Who are you willing to trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Who are you willing to trade?

I don't expect any major deals.

I do think at least one of Bowden and Doubvront gets traded.  Both are out of options and not particularly exciting.  I would expect at least one of them to be dealt for a pitcher/player with an option left...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You trade guys that you get a positive return on, but aren't key players.

I'd say we could a slightly good return on Youk, since teams need a 3B.  Bard because teams might want him as either a closer or a starter.  Reddck because I think we can use Kalish in that role.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Players I'm Okay with Trading:
    Youk
    Beckett (I have a feeling with Tek gone he will Tank)
    Scuturo
    Bard
    Jacoby (If we got Blown away)
    Salty

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Beckett?

We need pitching, and Beckett is very good at it.  He was also winning WS MVP Awards before he even met Varitek...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

The last couple of years have basically devalued Youk.  Unfortunately he can't stay on the field.  If he can prove he still has anything left in the tank and can stay on the field, maybe an deadline deal will appear.  Otherwise I doubt it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'd trade anyone for the right offer...even Pedroia for, say, King Felix.  ;-)

But realistically, anyone that's integral to the team and signed economically for years (Lester, Pedroia, etc.) would be attractive to other teams for the same reasons they are attractive to us.

The reverse is obviously true:  we literally couldn't give Manny away in 2003 because of his contract, and I doubt any team would take CC or Lackey for free today.

Too many people just can't get their heads around player value.  Talent, youth, health, skill position, low salary and team control all add value.  Age, injury, high salary/long contract detract value.

So who on the 25-man roster has significant trade value?  Pedroia, Lester, Buchholz, Bard, maybe Aceves...that's about it....and I wouldn't trade any of them.  Agon?  Fully priced.  CC?  Overpaid.  Ellsbury?  Will be nearly fully priced, and only 2 years of control at that.  Youk?  Aging, health issues.  Beckett?  Fully priced.  Papi?  Overpriced, no position.  Of the rest, I think Salty might fetch something half decent in return, but not a lot.

They have plenty of value to us, but less to other teams that cannot get a bargain and they know it.  I like Agon a lot and offer this only as an example....could we give him away?  Should we give him away if we could?  Even if we got nothing in return, we'd have $22m/year to get a first baseman plus more pitching.  But how many teams would take that salary for a 1B?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In Response to Re: Who are you willing to trade?:
    [QUOTE]You trade guys that you get a positive return on, but aren't key players. I'd say we could a slightly good return on Youk, since teams need a 3B.  Bard because teams might want him as either a closer or a starter.  Reddck because I think we can use Kalish in that role.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

JoeB--I think Youk's value is in the NL in St.Lou or Milwaukee as a 1B. To me they also have players that would help the Sox. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1NosMe. Show No1NosMe's posts

There is nothing to suggest the Sox will do this but Ellsbury's stock is at an all time high. The word is he wants out when he is a free agent. You'll never get more for him than you will right now, so move him for pitching.
    Beckett is way over rated and move likely to go down the slope of production rather than up. You need to move him also. Those are two big chips and although you won't get true value in return, you will get a pretty decent rate. These are the two you move right now. That said, it has to be to solve what will now be two outfield positions and starting and pullpen help. I have no problem sliding the entire rotation up one notch and bringing in another free agent like Oswalt to go with Bard. I also have no problem with moving Crawford to center.  Reddick and Kalish in left and right could be an experiment or a bad science project but we'll never know until we try. I think its time to try.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]Players I'm Okay with Trading: Youk Beckett (I have a feeling with Tek gone he will Tank) Scuturo Bard Jacoby (If we got Blown away) Salty
    Posted by RawckinSox[/QUOTE]

Raw--I agree with everyone on your list inc. Beckett, Bard and Ells.

If the Cubs were so inclined--Beckett for Garza or to Texas Beck for Lewis or Harrison.

Ellsbury to the Angels for Bourjos and Santana or to Texas for Cruz, D'Backs for Upton or to the Marlins for Stanton or HanRam .

