to draw attention to cause controversy", it can be done through public forums.  If you mean to suggest that controversy in of itself is net negative, then we disagree again.  The fact that your brother in law is black fails to identify an issue, not sure why you mentioned it.  The Sox have employed well qualified individuals like DeMarlo Hale and Jim Rice. in other capacities but never as a manager. Facts are a funny thing.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

The link that I provided answers all questions and should be read. Why regurgitate it every month? That thread covers all sides of the issue. I encourage everyone to read it instead of starting from square #1 or reinventing the issue. Why not start a thread on the other BDC baseball forum on the issue. What you are doing is similar to Softy hijacking every thread with dropping BS about Wakefield or Varitek. Sending every thread off onto a tangent / hijacking is not good for the forum. Andrew was also good about turning every thread into a Drew debate. This is what trolls love to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : The link that I provided answers all questions and should be read. Why regurgitate it every month? That thread covers all sides of the issue. I encourage everyone to read it instead of starting from square #1 or reinventing the issue. Why not start a thread on the other BDC baseball forum on the issue. What you are doing is similar to Softy hijacking every thread with dropping BS about Wakefield or Varitek. Sending every thread off onto a tangent / hijacking is not good for the forum. Andrew was also good about turning every thread into a Drew debate. This is what trolls love to do.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

Boy, you're all over the place on this, let's see if I can make logical sense of your statements...You state that I send every thread off on a tangent, then you say that it's one thread per month? So which is it? You reference a thread as an example, but the thread was about racism and not something else.
     Let's just sweep it under the rug, BTW, Guess Who's Coming for Dinner?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney :  Boy, you're all over the place on this, let's see if I can make logical sense of your statements...You state that I send every thread off on a tangent, then you say that it's one thread per month? So which is it? You reference a thread as an example, but the thread was about racism and not something else.  Let's just sweep it under the rug, BTW, Guess Who's Coming for Dinner?

I'm out for tonight. No need to wait for my retort.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

[QUOTE]Cause of death........Bobby Brown.......
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

So true!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Cause of death........Bobby Brown.......
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Yes; you usually say much with an economy of words; kudos.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Whitney:
    [QUOTE]Reposted from the Music Forum; yes, I know it doesn't belong here When I first heard her renditions of  "Saving All My Love For You"  and  "The Greatest Love of All" , I was stunned. Unmatched  beauty, power, and  technique. Dionne Warwick was her cousin. Her demise was eeringly similar to Judy Garland's. In Judy's later yrs; her voice cracked on one occasion when she couldn't sing her signature song  "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" ; although a public appearance, she broke down and cried right there. At 40, she looked like 60. She died at 47.   Amy Winehouse was a loss also. Ever hear her duet with Tony Bennett doing Body & Soul? She sounds like Billie Holiday, another drug demise. Ditto Bonham, Moon, Hendrix, Joplin, Brian Jones, Morrison, Cobain, M-Jax, Brittany Murphy, Ledger, Bias, Belushi, Farley. If these aren't anti-drug statements, I don't know what is.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    Actually recent news revealed Brian Jones was murdered by workmen at his manor property after a dispute. However from what I've read, Jones being unreasonable due to drug use was probably a contributing factor.

Did Ms. Houston have a great voice, excellent vocal range, and enjoyable phrasing & stylistic capability ? Yes.
    Does the fact she wasn't a songwriter affect her performing ability ? No.
    Did her drug abuse and irresponsible , selfish behaviour deprive her daughter of a mother ? Yes.
    Part of being a grownup, or at least a parent, is realizing one's responsibilities for others and giving up the self-centered hedonism of drug / alcohol use....take it from one who's been there, done that.
    So another coked-out dissipated entertainer killed themselves.......should we care ? Hmm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : Fair enough.  I understand what you're saying.  I agree that there is some true genius and talent in those who write the lyrics and in those who put music to the lyrics.  However, I think there is also some true musical genius and talent in the way certain artists can interpret, feel, and perform songs that are not written by them.  It's quite possible that a hit song would have still been a hit song with another artist, but I also think it's just as possible that it wouldn't have been.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Pavarotti, Domingo, and a bunch of other tenors sang Puccini. I don't recall Puccini singing Puccini. An absurd notion, and more generally, for a change, this thread's been hijacked by the usual prognosticators. 

Pehaps Brady shouldn't be compared to Sammy Baugh 'cause he wasn't a 2-way player. Using that logic, Edelman's better

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Whitney : Actually recent news revealed Brian Jones was murdered by workmen at his manor property after a dispute. However from what I've read, Jones being unreasonable due to drug use was probably a contributing factor. Did Ms. Houston have a great voice, excellent vocal range, and enjoyable phrasing & stylistic capability ? Yes. Does the fact she wasn't a songwriter affect her performing ability ? No. Did her drug abuse and irresponsible , selfish behaviour deprive her daughter of a mother ? Yes. Part of being a grownup, or at least a parent, is realizing one's responsibilities for others and giving up the self-centered hedonism of drug / alcohol use....take it from one who's been there, done that. So another coked-out dissipated entertainer killed themselves.......should we care ? Hmm.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

You have a point, and then again, you don't. 

At least IMO.

