Who do you think is our ACE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who do you think is our ACE?

Who do you think is going to start on the opening day 2012 season against Verlander?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Who do you think is our ACE?

In Response to Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE]Who do you think is going to start on the opening day 2012 season against Verlander?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I still and really think Lester is our #1 guy even though many of you think Lester doesn't have the ace caliber.  He struggles time to time, but his seasonal numbers prove every rights to be an ace of this team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

What, no Dice-K option?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Abstain, unless given a choice of who cares about game 1, its all about the entire season and whether or not the Sox can even make the playoffs. Unfortunately, I do not think they will even come close next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Wakefield
    Tongue out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

As an afterthough, another valid choice should have been; Nobody, given the Red Sox do not even have a SP worthy of an "Ace" moniker.

BTW, assuming Verlander starts for the Tigers, guaranteed we start out 0-1.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Lester is a safer pick cuz he alway come in the spring training in a good shape as well healthy while Beckett is unpredictable.

But it wouldnt matter, just hope both come in their best shape in their career as well to finish the season in their best shape of their career!!

two twenty plus wins pitchers on the staff is something that I would like to see!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Our starters---such as they are---seemed to be locked in for a spell. I'm curious to see what the bullpen looks like next year and who the pitching coach is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just give us 5 guys who will win 13 to 18 games like the Rays. Some have said Shields is the ACE of the Rays but in reality they have 5 very good pitchers any one of which can win 13 to 18 games. Which takes the weight off of everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

Um, we don't have an ace. We have some #2's, one of them will have to start, that does not make you an ace, it must be earned, and no Sox pitcher did that this year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

ACE ?  ACE ?? YOUR TALKING AN ACE HERE ?????   MY GOSH, IT'S MORE LIKE  A JACK TO A QUEEN !   OR BASED ON APRIL & SEPTEMBER, HOW ABOUT A BUNCH OF JOKERS !!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE]Who do you think is going to start on the opening day 2012 season against Verlander?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

This team has no ace. And won't until after Blunder leaves and his bogus contracts play out . We're looking at 2-3 years of rebuilding minimum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Lester is the ace of the Sox staff...just not an ace when compared with true MLB aces.  He just can't seem to win the big ones when he is in the spotlight. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Red Baron

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Does anybody have the definition of ACE?  Are there statistical measures for it? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Perhaps the analogy to cards is applicable.
    ACE can trump any card, or can be low on the totem pole.

I think both applies to the Sox staff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Tim Wastefield.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

ACEves

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Red Sox don't have an ace.  At least no one that is ace worthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Dice-K

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Gaza

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So exactly what qualifies a pitcher for the ACE designation?  How many ACES were there in baseball this year?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE]Does anybody have the definition of ACE?  Are there statistical measures for it? 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hfx,
    Call it what you will ace, #1, stopper...To me an ace is a guy that pitches big in big games...

As far as a statistical measures...I'd think that a true #1 or ace should be in the CY conversation at minimum and be seen as a guy capable of the following minimum criteria's....

/>35 starts-220 IP
    />Hands ball to closer in must win games...
    />75% or better QS ratio or 25 starts of 6 innings, 3 runs or less...
    />Team wins 65% of the 35 games started (23-12)
    />Team wins 80 pct of games started after a loss...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/seasontype/2/sort/qualityStarts/type/expanded

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you think is our ACE? : Hfx, Call it what you will ace, #1, stopper...To me an ace is a guy that pitches big in big games... As far as a statistical measures...I'd think that a true #1 or ace should be in the CY conversation at minimum and be seen as a guy capable of the following minimum criteria's.... />35 starts-220 IP />Hands ball to closer in must win games... />75% or better QS ratio or 25 starts of 6 innings, 3 runs or less... />Team wins 65% of the 35 games started (23-12) />Team wins 80 pct of games started after a loss... http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/seasontype/2/sort/qualityStarts/type/expanded
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

OK, that's reasonable.  Now how many MLB pitchers do you think meet those criteria for, say, the past 3 years?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Remember, Lester does not care about April.  That's a direct quote.  I'd be careful using him in April at all until he gets a sharp attitude adjustment.

Sections
Shortcuts