Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011

In Response to Re: Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011:
    In Response to Re: Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011 : Merry Christmasm Steve! I agree that he was pressing.  I think that really want to impress our rabid lot.  We are - I am - rabid about the Red Sox.  But I also want him and them to do well.  I hope he can feel our support and not our negatives ...  
    Posted by SinceYaz

Merry X-Mas to you, S-Y. I think Bobby V shall help Carl to relax; this is an observation that new mgrs tend to make due to the fresh start factor, (the fact that he wasn't even playing the field well, and he's one of the best, or running the bases well, once again, one of the best, was telling); considering Fenway is good for the BA, expect a .300+ yr from him.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The over-riding reason why CC is a Red Sox is no longer employed by the Sox. Doesn't make it better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

So, I guess some of you hope that Crawford does bad this year, so you can prove some point.   Well, good for you.  

Here's hoping he finds his way back.  We need him on this team.   

Happy Holidays 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011:
    " What annoys me on the forum is why so many make the assumption that Crawford will continue to disappoint." Actually there are many, many, many things that annoy you about this forum. Many many quirks that drive you just a bit nuts, nuts enough to....log back in and check on the forum again!  Perhaps at some point you'll want to just have a baseball debate with some imperfect peeps that don't agree with each other. Forums feed off silly posts, especially in the offseason.  On the baseball topic at hand clearly Crawford year two is going to tell the tale of that contract. A fun subplot is that Valentine and Crawford haven't spoken since V criticized his stance on TV. To me that's a lot more interesting than polling quirks.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

OK, I guess that if silly posts are the lifeblood of the forum and people love to respond to them. What may be happening is that some people are masquerading as silly people for the sake of the forum. That makes me feel better about it since I find it unbelievable that people can be so stupid.

Why is it interesting to fabricate speculation on the present relationship between Vanentine and Crawford. Isn't that a topic better suited for a tabloid publication? The forum made a mountain over a molehill on the relationship between Youkillus and Ellsbury. These things are typical fodder for cady, gossiping, old ladies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But consider this:  

1)  LAA signs Crawford for $122 million and 5 or 6 years (I don't remember the term).  They get the LF compliment to Torii Hunter ....

2)  Sox save a boat load of cash.  To get whom?

Albert Pujols?     1bman ...but we have one.  I know Albert is better, but not enough to invest the big bucks again at first.  (Begs the question, do we then trade Adrian and eat his contract anyway??)

Prince Fielder?     1bman...but we have one.

Mets/Marlins SS Reyes?   Always injured ... like our Nomah.  So not a great investment.

Matt Holliday(speaking in the time frame he and Reyes were available, of course)?  More big money

Or go after big pitchers ...Lee?  He wouldn't have come here.  Which other pitching FAs would you risk big bucks on???

Or would the $20 million a season be better parsed out to several lesser pitchers/players?   White Sox just signed Danks for about $15 mill a seasoon....DANKS!

Time to realize that maybe Carl was the best option at the time.  Maybe for a dollar or two less, but still.

Not to mention that NOT spending this season leaves money in the bank for our man Ellsbury NEXT season.

Not signing Crawford would have allowed us to keep Ellsbury at any cost (if that's what we wanted to do), and do other things.

There were other options to  Crawford last winter. Some bombed as bad or worse than CC, but at a much lower cost. Dunn and ordonez bombed, but Berkman was perhaps the best FA signing of the winter with no long-term commitment as well.

I doubt we could have gotten Cliff Lee at any cost, but with CC's money we could have kept Papelebon and still had millions left over to sign a pitcher or two this winter and for years to come.

I have nothing against Crawford and think he will improve in 2012 to close to his 2010 numbers, but as I said at the time of the signing, even if he gave us 7 years of 2010 numbers, he'd still be overpaid by $50M. I still believe that is true, and that is not meant to be insulting to CC in anyway. 

Crawford had a career .781 OPS before signing and just came off an .851 OPS season in 2010 (career high). How many .851 OPS guys get $20+M x 7? None. 

How many players on good teams are no platooned if they have .684 OPS vs LHPs?
    How many players that should be platooned get $20+M x 7?
    How many platoon-type players with weak arms get $20+M x 7?

