Who Are Red Sox "Folk" Heroes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Who Are Red Sox

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

This thread has gone far enough !!!!!     STOP  ....  Please !!

It certainly seems apparent that a number of folks are having some fun and enjoyment with this post, as opposed to the virulent and caustic posts that others use to cut and thrust with their inane banter.

However, if you find this post and the responses offensive or annoying, instead of asking us to stop, perhaps I might suggest, respectfully, that you simply stop clicking onto this post.

Shazam, problem solved.

BILLY KLAUS

OK,OK .......  Billy Goodman, Billy Consolo !!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

No love for Piersall, Jensen, Runnels, Monbouquette, Stange, Dr. Strangeglove, or Stephens?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali9. Show neali9's posts

Roger (Rogelio) Moret.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

This thread has gone far enough !!!!!     STOP  ....  Please !!

It certainly seems apparent that a number of folks are having some fun and enjoyment with this post, as opposed to the virulent and caustic posts that others use to cut and thrust with their inane banter.

However, if you find this post and the responses offensive or annoying, instead of asking us to stop, perhaps I might suggest, respectfully, that you simply stop clicking onto this post.

Shazam, problem solved.

BILLY KLAUS

OK,OK .......  Billy Goodman, Billy Consolo !!!!!

Kudos to you Bill for being a good sport.

Billy Consolo once told a grear story of how  one time he hit the ball into the alley of the oufield getting an inside-the-park home run. However the umpire called him out for missing second base. Consolo said he charged the umpire from the dugout and told the umpire;

"You're wrong. I touched second base. I missed third. But I touched second."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It's always bothered me that Millar's walk and Roberts' steal is always remembered, but Bill Mueller, who actually scored Roberts gets very little love.

Johnny Damon was my favorite player until his bad decision, but it was definitely fun while it lasted. Complete goofball and flowing hair -- loved every minute of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Tony Conigliaro, Bill "Spaceman" Lee, Yaz, johnny Peski, Harry "The Golden Greek" Agannis (his life was too Short), Dom DiMaggio.

Life is what happens while were busy making other plans.

John lennon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My top 5:

1) Tommy Harper: he got me hooked on baseball while I was a kid in Milwaukee.

2) Luis Tiant: re-invented himself and showed that pitching and heart wins games.

3) Bill Lee: colorful, resourceful, and one of a kind.

4) Luis Aparicio: got me hooked on the importance of SS defense.

5T) Bernie Carbo: the big 3-run job... joyfulness before the tears.

5T) Pedro Martinez: blessed me with the chance to see the greatest of Alltime.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Couldn't come up with a better description. By this, I mean players who have had short stays but became fan favorites. And I don't mean the stars. Luis Tiant, for example, to me is too much of a star to fit in this category.

Two no-brainers that fit what I'm talking about are:

Dave Roberts

Koji Uehara

Two others that might fit the bill:

Kevin Millar

Bernie Carbo

But it seems like I'm missing some obvious one but I'm blanking right now.

I guess those guidelines weren't necessarily followed, Roy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

Couldn't come up with a better description. By this, I mean players who have had short stays but became fan favorites. And I don't mean the stars. Luis Tiant, for example, to me is too much of a star to fit in this category.

Two no-brainers that fit what I'm talking about are:

Dave Roberts

Koji Uehara

Two others that might fit the bill:

Kevin Millar

Bernie Carbo

But it seems like I'm missing some obvious one but I'm blanking right now.

I guess those guidelines weren't necessarily followed, Roy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it did kind of grew. What happens is posters read the title and don't read the OP. I've done that at times and gone back to edit the post because I realized it didn't fit.

Admittedly, it was kind of a narrow group of players and it might be hard to remember how fans felt at the time of players from the past.

Tiant, Damon, Pedro certainly had that "folk hero" appeal but they were stars and really didn't have short careers in Boston.

I was looking for more of the Dave Henderson types. They players who had that brief stay but did something memorable (Henderson, Roberts, Carbo) -- that places him above all those other players who come through.

Or they had colorful personalities and also had that memorable year (Koji) or couple of years (Radatz).

Maybe I should have tried to explain what I was going for a little better. Still -- a fun topic and I appreciate the responses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Mantle had abusrdly awful #s vs Radatz; I believe he struck out about 75% of the time

http://joyofsox.blogspot.com/2005/03/mantle-v-radatz.html

Also, Radatz hurt his arm in '65 due to TW insisting he learn how to throw a sinker; it ruined a likely HOF career

Sections
Shortcuts