Thanks for clarifying the Brian Jones incident.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A talented individual who ruined her life with drug abuse. Let's not get all maudlin about it.  This is all too common.  Happens every day , but without the talent  and fame. Sad , but true.  Learn from it.  Save your sympathy for the truly deserving.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : Fair enough.  I understand what you're saying.  I agree that there is some true genius and talent in those who write the lyrics and in those who put music to the lyrics.  However, I think there is also some true musical genius and talent in the way certain artists can interpret, feel, and perform songs that are not written by them.  It's quite possible that a hit song would have still been a hit song with another artist, but I also think it's just as possible that it wouldn't have been.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem with Whitney Houston, in my estimation.  As talented as she was, most of her interpretations of songs were less about the proper feel and emotion of the song, and more about showing off her vocal prowess.  And that musical narcissism was reflected in her personal life, which ultimately brought about her premature downfall and now death.  Sadly, she will not be missed much as she had already been lost to the musical world through her own self-destructive behaviors and lifestyle.

I prefer Karen Carpenter's singing.  She didn't have to dress up a note with thrills and trills and permutations.  She sang it straight, and the emotion seemed genuine.  When she died it really did leave a hole in the musical landscape (though I was never really a Carpenters fan at all).

If Whitney's greatest achievement was "I Will Always Love You," then Karen's has to be "Superstar."   I cannot listen to "I Will Always Love You" from beginning to end, but I cannot not listen to the whole song once "Superstar" is playing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

BTW, Roberta Flack is a better singer than Whitney was.  Her version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a model of great singing, from phrasing to breath control and diction, that song is a lesson in how to do it correctly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

She sang like an angel. "I Know Him so Well" is one of my favorite songs, and doesn't even wind up as one of her greatest hits. That's saying something. And let's just say, the National Anthem has been sung, and probably will never be matched.

I always thought, when we lose Barbra Streisand, who will take her place with that voice? Whitney could probably do it. So incredibly sad to think she'll never sing again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]She sang like an angel. "I Know Him so Well" is one of my favorite songs, and doesn't even wind up as one of her greatest hits. That's saying something. And let's just say, the National Anthem has been sung, and probably will never be matched. I always thought, when we lose Barbra Streisand, who will take her place with that voice? Whitney could probably do it. So incredibly sad to think she'll never sing again.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I posted that on my Facebook recently.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]BTW, Roberta Flack is a better singer than Whitney was.  Her version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a model of great singing, from phrasing to breath control and diction, that song is a lesson in how to do it correctly.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Disagree; Roberta & Karen were great singers also, and on the stately side, yes. But I never thought Whitney was overtly showy; listen to her Star Bangled Banner; it's pretty much straight forward; with a trill or two at the end; nothing wrong with that. Compare hers with others, who were, quite frankly, annoying with their indulgences bordering on butchery of the song; and that includes Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson, Celine Dion, & others.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I came across Whitney's National Anthem on Youtube last year.  I played it for my British wife who was new to the song (I teared up, she didn't).  We then played the 5 or 6 other big names  that come up on the side.  We both thought no one was even close.

(The Marvin Gaye one is the coolest by far).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Whitney : Actually recent news revealed Brian Jones was murdered by workmen at his manor property after a dispute. However from what I've read, Jones being unreasonable due to drug use was probably a contributing factor. Did Ms. Houston have a great voice, excellent vocal range, and enjoyable phrasing & stylistic capability ? Yes. Does the fact she wasn't a songwriter affect her performing ability ? No. Did her drug abuse and irresponsible , selfish behaviour deprive her daughter of a mother ? Yes. Part of being a grownup, or at least a parent, is realizing one's responsibilities for others and giving up the self-centered hedonism of drug / alcohol use....take it from one who's been there, done that. So another coked-out dissipated entertainer killed themselves.......should we care ? Hmm.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

Brian Jones murder revealed?  Hardly.  Just one person's claim 40 years after the event.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : Pavarotti, Domingo, and a bunch of other tenors sang Puccini. I don't recall Puccini singing Puccini. An absurd notion, and more generally, for a change, this thread's been hijacked by the usual prognosticators.  Pehaps Brady shouldn't be compared to Sammy Baugh 'cause he wasn't a 2-way player. Using that logic, Edelman's better
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

"Pavarotti, Domingo, and a bunch of other tenors sang Puccini."
      That's my point entirely.  Puccini sat down with a blank piece of paper and created brilliance.  Dozens, if not hundreds, of talented tenors heard it and thought "Wow, that's great work, I want to sing that" and proceeded to sing marginally different versions of it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE] First African American on the cover of Seventeen....and seventeen more years until the first African American in the Red Sox manager's ofice.

It's people like you who keep racism alive and well.
    Try being a uniter instead of a divider.....are you an obama supporter?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I came across Whitney's National Anthem on Youtube last year.  I played it for my British wife who was new to the song( I teared up, she didn't).  We then played the 5 or 6 other big names  that come up on the side.  We both thought no one was even close. (The Marvin Gaye one is the coolest by far).
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Tom, I have to admit, that is an awesome avatar...is that you back in the day? That is some serious hipster cred there whomever it is!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : Tom, I have to admit, that is an awesome avatar...is that you back in the day? That is some serious hipster cred there whomever it is!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

G
    I cant take credit for that look. It belongs to the man single-handedly trying to bring back the sweater vest:

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]She was a great singer who sold albums better then anyone.   I would not put her up with the greatest performers.  I saw her a few times and she like many, was late and rushed thru the concert and left early.  She rarely sold out because  of her reputation.   I doubt she would have even sold out the Berkeley Performance center at the end of her career.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

I was never a fan, but I think her last few years should be ignored when it comes to her musical legacy.  Some friends of mine went to see her a few years ago and said she was a shambling, wasted wreck so they left after 4 songs.  She had problems and they ruined her life and career.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts