Who do you want as manager in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012?

In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Teakus, it is incredibly easy to be a genius when TB was selecting the top players in the draft year after year...these TOP players have matured into the product the Rays put on the field now...and the fact that they're also losing free agents to other teams and getting more compensatory picks keeps players on the farm abundant. In order for Freidman to have similar results elsewhere he'd need to lead his new team into the basement for 4-5 years in a row and stock up via the draft again. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT! My guess is the new GM in Boston would be run out of town on a rail or the fans would just say see ya later to paying top dollar to go to Fenway to see inferior products. It's really easy to forget how bad the Devil Rays were just a few years ago...where do you think guys like Longoria, Upton, Crawford, Shields, Price, Moore and others came from?
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

The Rays being built by "years of top draft picks" is a myth.  The only real studs they've been able to draft due to their draft positions were Longoria and Price....if you want to include Upton feel free, but he's not that special.  And that would only make 12% of their roster even if you include Upton (and I don't so I make it 8% of their roster).  All the rest of the good players they've drafted were outside the first round i.e. literally could have been drafted by every other team e.g. Shields, Crawford, Hellickson, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

Pena - manager, Fisk- bench coach, Burleson- 3rd base coach, Evans- 1st base coach, Shillings pitching coach or Eckersely.    They wouldn't be a favoret of a lot of players but no " ho- hum" would be allowed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

Sweet LOU!!! with Mattingly as 3rd base coach, roll over Babe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : '41, while the names you mentioned are all interesting, they have one thing in common: Aside from Leyland, that have exactly the same amount of managerial experience as I do. Just because they were great players doesn't mean they know how to manage. (See Williams, Theodore Samuel).
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    Just because they have experience doesn't mean they know how to manage. (See Francona, Terry).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You need to throw out the book of sabermetrics and Moneyball and do whatever Bosox1941 would do after the fact / game. Use 20-20 hindsight as your guide.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays being built by "years of top draft picks" is a myth.  The only real studs they've been able to draft due to their draft positions were Longoria and Price....if you want to include Upton feel free, but he's not that special.  And that would only make 12% of their roster even if you include Upton (and I don't so I make it 8% of their roster).  All the rest of the good players they've drafted were outside the first round i.e. literally could have been drafted by every other team e.g. Shields, Crawford, Hellickson, etc.

I agree. The whole argument is a cop out anyways.

I will say that they did draft Delmon Young with the first pick.

They later traded him for Jason Bartlett and Matt Garza. They got some good production from both of them before trading Bartlett for a big chunk of their current bullpen (Gomes, Ramos, and Russell) and Garza for a bunch of prospects (Fuld, Kak-Ju Lee, Archer, Chirinos, and Guyer).

Some other draftees:
    Jaso was a 338th pick
    Upton was a 2nd pick.
    Bignac was a 45th pick.
    WDavis was 75th.
    Jake McGee 135th.
    Sonnanstine 375th.
    Hellickson 118th.
    Longoria was 3rd.
    Alex Cobb 109th.
    Desmond Jennings 289th.
    Price was 1st.
    Niemann was 125th
    Matt Moore 245th !!

Ryan Zimmerman 358th. 

They have made some very shrewd trades recently. The deal for Soriano was great, especially when you figure they got 2 draft picks on top of one great year from him. They also got rid of Kazmir just in time as many experts called it a bad trade. They got Sweeney, Alex Torres and Sean Rodriguez in return.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Just because they have experience doesn't mean they know how to manage. (See Francona, Terry).
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]
    The first sentence will read, "In 2004, he managed the Boston Red Sox to their first World Series championship since 1918." The second will read, "Three years later, he won another."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Just because they have experience doesn't mean they know how to manage. (See Francona, Terry).

What's the point of your sig line? Francona is gone. You got what you wanted, now try to move on with your life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Eric Wedge was already let go by the Indians wasn't he?  Tony Pena flat out quit on the Royals because he was tired of losing.  No thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : What's the point of your sig line? Francona is gone. You got what you wanted, now try to move on with your life.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    He can't. He's like a kid on Dec. 26.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : The first sentence will read, "In 2004, he managed the Boston Red Sox to their first World Series championship since 1918." The second will read, "Three years later, he won another."

