Who are you willing to trade?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Who are you willing to trade?

After not making the playoffs the last couple of years--All players are available---make us an offer--Billy Beane has showed us how to play Moneyball!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The only absolutely untouchable guy is Pedroia. But unless they're blown away by an offer, the big guys are staying put. The only starter who I'd be actively shopping is Youk. I think he's the highest value guy who can be replaced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

I would consider trading Youk, but only if we replaced Kevin at 3B or when we are very comfortable Will Middlebrooks is ready, Joss Reddick or Ryan Kalish, preferably Reddick, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Felix Doubront, Bobby Jenks, Luis Exposito, Mike Aviles, Michael Bowden.  Otherwise, still want to see where Jose Iglesias is after a full season with the PawSox, where Anthony Ranaudo is after pitching for the Sea Dogs and/or PawSox and how ready Will Middebrooks is?  In terms of trades, would still like to see the Red Sox acquire Andrew Bailey, which I presume will require at least Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish and whether the Red Sox may sign Michael Cuddyer who could be a perfect fit to play in RF and at 3B and could free up Kevin Youkilis to become the DH or to be traded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Depending on how Middlebrooks is doing in AAA, we could see Youk dealt during the season to save ~$5M against the tax.  Everyone is available for the right price, but Youk, Scutty and Salty seem like the easiest pieces to move while freeing up some needed cash.  If they're serious about staying under the tax though, they could always explore dealing Crawford and eating $5M-$6M a year, but it would certainly be selling low.

If Jenks is able to put together a good first half, he could also be dealt at the deadline to free up ~$3M against the tax.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

In Response to Re: Who are you willing to trade?:
    How about Kevin Youkilis, Bobby Jenks and cash to Milwaukee for reliever Francisco Rodriguez and thirdbaseman Casey McGehee? Rodriguez, who turns 30 in January, awaits arbitration working off his 2011 salary of $11.5 million, while the 29-year-old McGehee is projected to earn $3.1 million in the first of his three arbitration seasons. Youkilis has a $12 millon salary in 2012 with a $13 million team option, or $1 million buyout, for 2013. Jenks, who turns 31 in March, is owed $6 million next season in the final year of his contract. The Red Sox would get a potentially top-flight closer and the one-year obligation would carry fewer risks than a multiyear contract for a free agent closer such as Ryan Madson. McGehee, who is one year removed from a 3.3 WAR* season, would replace Youkilis at thirdbase for the Red Sox while Youkilis would replace Prince Fielder at firstbase for the Brewers. McGehee is expendable after Milwaukee signed free agent thirdbaseman Aramis Ramirez. The Brewers gamble that Jenks can replace K-Rod behind closer John Axford in the Milwaukee bullpen. The 2012 salaries: Francisco Rodriguez -- about $12 million Casey McGehee -- about $3.1 million TOTAL -- $15.1 million Kevin Youkilis -- $12 million (plus $1 million buyout of 2013 option) Bobby Jenks -- $6 million TOTAL -- $18 million (plus $1 million) The Red Sox would need to send money to the tight-fisted Brewers. Thoughts? * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Ben has to show some balls.
    The obvious one for me is to trade Beckett. He is a pathological sourpuss and bound to clash with Valentine. Would the Rangers do a Beckett and Reddick swap for thier RF Feliz?
    yeah, I know you never trade pitching but if the Sox can land Bailey and move Bard to the rotation I would be happy with a top three of Lester, Buchholtz and Bard. Then sign Oswalt and Joe Saunders.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

McGehee was traded this week to the Pirates.
    Youk, Jenks and maybe a little cash for KRod --now that's a good deal.

That's a deal that should make dollars and sense to both parties.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I think all the posts about trading Youk proves the point that he doesn't have that much value.  If he were as a good as people say, he'd be in the Pedroia, Gonzo, Ellsbury category.

His health is a huge concern, and age, and and conditioning.  

If they trade him I doubt they'd get anything of serious value.  Put yourself in another teams shoes, would you want a guy that costs $13 million a year and is going to miss at least 25 games a year??  He's only had what I would consider 2 really good years in his career, and one of them he missed 26 games.

The guys with value to shop are Ellsbury, Gonzo, Lester, and I'd shop them all, not saying I'd move them, but I'd see what was out there.  Not sure if Gonzo has a no trade clause, but St. Louis might be interested in him to replace Pujols.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ben has to show some balls. The obvious one for me is to trade Beckett. He is a pathological sourpuss and bound to clash with Valentine. Would the Rangers do a Beckett and Reddick swap for thier RF Feliz? yeah, I know you never trade pitching but if the Sox can land Bailey and move Bard to the rotation I would be happy with a top three of Lester, Buchholtz and Bard. Then sign Oswalt and Joe Saunders.
    Posted by pumpsiefan

Beckett and Carl Crawford to Texas for David Murphy, Koji Uehara, and either starters Colby Lewis or Matt Harrison. Koji would be a good pen arm--Murphy is a lot like CC for a lot less money. Lewis/Harrison would be a #3 with the Sox.
    Use the left over cash to sign Ells long term or if he refuses a serious long term contract use Ells to trade for  a legitimate #2 or #3 starter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

