Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around?

We have a few candidates here and all for various reasons. Some were injured, some were MIA, and some just fell flat (or into a chasm).

Who on this list, or who that is not on the list do you feel is the most important Red Sox player that needs to turn it around?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around?

It's Josh Beckett.  He has the most to prove.  He should feel more embarassed than any other player.  He's supposed to be the leader of this pitching staff and instead was the king pin of its collapse and thus the team's collapse. 

The hitters did their job last season (for the most part).  I'm not excusing Crawford by saying that but it just goes to show that the lineup isn't as faulty as the pitching staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around?

I really wanted to vote for Beckett but at the same time we have to see what we have in Carl Crawford as it effects the next 6 years and what the team may or may not do with Elles.  We have to know which CC we have here, and we need to know asap.

When I thought up this thread Beckett was first and foremost on my mind.

By all acoounts Lester simply did not pitch well but he gave the effort.

Youk is key as without him we have a key hole in the infield and he is a huge part of the offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I'm thinking it may be Jon Lester.

As good of a pitcher as he has been for the Sox he's ALWAYS been an angry man who falters at some level and based on how he responded to accusations ("I'm a grown a$sed man") about clubhouse antics I gotta believe he is the true barometer for success.
    Jon? Show you're the man you claim to be!
    Maybe if Lester lightens up Beckett will. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I voted other: Buchholtz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I still think Beckett is the most important player on the Sox. When Beckett was lights out last year the sox won a ton of games, when he faltered in September the sox lost. I don't think it is all up to him but he is the best pitcher on the staff, and needs to set the tone the whole year. Other then that i think a lot falls on Lester and Bucholts to keep the line moving, if all are healthy it could be a very good year despite the pessimistic outlook of some fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ubahero. Show ubahero's posts

Trying to answer this post really pisses me off that we collapsed as we did last year.  If Buchholz hadn't been injured, I think we would have made the playoffs and there would be no collapse.  I too vote Clay Buchholz as most important player on the team to turn it around and get us into the playoffs next year!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

I agree with Moon... Bucholtz. Injured and missing/quality starts cost us plenty. It put our staff in a shuttle mode or band-aid staff. We lost alot of continuity down the road.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

voted lester, but now that i think about it..... beckett

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Buchholz.  If they don't have him behind Beckett and Lester it could be really bad for the rotation and the bullpen. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Beckett has to turn it around and become a team player...We can still win if Crawford hits 250 again as long as Beckett is winnning 20 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Youkilis.  He is the engine that makes the line-up go.  It is no coincdence that, even with Gonzo/Papi/Dusty/Ells, the offense sputtered in late summer/autumn.  His grinding approach and all-fields power is a vital cog in how this line-up can wear you down.  I don't think Gonzalez saw a decent pitch after August 1.  This has everything to do with Youk.  If he can stay healthy and just turn in a typical Youk year, this offense, as is, is going to be the legendary juggernaut it almost was last year.

Second place - Buccholz.

though both of these are not exactly "turn it around' stories,as they were injured.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk's turnaround could be huge, I agree, but we really didn't fall off the end of the earth in August & September...

Overall: 5.4 runs per game and an .810 OPS.
    Aug/Sep: 5.2 runs per game and an .804 OPS.

August: 4.9 runs per game and an .804 OPS.
    September: 5.4 rpg and an .804 OPS.

We needed just 1-2 quality starts down the stretch and we'd have had a shot. Bcu should give us that next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around?:
    [QUOTE]Youk's turnaround could be huge, I agree, but we really didn't fall off the end of the earth in August & September... Overall: 5.4 runs per game and an .810 OPS. Aug/Sep: 5.2 runs per game and an .804 OPS. August: 4.9 runs per game and an .804 OPS. September: 5.4 rpg and an .804 OPS. We needed just 1-2 quality starts down the stretch and we'd have had a shot. Bcu should give us that next year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Dam your numbers Moon.  Blowing up my entire arguement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I hear ya space. youk positively. CC is an absolute requirement. they gotta get that kid to close his stance a little and start getting the barrel on the ball quicker. however even with that said, the starters all have to really show up with fire in their bellies. agreed?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around?:
    [QUOTE]I hear ya space. youk positively. CC is an absolute requirement. they gotta get that kid to close his stance a little and start getting the barrel on the ball quicker. however even with that said, the starters all have to really show up with fire in their bellies. agreed?
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Hopefully the there will be enough room for the fire in those bellies this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

OTHER ....... THE NEW GUY, THAT NICE YOUNG MAN, STAN PATT  !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Actually just splitting the first 10 games in April would have made the Sox invincible going down the stretch...and the Sox had all their horses for those 10 games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If the organization didn't have the need to keep sending a washed up knuckleballer in search of his 200th win, the team would at least have made the playoffs.

Although it's really hard to dump the whole debacle in one guy's lap, this is the one thing that p*ssed me off most.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you believe is the most IMPORTANT player on the team to turn it around? : Dam your numbers Moon.  Blowing up my entire arguement.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well, it looked worse because we had such a horrible April, and then went on fire, so we did drop off a lot from june/July to Aug/Sept.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Only Bob Hohler knows the answer to the question of the OP. This assumes that what Hohler is an honest man and what he said was credible. Only he knows. Were his sources all credible? Only a fly on the clubhouse wall can be certain as to how strong and pervasive the problem was and who the ringleaders were. Otherwise we are all just speculating and making assumptions that could be vastly wrong. Doing such creates a thread that is much ado about nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Only Bob Hohler knows the answer to the question of the OP. This assumes that what Hohler is an honest man and what he said was credible. Only he knows. Were his sources all credible? Only a fly on the clubhouse wall can be certain as to how strong and pervasive the problem was and who the ringleaders were. Otherwise we are all just speculating and making assumptions that could be vastly wrong. Doing such creates a thread that is much ado about nothing.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Most of the threads are much ado about nothing.  But we still post on them.  Whether someone is trolling or not is much ado about nothing, but you still find it necessary to call them out.  Jes sayin.  Its an internet sports chat forum.  Sort of implicit that it is much ado about nothing.  But, what can be said?  I am here every day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

OK, are we "turning around" the poor start last April?

Are we "turning around the team-wide collapse of September.

Is it necessary to "turn around" the best record in MLB from May 1st through Sept. 1st.

Logically the answer is to "turn around" the performance of the one player that you pin the collapse entirely on. You assume that the collapse falls on the shoulders of one player instead of 25. Once you choose that one player then you have your answer.

However most reasonable fans would attribute the collapse on many factors, injuries, player performances, starting pitching, blown saves, conditioning, attitudes, and managing / coaching. The variables and permutations involved would fill up a huge worksheet.

But let's pinpoint or scapegoat one player and label him as the front runner since that makes a thread jell. Lots of fun.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I'm gonna go Crawford.  Beckett is tempting but if Josh gives in 2012 roughly what he did 2011, that wouldn't be that bad. 

Crawford's production was just not acceptable in 2011.  If he can get back to what he did his last couple years in TB, .300, 17, 80, .350 OBP with 50 SB, that makes the line-up drastically more dangerous.

I don't count Clay, because that isn't a turn around to me, that is a get healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i voted other...too many question marks last year to focus in on one person...obviously the starting pitching as a whole...