Who do you think is our ACE?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Who do you think is our ACE?

In Response to Re: Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you think is our ACE? : OK, that's reasonable.  Now how many MLB pitchers do you think meet those criteria for, say, the past 3 years?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I don't know the answer to that but on our staff only Lester comes close and Beckett IMHO is no longer even in the conversation. I expect Lester to come back strong next year and once again lead the way for the team in starts and IP...What I would like to see from him in 2012 is to pitch deeper in games, give us 34 starts and 240 innings or so with a sub 3.50 ERA and average at minimum 7 innings per start...To do so he has to pitch to contact more and challenge hitters in the zone...He has all of the tools, the stuff and the makeup...my hope is that whomever is the new pitching coach really emphisizes the need to challege hitters in the zone and not nibble when they're ahead in the count.

As for who in the game today meets the above criteria...I'd say guys like Halladay, Sabathia, Lee and Verlander off the top of my head are consistently near or at the top in most of the above qualifiers...Felix Hernandez would be right there, though he like Lincecum are both victoms of poor offensive support so they tend to fall short on team win qualifiers. Time will tell if young guns like Kershaw and Price are ready to join that club.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE]Who do you think is going to start on the opening day 2012 season against Verlander?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Right now we don't have an ace.  Josh pitches that way but only if he has the comfort of Tek catching.  Anyone else seems to make him paranoid which worries me if we finally do let Tek go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Remember, Lester does not care about April. That's a direct quote. I'd be careful using him in April at all until he gets a sharp attitude adjustment.
    Posted by andrewmitch

2011 April ERA

Verlander 3.5

Lester 2.52

2008 - 2010 APRIL ERA

Verlander 5.11

Lester 4.04

Post-season career ERA:

Verlander     5.58

Lester   2.57

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you think is our ACE?:
    [QUOTE] Our starters---such as they are---seemed to be locked in for a spell. I'm curious to see what the bullpen looks like next year and who the pitching coach is.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but I still would like to see Lackey traded.  Not sure that this would happen.  Improving the bullpen has to be a top priority also.  I am surprised that the pitching coach hasn't been fired already.  He definitely wasn't very good this year. 

Sections
Shortcuts