McGehee was traded this week to the Pirates. Youk, Jenks and maybe a little cash for KRod --now that's a good deal. That's a deal that should make dollars and sense to both parties.
    Posted by MadMc44

Thanks for the correction on Casey McGehee ... I've removed my post.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

For the right return anyone but Pedroia.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Murphy is like CC? He's nowhere near the calibre player crawford is. I still say Crawford will be back to his old self. 1 bad year doesn't mean you're washed up...2 may, but we aren't there yet. As for Youk, he's the only big chip they have that they should be willing to get rid of. There's smaller pieces like Aviles and the kids in RF, but I wouldn't use Youk on just a pen arm unless it's a real closer, not a past it guy like krod or a project like melancon.. Starter or right field or keep him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In theory, this kind of trade makes some sense:

Trade Youk (save $10M on AVV) for prospects.
    Trade prospects for a solid starter with 3+ years of team control.
    Use the money saved to sign of trade for more pitching.
    Use Aviles, Punto, Scutaro, and or Middlebrooks at 3B in 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Trade Youk (save $10M on AVV) for prospects.

In theory, this makes no sense. Youk's age and contract will not net prospects of quality enough to net back for solid starter. 

In fact, dealing Ellsbury makes total sense. He and blocked prospects in OF and infield will net solid young Rh of'er plus 2nd tier starting pitcher.

All year Youk trade talk has been advanced on this drivel site. Youk trade value is very low for obvious reasons. Due to cost not moveable for comparabe value, Youk trade talk is 100% nonsense.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Teams in need of a 1Bman or 3Bman (maybe StL or milw) and who think they have a shot at a title, will give up some nice prospects. We could add a low level propsect or two of our own and get a decent 3rd/4th starter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No nice prospects will come for Youk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's got the same 2 years under team control as Jacoby. 
    He's played in about as many games as Jake the last 2 years.
    He's not "passive agressive".
    He's a "legitimate top tier hitting 1Bman"
    He can also play 3B or DH.
    He has a club option for 2013.

As much as you've downplayed Jacoby's value, you'd think Youk would be as good as Pujols in your evaluation booklet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

See age and last 2 years for Youk. You are out to lunch trying to claim Youk will net good prospects. He will not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

See age and last 2 years for Youk...

Yeah, on age I see a player who will turn 33 next spring and you tout the vitues of a guy who just turned 36.

Yeah, on the last 2 years, I see a guy who placed 19th in 3B PAs the past 2 years despite the injuries and posted the 2nd best 3Bman OPS at .898.  10th in HRs 7 RBIs.

He'd have placed 7th in 1bMan OPS & is still a fine fielding 1Bman.

The guy has value.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Youk does not have top prospects value at age 33 and 2 last years of injuries and a hefty contract cost for 2012. Youk will not be traded unless it is a deal where some other team pays a large part of his contract. Don't hold your breath. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Murphy is like CC? He's nowhere near the calibre player crawford is. I still say Crawford will be back to his old self. 1 bad year doesn't mean you're washed up...2 may, but we aren't there yet. As for Youk, he's the only big chip they have that they should be willing to get rid of. There's smaller pieces like Aviles and the kids in RF, but I wouldn't use Youk on just a pen arm unless it's a real closer, not a past it guy like krod or a project like melancon.. Starter or right field or keep him.
    Posted by jgallag1

#1.  Murphy is not generally in the same class as CC--they were pretty close to one another last year. Murphy was in the Sox minor league system he is familiar with some of the current players.

#2. Would you prefer a chance to sign Ellsbury or keep CC??--yes or no. You cannot have both players unless you successfully move Beckett paying none of his salary in an out-right trade.

#3. Do you feel the Sox need a different closer than those currently under contract? Is a trade featuring Youk for KRod good for the Sox? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Who are you willing to trade?:
    Sox have not made a slash of any size so far. I do not believe they have done anything to solve last years problems: Poor conditioning which I blame players for; poor attitude (beer chicken). New manager may help but if players are so spoiled an attempt by "outsider" may make things worse. Given we want to win the WS. Given this team as constructed is unlikely to accomplish that. Theo, on his way out, make the task so difficult with the signing of CC the terrible and this fat guy named Lackless. So there is no non luxury money for FA. We must trade to improve. I liked Jed at lot but see that trade as positive. Here are some thoughts: Becket (bad attitude/spoiled), all catchers (none are above average), all prospects (none are super and most are long shots), Youk (lack of leadership and broken down), Ells (love the guy, great talent but like Paps he is all but gone and value so high), CC (will not make it in Boston and I would eat 1/3 of contract) to get rid of him, if and when it were possible Lackless/Dicepuke. I remember the 04 bunch of guys who were not all superstars but had guts, played hurt, like each other and cowboyed up. I would like to see alot of action. Your thoughts?
    Posted by teddybaseball009

Hey Bert, what's all this talk about chicken and beer.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts