Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!

Who'd ever believe it? Despite the terrible start, which one drama queen called "a disaster," the Sox are one game out of first place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!

In Response to Re: Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!:
    [QUOTE]Who'd ever believe it? Despite the terrible start, which one drama queen called "a disaster," the Sox are one game out of first place.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]True, but I'm disappointed in you Lloyd. No flounder on the game thread?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History! : True, but I'm disappointed in you Lloyd. No flounder on the game thread?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Whoops!! Thanks for the reminder. It's been rectified.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Game 9   6 Runs

Another W

Long balls from Ross and Aviles. Papi is on fire!

Stay tuned!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Game 10   0 Runs

Tough loss in pitchers duel.

Ross the victim of ump who couldn't take the heat and wanted to get home.

Let's get it going next game!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Game 11   3 Runs

Lester, staked to 2 run lead, just doesn't have it. A night of batting practice for the Rangers.

If offense had only score 16 more runs... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Game 12    3 Runs

Patience is a virtue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Game 12    3 Runs

Patience is a virtue.

Waiting for dogs to fly is not patience, it is insanity. The Red Sox offense is a 3 runs or less identity, despite sporadic games of double digit runs that lead fools like you to think it is a good offense. It is a weak offense in a park with giant hitters' gaps. Until they get a superstar RH bat to match up with AGon, patience is waiting for global warming to melt the North Pole.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]And if you can't look at the games for 3 months of last season and see the obvious ineptitude in the "great offense" putting 3 and 4 runs or less, it's clear why you post a novel of cliches and specious nonsense. Game 1   2 Runs Game 2   0 Runs Game 3   12 Runs Game 4   4 Runs Game 5   3 Runs Game 6   1 Run The 12 runs skews the reality of how pitiful the value is in this overrated pile of prima donnas!  Nothing about the start of this season says anything about bad pitching, you moron! But it does trumpet loudly how overrated this absurdly constructed and costly offensive lineup is! Now, anyone can look at 3 full months from 2011 and extrapolate the obvious reason why season long numbers are totally false picture of the most overrated offensive team in MLB! Any other posters want to claim the Red Sox offense from 2009, 2010 and 2011 is "a great offense"! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

I request that you focus on the argument, and not the individuals...so much for that.

You call me a "moron", and yet you don't know to use the word "extrapolate". If I wanted to extrapolate 3 months of a season, I'd simply double the production of the 3 months into a full season. Extrapolation does not reveal "why" things are the way they are.

Your argument is based on a few major components. For the most part, it is anecdotal...you see the Red Sox score only a few runs in some games, and many runs in others, and you (fairly) say "man, this team isn't consistent, a truly good lineup would score more consistently". The problem is that your observation is only anecdotal, and rather RESEARCH into the issue and see if your hypothesis is correct or not, you march around declaring it to be the truth. I just showed you some DATA that shows there isn't a major difference in run consistency between the Red Sox and baseball's other best lineups from last season. While the Sox might be A LITTLE more inconsistent, that's only relative to BASEBALL'S BEST LINEUPS. So maybe the Sox don't have THE best lineup...maybe it's only 3rd, or top 5...it's still an elite offense.

The rest of your focus is on throwing in a few pieces of data...but what you do, when you, for example, cite only a three month sampling while totally ignoring the other three months, is called "cherry-picking". A proper researcher takes a hypothesis, creates a test for the hypothesis WITHOUT first knowing what it will result in, and then sees what happens (and submits fairly to the results). You, like many people who do not form proper arguments, decide on an opinion, and then ONLY CITE the evidence that seemingly agrees with your point. You sweep the rest of the evidence under the rug, because it's an inconvenient burden. Anything to be "proven" right.

I don't write these things because I need to be "right". I do my best to determine reality, the truth, and whether the results appeal to me or not, that's what I have to go with.

Clearly, I am a smarter individual than you are. I don't say that to be insulting, or as a schoolyard taunt...I say it because it is the clear truth. Anyone can compare how we each construct arguments, and that truth becomes apparent.

P.S. Regarding the issue at hand, the reason you think the Red Sox offense is so poor and so inconsistent is quite simple...ALL baseball offense have poor stretches, great games and poor games, and you, as do most people, see your own team's flaws and strengths better than those of other teams. If you were to step back and pay attention to other "elite offense" baseball teams, you'd realize it's the same with all of them. Try following a bad offensive team, or even a mediocre one, and it will quickly become clear why the Red Sox are above that level.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

redsoxu571, Last time I looked the Oakland A's had the worst offense in MLB this year. They're 7-7 so far. Sox are 4-8. As I see it so far, our pitching is overrated along with the offense. Can it get better? Maybe. The problem is inside the RS. The people making the decisions on player aquisitions and trades. Time to clean house. Start with Bill James and his crew. For the longest time now I've been trying to figure out what NATE SPEARS is doing on the 25 man roster. Can someone out there enlighten me?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]                 redsoxu571, Last time I looked the Oakland A's had the worst offense in MLB this year. They're 7-7 so far. Sox are 4-8. As I see it so far, our pitching is overrated along with the offense. Can it get better? Maybe. The problem is inside the RS. The people making the decisions on player aquisitions and trades. Time to clean house. Start with Bill James and his crew. For the longest time now I've been trying to figure out what NATE SPEARS is doing on the 25 man roster. Can someone out there enlighten me?
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]

eggplants, you're right to criticize the pitching, but this discussion was purely focused on the hitting, so it's a seperate issue.

