Who are good announcers to listen to?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Who are good announcers to listen to?

I like the familiarity and chuminess of Remy and Orsillo.  Sometimes one likes to hear someone else call a game, though.

MLBTV.com gives me an opportunity to watch every game, home or visiting broadcast.  What team's announcers are worth listenting in on?

Sometimes I just switch over to the other team's broadcast when the Sox play, just to see what they have to offer.

Earlier in the season I caught a game with Dick Enberg and Tony Gwynn for the Padres.  Pleasant game calling. 

Any other suggestions out there?  Sox are getting harder to watch, and I'd hate to waste the subscription to MLBTV.com!  Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Who are good announcers to listen to?

Don and Jerry are better than most

Joe Castliglione is my favorite

Joe Buck, Joe Gargiolla (sp?), Scully, Michaels.....Ron Darling and Eck are good.......

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Joe Morgan and the Sunday... or monday? night crew do a good job imo.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Keith Hernadez, Ron Darling and Gary Cohen, do a good job. Catch is, you have to watch the Mets

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Who are good announcers to listen to?:
    [QUOTE]Keith Hernadez and Ron Darling, do a good job. Catch is, you have to watch the Mets
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Get over it J-Bay, Bay is gone and so are Manny, Pedro,, Cabrera, Lowe, Nomar, and  other malcontents.l

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Jason Bay was not a malcontent.
    When I first began listening to he Sox, the announcers were Curt Gowdy, Ned Martin and Art Gleason in 1961.
    Gleason died in the off season, and they picked up the horrid Mel Parnell.
    Gowdy and Martin were the best. Same team on TV and radio.
    Very few weekday TV games, then. Earl Wilson's no hitter was a rare weekday broadcast.
    Those Sox teams were awful. Players were heros. Nobody knew much about their personal lives, unlike now. There was an aura of mystery about the game.
    Nobody knew the NL players, except what they read on a pitch card or magazine. The All Star game and World Series was the only time you'd get to see a Willie May, or a Stan Musial.
    A very different time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

True about J-Bay, my mistake. However he failed the four-year physical. The FO was correct. Believe it or not they are not always wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Yes, I'm sure the Sox wonderful doctors saw the multiple concussions, which Bay got in NY, in 2009.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Vin Scully, far and away the best announcer in MLB. He keeps a steady line of interesting chatter going all the time and he does it ALONE. He's amazing. My regret it that since I don't subscribe to the baseball package I seldom get to hear him call a game.

If you haven't heard him try to tune in a Dodgers game sometime soon. He's well worth the price of admission. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hmwazmo. Show hmwazmo's posts

Ron Darling and Gary Cohen are very good. Ken Singleton and david Cone from YES are decent.

Keith Hernandez sucks,Paul O'Neil sucks,Rick Sutcliffe sucks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I have the Extra Innings package, and I usually have to go with the home team's feed.  Let me tell you, when the Sox are losing, which they've done a lot of this year, the opposing team's announcers can be brutal to listen to.

I love Remy and Orsillo, but I'm sure that is my home team bias.

Mark Grace and Daron Sutton from the Diamondbacks are excellent, IMO.

And as others have mentioned, Vin Scully is in a class by himself.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Joe Morgan and the Sunday... or monday? night crew do a good job imo.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  One mans trash is another's treasure I guess.  I cannot bear even thinking about Joe Morgan doing color for a broadcast.  I have the utmost respect for him as a HOF second baseman and the heart of the big red machine, but he is the absolute worst worst worst color guy I have ever heard.  He is the bill Walton of baseball broadcasting:  a great, classy player who somehow translates into a blowhard, full of himself color guy who can't seem to focus on what is actually happening in any given moment because he is so caught up in waxing My Baseball Philosophy all the time. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who are good announcers to listen to? : Interesting.  One mans trash is another's treasure I guess.  I cannot bear even thinking about Joe Morgan doing color for a broadcast.  I have the utmost respect for his as a HOF second baseman and the heart of the big red machine, but he is the absolute worst worst worst color guy I have ever heard.  He is the bill Walton of baseball broadcasting:  a great, classy player who somehow translates into a blowhard, full of himself color guy who can't seem to focus on what is actually happening in any given moment because he is so caught up in waxing My Baseball Philosophy all the time. 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Joe Morgan is a complete putz

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

[QUOTE]Vin Scully, far and away the best announcer in MLB. He keeps a steady line of interesting chatter going all the time and he does it ALONE. He's amazing. My regret it that since I don't subscribe to the baseball package I seldom get to hear him call a game. If you haven't heard him try to tune in a Dodgers game sometime soon. He's well worth the price of admission. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

You are right on with Scully. I really like our play by play guys. I will say this: I cannot stand John Sterling. Dwayne Stats in Tampa is far better than Sterling. I also have fun listening to the Hawk. Unfortunately he drowns out Stone.
     Hawk is the only guy who calls the us "Carmines"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Vin Scully, far and away the best announcer in MLB. He keeps a steady line of interesting chatter going all the time and he does it ALONE. He's amazing. My regret it that since I don't subscribe to the baseball package I seldom get to hear him call a game. If you haven't heard him try to tune in a Dodgers game sometime soon. He's well worth the price of admission. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I will give Scully a listen-to.  Thanks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I live near Dallas, and when I had cable, the Rangers would be the only team I could watch.  I gotta say, Tom Grieve is impossible to listen to.  So fekkin dry!

He came from Pittsfield, MA (my hometown), and knew my family, so I always try to give him the benefit.  I just can't though.  Just doesn't pop with his anecdotes....

I loves me the MLBTV smorgasbord!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I knew Orsillo way back in 1991 and 1992 when he worked for the Pittsfield Mets, at that time the short-season team for the Mets.  I worked at the front gate, souvenir booth, cleaning, lots of things.  I saw him frequently and listened in from the back of the press box when I had time.  It was a treat when he showed up for the Sox broadcasts.

It reminded me of home and moments from my youth, so I am kind of partial to his broadcasts.  Plus, Remy cracks me up, as I can never figure out if he likes Orsillo or what.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I enjoy listening to Marlins announcers when I have visited friends in Florida. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Anybody and Dennis Eckersely.

I can't take Remy and Orsillo.  They spend way too much time being cute and not being relevant.  Every now and then Orsillo will ask Remy about his baseball experience, and he gets an answer.  I'd like to see a lot more of that and lose the chumminess.  Also, lose the pseudo-celebrities who come up to the booth for entire half innings.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

To honor a Red Sox great and relive my childhood, I have fond memories of Ken Coleman and Johnny Pesky on TV. Ned Martin did radio at the time.

I like Don Orsillo and Joe Castiglione and the rest of the current group, but it will never get better than Coleman-Pesky on TV and Martin on radio.

Sections
Shortcuts