Who do you sign, Paps or Papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Who do you sign, Paps or Papi

Its looking more and more like Paps is back to being Paps. Theres no way way Bard is close to being as good as Paps even pitching the 8th. Paplebon has nerves of steel and has proved it time and again. Hes back to looking like his best. 

Papis had a solid start and i cant think of many DHs out there that would do better than him. Add to that we know him and how clutch he can be. 

So do we sign both? And how long and how much?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Who do you sign, Paps or Papi

Both.
    IF Papi will sign for under 10 million a year, on a two-year deal.

And if Paps will sign a 3-year deal at the same rate he is being paid now.

Any more years or more money insisted upon by either player makes it all much more debatable, IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you sign, Paps or Papi:
    Both. IF Papi will sign for under 10 million a year, on a two-year deal. And if Paps will sign a 3-year deal at the same rate he is being paid now. Any more years or more money insisted upon by either player makes it all much more debatable, IMO.
    Posted by parhunter1
    I think Papi can be had for less than 10M, Vlad is only getting 5 this year I think. I'd be a little hesitant about going 3 years on Paps. Paps won't sign before he's tested the FA waters anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'd like to see them both back seeing as how Bard is nowhere close to being ready to take over the closers roll let alone manage the 8th inning roll.  Papi is proving that he can still hit.

My guess?

Papi is back.
    Paps is not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

A guess -- just a guess -- is that Papi and the Sox will work something out. He doesn't really want to play anywhere else.
    Papelbon is a trickier case. Theo has probably been counting upon Bard to emerge as the heir apparent. As of now, that is not happening.  Nor can Theo be comfortable with the idea of Jenks as closer.  So there is no heir apparent.  OTOH, Papelbon is likely to want more years, if not more money, than Theo may be willing to commit to a closer.  
    It looks like a bind right now. Maybe it will work itself out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

If Paplebon continues to pitch like this all season he holds the stronger position than sox management.  Bard is not developing into a light's out 1 inning guy consistently enough in the setup role, so to expect him to become a closer is unrealistic at this point.  Paplebon for all the criticism levied upon him in recent seasons(much of it deserved) is very good at erasing the blown saves and starting from square 1 again.  I have not seen that ability evident in Bard at least to this point.

As far as Papi a significant paycut and a 1 year deal with a team option should get it done.  I think an 8 million heavily incentivized contract(5.5 mill base and 2.5 mill in incentives, a 5 million dollar team option plus a 500,000 dollar buyout in year 2) or something similar would be fair for both parties, assuming he finishes with numbers similar to last season, and so far he is on track to do just that and perhaps even slightly better which is impressive considering the power outage across baseball in terms of offensive production.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

I would hate to see Paplebon leave. Aside from an average year last year he has been up there as one of the best closers in the game since he came in. Ive a feeling if he walks this team will seriously regret it. Bard aint the answer at closer and Jenks isnt even a decent middle innings guy now. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ink em both.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Ink em both.

Posted by SpacemanEephus

This isn't about whether they should get tattoos or not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

I would hate to see Paplebon leave. Aside from an average year last year he has been up there as one of the best closers in the game since he came in. Ive a feeling if he walks this team will seriously regret it. Bard aint the answer at closer and Jenks isnt even a decent middle innings guy now. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

I agree. If he wants outrageous money and there another team out there that will pay it, there's not much the Sox can do about it. Top money I would give him is 3yrs at 14 mil per.

Two yrs at at 9 mil per is about right for Big Papi.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you sign, Paps or Papi : This isn't about whether they should get tattoos or not.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

Still, they would be more badazz, no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

As most note, it depends on the money.

At current money, I would let both walk.

I find it amusing that many are suddenly down on Bard.  Last year he couldn't be made closer fast enough!

How about seeing what a full season brings rather than deeming Paps & Ortiz great and Bard not-so after a whole 1/4 of the way through?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

keep em both! I like the new 7th inning guy! bard is still green. needs much more time to mature. paps is completely lights out right now. his FB is exploding into the mitt.

note to theo: get it done son! as Bill's dad would say.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Papi is an anchor to our roster flexibility.  He needs to go, despite his bat.  I would much rather a corner inf or corner of being signed to take that spot AND actually play in the field to keep the team fresher.  A reliable closer that works for your team is very hard to replace.  Look at all of the FA relivers this past off season and how poorly they have done...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Paps is going to test the free agent market, Sox will get compensation when he signs with another team...

Give Papi two year deal...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Ortiz has always shown that he wants to stay in Boston and that he isn't seeking to max out the number of bucks he can earn...if anything, I think he's just seeking job security, a contract with more than one year that allows him to feel he has a long leash on his DH job.

Unless the Sox brass decides on their own they completely do not want Ortiz (why would they do that?), I can't imagine Ortiz will be anywhere else. Plus, it should be some years before we need space at DH to use on Gonzalez and Youkilis, so Ortiz should be able to stick with the Sox and ride off into the sunset before that time.

Papelbon is a much tougher question. Theo has seemingly made it clear he doesn't want to give top dollar AND a long term contract for a closer, and if anything, Papelbon's fantastic start might price him too high. Then again, the RP market is supposed to have plenty of supply and low demand next offseason, and teams seem reluctant to hand out the 4-5 year closer contracts like they did in the mid 2000's, so it's quite possible that Papelbon and the Sox give in a bit and compromise on a sizeable but not record-setting deal.

No chance that happens before Papelbon tests the market to see what's out there, though.

Sections
Shortcuts