More like "In 2004, the Red Sox won their first World Series championship since 1918." Terry Francona was the manager of that TEAM. .........Three years later, the TEAM won another." Francona was still the manager.
    You make it sound like he showed up and the TEAM became winners. When in fact, he walked into a championship waiting to happen. It would have happened with him or without him. HE did NOT WIN either World Series championship! He got the rings, but so did the bullpen coach. Nomar got a ring in 2004, did he win a World Series? They gave him a ring for being there during a part of the season. Francona got his for being there for the whole season, as did many behind the scene employees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : What's the point of your sig line? Francona is gone. You got what you wanted, now try to move on with your life.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

The point is that some people are saying he had a choice. He didn't. They let him go with his head up, but there was no way they were going to pick up the option on him. He knew that so he left before they announced that he wouldn't be re-signed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : The point is that some people are saying he had a choice. He didn't. They let him go with his head up, but there was no way they were going to pick up the option on him. He knew that so he left before they announced that he wouldn't be re-signed.

Nice car in your moniker Bosox1941. How about a few paragraphs on it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Nice car in your moniker Bosox1941. How about a few paragraphs on it?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, one of the young counter girls at Dunkin Donuts asked me what I was going to give her for her birthday. I asked what she wanted. She said a "PINK' Mercedes convertible. So I found a picture of one and my wife doctored the color and printed out a picture of it. I presented her with a card with the picture inside.
    I recently sold my 1993 Cadillac Allante. By the way, my last name is Ferrari.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Truth be told, one of the young counter girls at Dunkin Donuts asked me what I was going to give her for her birthday. I asked what she wanted. She said a "PINK' Mercedes concertible. So I found a picture of one and my wife doctored the color and printed out a picture of it. I presented her with a card with the picture inside. I recently sold my 1993 Cadillac Allante. By the way, my last name is Ferrari.
    Is your first name Vic?
    Image Detail

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Is your first name Vic?
    LOL no it's not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : LOL no it's not.
    Wasn't sure if anybody remembered the old "Taxi" episodes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

next manager: I'd like the late Ralph Houk....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

My favorite Taxi episode was when Rev. Jim went to get his cab license....."What doea a yellow light mean?" That scene brought me right out of my chair. It's in the top 3 of my favorite moments on TV.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Who do you want as manager in 2012? : The Mariners could ask for Jacoby Ellsbury in compensation because Eric Wedge has two years remaining on his Seattle contract. Lou Pinella had only one year left on his Seattle contract when Tampa Bay traded 28-year-old Randy Winn, a 4.5 WAR* All Star in 2002, to Seattle for Pinella. The 28-year-old Ellsbury posted a 9.4 WAR this year in his first All Star season. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Wedge does not have the "name value" that Piniella had. I doubt we'd have to give up a major leaguer and if we did, I wouldn't do it. I just think Wedge is the right style manager, the right personality, and knows about baseball in this town. I'd say cash would be sufficient to pry Wedge away from the lowly Mariners.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]My favorite Taxi episode was when Rev. Jim went to get his cab license....."What doea a yellow light mean?" That scene brought me right out of my chair. It's in the top 3 of my favorite moments on TV.
    Oh my god, that was perhaps the funniest three minutes in the history of television!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : If that's the case then it looks like the beat goes on with more of the same garbage we've seen the past few years.  First of all they should smash Carmine and fire Bill James.  We are not a money ball team because we have a roster of talent that should be able to win under regular circumstances.  Our reluctance to "give up outs", which is the essence of moneyball, only means that we continue to either lead the league or come in a close second in hitting into double plays.  So we give  up two outs instead of one.  The new manager of the Red Sox must not be anyone connected to the Francona regime, especially DeMarlo Hale.  We don't need a Tito clone in technicolor because he is as conservative in his approach as Tito was....And the pitching coach must be replaced.  I don't really think John Henry is too swift upstairs as far as baseball knowledge is concerned but Lucchino is supposed to be and it must be clear to him that the old ways haven't worked for the past four years.  Someone like Mackanin, Martinez or, hold on, Bobby Valentine, would be a good choice.  If we really want an up and coming manager maybe we can steal Ron Washington from the Rangers.  Don't look now but he has quickly become one of the better skippers in baseball and seems to be able to play big ball, small ball, and winning ball.  But no more Francona types.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

agree on washington. love that guy.
    wondering about martinez for sox.
    lusting after maddon

Sections
Shortcuts