Bard for Anabel Sanchez, Bard and Scutaro to the Whte Sox for Thornton and Floyd/Danks and Morel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox had the best offense (most runs, highest OPS) in MLB this year, and some of you want to get rid of key pieces like Youk and Ellsbury.  When the Sox were going strong in August, they had five of the top ten AL OPS's in their lineup every day--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, Youk, and Ortiz.

Trading Youk seems to be a good idea, but he is 33 and injury prone and therefore not likely to bring back much in a trade.  Worse, there is no equivalent bat anywhere in the Sox system to replace his at 3B. 

Beckett only had the best ERA among Sox starters in 2011, so dumping him is certain to exacerbate the pitching problem.  Having been outted by the Boston press, he is most likely to show up in shape and stay that way, end of story.  Ditto Lester.

I completely disagree with the premise of the OP, that somehow the Sox have an attitude problem or are mired in malaise.  The OP loves the 2004 team, but we've already read those guys made this year's model look like a boys choir of angelic proportions.  What won in 2004 was great pitching and hitting, not playing hurt or whatever. 

If I had to pick a single culprit from this past season, I would point to Carl Crawford, who reportedly has a great attitude and really stays in shape.  The problem was that he was the highest paid player on the team and, among everyday players, almost the worst performer.  He made JD Drew look like a bargain.  He was probably an inspiration to Jacoby Ellsbury, but not to anyone else. 

Hard to believe softlaw still wants to dump Ellsbury, the everyday player AL MVP this year or at least the one with the most votes and the only one of the "big five" who don't roll over in September.  Thanks to the dubious acquisition of Carl Crawford, Ellsbury is indeed probably headed for greener pastures, but in the meantime the Sox will have two years of his best effort, which, to the chagrin of softy, is very good indeed. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Agon?  Fully priced.  CC?  Overpaid.  Ellsbury?  Will be nearly fully priced, and only 2 years of control at that.  

Based on Pujols contract and Teixiera's contract, and what Fielder is asking for, Gonzo is underpaid.

IRT to Ellsbury, he is dramatically underpaid.  If he were a FA, he'd be looking at $18-20M per.  That's about a $13M value this year, and maybe $6-7M add value next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who are you willing to trade? : Raw--I agree with everyone on your list inc. Beckett, Bard and Ells. If the Cubs were so inclined--Beckett for Garza or to Texas Beck for Lewis or Harrison. Ellsbury to the Angels for Bourjos and Santana or to Texas for Cruz, D'Backs for Upton or to the Marlins for Stanton or HanRam . Bard for Anabel Sanchez, Bard and Scutaro to the Whte Sox for Thornton and Floyd/Danks and Morel.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

As long as we are downgrading, can we trade Pedroia for Orlando Hudson?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think for the right price just about anyone on the Sox current roster could be traded provided here is a buyer! Here's a list of guys who would surprise me if they were traded: Youkilis,Pedey,Beckett,Lester,Buchholz,Gonzo,CC after these guys everyone else could be had for the right price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

I do not think Youk is tradeable considering his injuries the last 2 years. I think Youk bounces back from injuries and leads the Sox.
    Trade for Hanley and sign a low price right handed hitting right fielder and add a starter then the Sox will be ready.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I do not think Youk is tradeable considering his injuries the last 2 years. I think Youk bounces back from injuries and leads the Sox. Trade for Hanley and sign a low price right handed hitting right fielder and add a starter then the Sox will be ready.
    Posted by ArtWikle[/QUOTE]

If you trade for Hanley, his $14M salary will prevent you from signing a RF or a stsrter, or a closer or another top BP arm, even if we decide to make melancon the closer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomp4. Show boomp4's posts

Trade Ellsbury for king Felix!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

"Teach Ellsbury how to bunt!"

Ellsbury had 29 HR,s 5 triples, and 46 doubles.  The reason why we need to teach him to bunt is?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Ellsbury, only if we are blown away (ex. Gio AND Bailey for Ells)
    Reddick
    Kalish (only if Reddick is not traded)
    Anderson
    Doubront/Bowden
    Youk, if we get a 3B in return
    Scutty