Cody Ross

Julian Tavares

David Wells

Todd Walker

Edgar Renteria

Pokey Reese

Tommy Harper

Ken Harrelson

Just kidding on most of them. Many weren't heroes at all...but they all were gone before we really got to know 'em. The revolving door spins faster these days...you're yesterday's news faster than you can say "yesterday's news!"

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

LOL! You have a good sense of humor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Who Are Red Sox

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Richy Gedman

Gedman .... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Never a big Gedman fan. Hated his swing and I blame him more than Stanley for 1986.

Hahaha.  Fair enough Roy.  Allow me to amend:  Geddy, a folk hero to all Worcester natives like myself.

Touche.

The Worcester baseball folk hero list goes:  Mark Fidrych, Geddy and Tanyon Sturtze who I played little league ball with.  But he was a total dooosh, so I don't include him.

No Tiny Tim Collins or Bryan LaHair?

Isn't LaHair the only Worcester native ever to play in the All Star game?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Richy Gedman

Never a big Gedman fan. Hated his swing and I blame him more than Stanley for 1986.

Hahaha.  Fair enough Roy.  Allow me to amend:  Geddy, a folk hero to all Worcester natives like myself.

Touche.

The Worcester baseball folk hero list goes:  Mark Fidrych, Geddy and Tanyon Sturtze who I played little league ball with.  But he was a total dooosh, so I don't include him.

I actually didn't even know LaHair was from Worcester.  Been a long time since I was back that way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Richy Gedman

Touche.

I actually didn't even know LaHair was from Worcester.  Been a long time since I was back that way.

When did you leave? I went to college in Worcester way back in 19XX.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

A big vote for Derek Lowe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Bill Lee should be No. 1 of course. Then Carbo and George Thomas. Darnell Mcdonald, Oil Can, Gene Conley,Roger Moret. I'm sure there are others but that's just a start. Tony C is my all time favorite but he's more of a star then a folk hero(RIP Tony). Joe Foy(RIP) also. He hit some clutch home runs. And of course war hero and spy Moe Berg.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

Couldn't come up with a better description. By this, I mean players who have had short stays but became fan favorites.

This list would be incomplete without the name of the player who walked off with the last-out baseball of the first victorious Red Sox World Series team since 1918.

Doug Mientkiewicz

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Gedman was good, he could hit doubles, they all had that downward swing in those days, forget the hittings coach's name.  How many seasons did Gedman play for the Sox?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

Couldn't come up with a better description. By this, I mean players who have had short stays but became fan favorites. And I don't mean the stars. Luis Tiant, for example, to me is too much of a star to fit in this category.

And for some of the oldtimers, Stuffy McGinnis.

John Phalen McInnis gained his nickname as a youngster in the Boston suburban leagues, where his spectacular playing brought shouts of "that's the stuff, kid".

For decades he held major league fielding records for first basemen over one season.  In 1921, he played in 152 games with the Red Sox and committed only one error in 1,651 chances for a .9993 mark, and his 1,300 errorless chances, also represented a season mark.  Between May 31, 1921, and June 2, 1922, McInnis set a third record with 1,700 chances without an error over the course of 163 games.

On June 25, 2007, Kevin Youkilis played in his 120th consecutive game at first base without an error, breaking the prior Red Sox record set in 1921 by McInnis.  In his 205th game without an error on April 27, 2008, Youkilis also established a new major league record for first basemen when he fielded his 1,701st consecutive chance without an error, passing the old mark of 1,700 set by McInnis.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

Bill Lee should be No. 1 of course. Then Carbo and George Thomas. Darnell Mcdonald, Oil Can, Gene Conley,Roger Moret. I'm sure there are others but that's just a start. Tony C is my all time favorite but he's more of a star then a folk hero(RIP Tony). Joe Foy(RIP) also. He hit some clutch home runs. And of course war hero and spy Moe Berg.

Darnell McDonald definitely. I thought of Foy. All are nice picks.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

Couldn't come up with a better description. By this, I mean players who have had short stays but became fan favorites. And I don't mean the stars. Luis Tiant, for example, to me is too much of a star to fit in this category.

Two no-brainers that fit what I'm talking about are:

Dave Roberts

Koji Uehara

Two others that might fit the bill:

Kevin Millar

Bernie Carbo

But it seems like I'm missing some obvious one but I'm blanking right now.

CLYDE VOLLMER

AL ZARILLA      CARROL  HARDY     GENE STEPHENS    BILLY RHOR

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Phil Plantier

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

CLYDE VOLLMER

[/QUOTE]

Hey BOSOX, love your picks.  I remember well each one.

Vollmer - 'Dutch the Clutch' was superb in the early 50's with the Sox.  And perhaps of interest to the young guys here on the forum, like Daniel Nava, Clyde in his first Major League at-bat in 1942 playing for the Cincinnati Reds hit the first pitch he saw out of the park.

As for Zarilla, my grandfather had me memorize the Sox starting lineup before I knew the Lord's Prayer, and Al 'Zeke' Zarilla was the one name that I had the most difficulty remembering.

Carroll Hardy, although I'm not absolutely sure of this, but I do recall that he played briefly in the NFL before turning to baseball.  But I do remember him once pinch hitting for Ted Williams.