All this is not meant to bash CC or wish him no success, so I can gloat over being "right". I wasn't right. I was very wrong on what I projected CC to do in 2011. I expected him to be aroung .851 for 2011, 2012, and maybe 2013, then slowly decline to about .770 by the last year of the deal. Those numbers would be very helpful to this team, and I still expect him to come close to those numbers from here on out. That still doesn't mean we couldn't have done better with $142M/7.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If you show up every day and play hard, then yes you earned your salary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Enough with all of this accusation nonsense. No poster here is in charge of this board and in a position to accuse others of anything. This board should be just for baseball discussions. Too many of the legitimate discussions go off track with name calling and accusations. How about sticking to baseball for a change.  Oh yeah, Merry Christmas everyone!
    Posted by jrh1194

Said "Jr" the "Sox fan" who used to camp out on Beni's threads bashing him for having a little fun with the Yankees. lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011 : Sorry, kim, you're full of it, for a change. The interrogation room comment is more of the same from you; considering this is just what you do. The rest of it was just over the top high brow catharsis - must have tickled a funny bone (If you could call it that, lol). Regardless, I have plenty of civil conversations here, and I don't know anybody on those other boards, because I wasn't there long enough. I started here because I was a Globe subscriber, and did not participate in forums before, and it became a creature of habit for me, as I've said multiple times in the past. When it comes to other things in life, and based on your non-baseball comments, it appears you're just lovely. However, here, you are just one delusional, twisted, poor sportsmanship oriented, hateful person, and I'm not going to fall for your arm twisting garbage. You demonize zac, not one of my favorite posters anyway, although certainly not a monster, yet approve of pike, including the horrific trufan episode, that for example claimed I was a jailed martial arts instructor (and which got him banned for the moment); scary stuff.  This board is apparently just not good for you. 
    Posted by nhsteven

You believe a Yankee fan making a Sox board their home and going after posters whose comments you don't care for about the Yankees is good for you? You even went after a Sox fan for being too positive because you felt he had no reason to be. I questioned your post, and my post was removed. Remember?

You could be having positive conversations about what's going on with your team on a Yankee board instead of camping out here to pounce on posts. I think there's more hate in what you do. I'm not sure it's all about the Yankees and baseball though since you don't appear that interested in them. No true baseball fan would have zero interest in anything to do with their own team, and just want to police another team's board -- all year round FTR. My guess is you just don't like New England.

Btw, nice to see you're back to your 75 different insults in one sentence craze.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Who are the 9% that think Crawford earned his salary in 2011 : You believe a Yankee fan making a Sox board their home and going after posters whose comments you don't care for about the Yankees is good for you? You even went after a Sox fan for being too positive because you felt he had no reason to be. I questioned your post, and my post was removed. Remember?   You could be having positive conversations about what's going on with your team on a Yankee board instead of camping out here to pounce on posts. I think there's more hate in what you do. I'm not sure it's all about the Yankees and baseball though since you don't appear that interested in them. No true baseball fan would have zero interest in anything to do with their own team, and just want to police another team's board -- all year round FTR. My guess is you just don't like New England. Btw, nice to see you're back to your 75 different insults in one sentence craze.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

You're a true baseball fan, but I'm not. Perhaps you should recheck our post histories.

Somehow I got your post removed .. well, err ... OKKKK.

It's OK for you to insult, then when somebody else does it, (or at least as you perceive), then you use the insult card. The usual.

I'm policing this board; see above.

You endorse Pike's trufan comments, conclude Zac is a monster, claim odd things about this board and the defunct side board, make sweeping accusations about posters, defend Beni's aliases and villify his critics (either real or imagined), make bizarre comments about the history of umpiring, repeat all this nonsense ad infinitum, etc. 

Do you even HEAR yourself these days?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

better question...did you earn yours??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Both the Nationals in signing Jason Werth and Red Sox in signing Carl Crawford overdid it, but there were not many productive FA outfielders available and the Red Sox had watched Crawford for many productive AL East seasons. We need to see what Carl does for the Red Sox for a number of seasons. Playing half of his games in front of capacity crows in Fenway, compared to Tropicana Field, had significant impact on Carl, but he still may prove to have been a good signing over a couple of seasons in Boston and over the length of his Contract. No question we were spoiled by 2004 and 2007, but I believe Crawford was more responsible for the Rays' success than Werth was for the Phillies' success and will prove to be a valuable asset to the Red Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Crawford gets an award   ..................

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/19529/the-dubious-distinction-for-goat-of-2011

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

im in the 9%

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Both the Nationals in signing Jason Werth and Red Sox in signing Carl Crawford overdid it, but there were not many productive FA outfielders available and the Red Sox had watched Crawford for many productive AL East seasons. We need to see what Carl does for the Red Sox for a number of seasons. Playing half of his games in front of capacity crows in Fenway, compared to Tropicana Field, had significant impact on Carl, but he still may prove to have been a good signing over a couple of seasons in Boston and over the length of his Contract. No question we were spoiled by 2004 and 2007, but I believe Crawford was more responsible for the Rays' success than Werth was for the Phillies' success and will prove to be a valuable asset to the Red Sox.
    Posted by rgmfick

You are far too reasonable, logical, patient, and level-headed for this forum.

Sections
Shortcuts