But you're doing the same thing HWjr does...cherry-picking. Two weeks of baseball reveals almost nothing about a team. Didn't we learn that lesson last year when the Sox were terrible for two weeks and they baseball's best team for 4.5 months? If the first two weeks of the season actually revealed things, Chris Shelton would be a HOFer...

The pitching also isn't overrated, per say, because overrated means it "isn't as good as expected", and nobody expected perfect pitching. Lester has had two excellent starts (and one terrible one) in spite of the fact that April is always his worst month...he should be fine. Beckett has always been inconsistent, so nobody expects greatness from him. Buchholz deserves more than two starts on his return from injury (he was pretty effective even last year in spite of being bruised up...he'll be fine IF HE'S HEALTHY, but again, that's nothing new). Bard has done everything that can be hoped for...it's to be expected that he's had stamina issues.

And you can't say it's surprising that the bullpen has been scrambling since it lost its closer and its setup man imploded...once the bullpen settles it should be much better. Yes, the pitching has been awful to this point, but it's a combination of small sample size and, frankly, not against expectations. If the pitching is still a mess by the end of May, now we're on to something.

And I wouldn't blame Bill James for this...his position is minor, and it's not like he signs off on every move. I guarantee you he didn't approve of the Lackey signing...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

You guys crack me up. The team has an ERA of almost 7 and I have to read posts about the lineup. Question... what was the RAYS batting average last Sept. when they went 17-10? .235. Ok I know it's all about OPS and what not. Point is when your pitching is as bad as the Sox no lineup will be good enough. How about a Bucholz stinks thread?!?!?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Can anyone out there help me with my NATE SPEARS question? Where does he fit in? What part of the puzzle does he solve? I know for a fact there are better ball players in the minor leagues. Who's responsible for this fiasco ? This kid can't play a lick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Game 13  2 Runs

It's impossible for a dog to fly. It's possible for this lineup to score more. And if the offense is really as bad as they've started, one superstar ain't gonna make a difference. It takes a team to score.

Agon can't wait for help, he's gotta do his job now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

It's impossible for this lineup, as constructed, to do more than the median 3 fraction or less. Today was predictable, against the great Nova in Fenway. Once this team scores a bunch of runs, as they did for a couple of games, you will claim "what a great offense back on track".

Pay attention, and a superstar RH bat will make all the difference, much less "aint gonna make a difference".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

quit embarassing yourself kid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who consructed this disaster? Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History! : LOL, you REALLY THINK that Hank / Softlaw is serious, don't you. He is laughing himself silly and spitting out his coffee over you people taking his game seriously. He is playing you for the sucker. He is the one in charge and in control and you are the puppets who respond to his every troll. Wake up.
    Posted by Firefligh2008[/QUOTE]

No.  I don't think he is serious you troll.

bump.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

Its tim wakefield's fault. blame it on wakefield. the stock market dropped 62 points.. its wakefield's fault. famine in South Africa.. blame it on wakefield.. Earthquake in Mexico.. tim wakefield is to blame.. tsusami in Japan.. blame wakefield for it.. bruins lost game 5.. tim wakefield should get the blame.. drought in Texas.. wakefield is responsible.. dramatic sun spot explosians on the surface of the sun.. wakefield should get the blame.. syria is in a civil war.. blame it on wakefield.. 8 million lost jobs.. wakefield.. red sox blow a 9-0 lead and fall to 4-10... wakefield is to blame.. if wakefield would just stay home.. this World would be a better place!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

tim wakefield had 167 wins at the end of 2007. it took wakefield 119 games..( last 3 of 2007 ) including 96 starts and a 5.62 ERA to reach 200 wins.. the red sox lost 70 of those 119 games.. it still makes me sick.. when I think about it.. I'll never put my whole energy into this team again! never!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

Re: Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!

In response to "Re: Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Red Sox Lineup for the Money is the Worst in All of Baseball History!": Posted by Brickbat[/QUOTE] The easy fix is to trade the best player on the team?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Finally Nate Spears DFA. The question is how come it took so long to figure out this kid can't play at all. Last season and part of this season............way too long. Baseball OPS, asleep at the switch.