Gene Stephens, 'Ted Williams 'caddy',  in that he was very fast and often sent in as a late-in-the-game defensive replacement in left field after Teddy had his last at bat.  I think he also filled in for Williams as left fielder when Williams went off to war.

Billy Rohr, was the toast of the town in 1967 when as a 21-year-old rookie, he made his first start at the New York Yankees's home opener.  He faced future Hall of Famer Whitey Ford, and was one strike away from a no-hitter when Elston Howard who later that season was traded to the Sox,  hit a soft single into right-center field.  Rohr then retired the next batter for a 3–0 shutout. In his next start, he beat the Yankees again, 6–1, and folks in Boston started referring to him as 'Yankee killer'. However, he only won one more game in the majors after that.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Ciao

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

[QUOTE]

And for some of the oldtimers, Stuffy McGinnis.

John Phalen McInnis gained his nickname as a youngster in the Boston suburban leagues, where his spectacular playing brought shouts of "that's the stuff, kid".

For decades he held major league fielding records for first basemen over one season.  In 1921, he played in 152 games with the Red Sox and committed only one error in 1,651 chances for a .9993 mark, and his 1,300 errorless chances, also represented a season mark.  Between May 31, 1921, and June 2, 1922, McInnis set a third record with 1,700 chances without an error over the course of 163 games.

On June 25, 2007, Kevin Youkilis played in his 120th consecutive game at first base without an error, breaking the prior Red Sox record set in 1921 by McInnis.  In his 205th game without an error on April 27, 2008, Youkilis also established a new major league record for first basemen when he fielded his 1,701st consecutive chance without an error, passing the old mark of 1,700 set by McInnis.

McInnis did it with a primitive glove. FPCTs were way down compared to today in part.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I don't think Lee, Tony C, Damon, Foy, Tiant, and a few others qualify; they played too many seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

CLYDE VOLLMER

Hey BOSOX, love your picks.  I remember well each one.

Vollmer - 'Dutch the Clutch' was superb in the early 50's with the Sox.  And perhaps of interest to the young guys here on the forum, like Daniel Nava, Clyde in his first Major League at-bat in 1942 playing for the Cincinnati Reds hit the first pitch he saw out of the park.

As for Zarilla, my grandfather had me memorize the Sox starting lineup before I knew the Lord's Prayer, and Al 'Zeke' Zarilla was the one name that I had the most difficulty remembering.

Carroll Hardy, although I'm not absolutely sure of this, but I do recall that he played briefly in the NFL before turning to baseball.  But I do remember him once pinch hitting for Ted Williams.

Gene Stephens, 'Ted Williams 'caddy',  in that he was very fast and often sent in as a late-in-the-game defensive replacement in left field after Teddy had his last at bat.  I think he also filled in for Williams as left fielder when Williams went off to war.

Billy Rohr, was the toast of the town in 1967 when as a 21-year-old rookie, he made his first start at the New York Yankees's home opener.  He faced future Hall of Famer Whitey Ford, and was one strike away from a no-hitter when Elston Howard who later that season was traded to the Sox,  hit a soft single into right-center field.  Rohr then retired the next batter for a 3–0 shutout. In his next start, he beat the Yankees again, 6–1, and folks in Boston started referring to him as 'Yankee killer'. However, he only won one more game in the majors after that.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Ciao

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff; in the Rohr game vs NYY, Triple Crown Yaz made one of the greatest catches ever off Tom Tresh in Death Valley.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

There was at least 10 books written about him, the best one was

The Catcher Was a Spy: The Mysterious Life of Moe Berg   by   Nicholas Dawidoff 

He was so well known that when he went on Baseball's Japanese Tour of 1934, the Japs immediately arrested him. He's the only ballplayer whose baseball card is on display at the headquarters of the CIA,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/field-keywords=Moe%20Berg?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1

For a quickie overview, check out his wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Berg

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Luis Aparicio

Tommy Harper

Bill Lee

Rick Burleson

Dustin Pedroia

Sox4ever

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Juan Marichal

Saberhagen

Cone

Cha Cha Cepeda

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Jody Reed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

This thread has gone far enough !!!!!     STOP  ....  Please !!

It certainly seems apparent that a number of folks are having some fun and enjoyment with this post, as opposed to the virulent and caustic posts that others use to cut and thrust with their inane banter.

However, if you find this post and the responses offensive or annoying, instead of asking us to stop, perhaps I might suggest, respectfully, that you simply stop clicking onto this post.

Shazam, problem solved.

BILLY KLAUS

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

This thread has gone far enough !!!!!     STOP  ....  Please !!

It certainly seems apparent that a number of folks are having some fun and enjoyment with this post, as opposed to the virulent and caustic posts that others use to cut and thrust with their inane banter.

However, if you find this post and the responses offensive or annoying, instead of asking us to stop, perhaps I might suggest, respectfully, that you simply stop clicking onto this post.

Shazam, problem solved.

BILLY KLAUS

Some interesting blasts from the pasts.

Don't know if I agree with all of them -- Marichal ? -- but still fun to remember some of these players.

To the poster who mentioned Derek Lowe. I think he became more of a folk hero after he left because of what he did in the playoffs. Late in 2004 when his ERA was over 5.00, fans were running him out of time.

And that Bill isn't enjoying this thread says all that needs to be said of his true nature.

Sections
Shortcuts