Who do you want as manager in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Who do you want as manager in 2012?

My top candidate that I would like to see in Boston...

1) Eric Wedge

Former catcher, Sox player, managerial experience and success in Cleveland.
    Most importantly, he brings an attitude - he won't be pushed around and he has a great knowledge of the game.

He is the manager of the Mariners currently, but they stunk this year. It's possible he could be had. 

What do you think about Wedge? 
    Who is your top candidate?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012?

Dustin Pedroia.

Seriously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartacus2011. Show Spartacus2011's posts

Should have gotten Joe Torre before he went to LA.
    If money is no object, get Jim Leyland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Carlton Fisk

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Should have gotten Joe Torre before he went to LA. If money is no object, get Jim Leyland.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]
    Jim Leyland is under contract for 2012 ... what compensation would the Tigers seek from the Red Sox?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Who do you want as manager in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]My top candidate that I would like to see in Boston... 1) Eric Wedge Former catcher, Sox player, managerial experience and success in Cleveland. Most importantly, he brings an attitude - he won't be pushed around and he has a great knowledge of the game. He is the manager of the Mariners currently, but they stunk this year. It's possible he could be had.  What do you think about Wedge?  Who is your top candidate?
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]
    Eric Wedge is under contract through 2013 ... what compensation would the Mariners seek from the Red Sox?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Carlton Fisk
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Rich Gedman has more experience.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It's not who the fans want but who John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino want as the next manager and they will require that he works well with Carmine and know the meaning of the word "Yes".  

Interviews will be starting after Cherington is officially named the GM.     The bench coach of the Phillies (Pete Mackanin) will be one of the first interviews.
    It won't hurt the next manager's cause if he likes soccer and racing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

While it's true that Cherington may have been promised some things in the past, the man we need is Andrew Friedman from the Rays...period. This guy has been able to manage a team with only 30% of our team's player salary to be competitive with us in this tough American League East 3 outta 4 years running. He's also managed to keep his farm system well stocked while doing it. Trust me...this guy is a brilliant baseball guy and needs to be grabbed as he's available. Promises are for children-not business men.

[QUOTE]It's not who the fans want but who John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino want as the next manager and they will require that he works well with Carmine and know the meaning of the word "Yes".   Interviews will be starting after Cherington is officially named the GM.     The bench coach of the Phillies (Pete Mackanin) will be one of the first interviews. It won't hurt the next manager's cause if he likes soccer and racing.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

If available I'd grab Tony Larussa. This club will need a stable veteran manager, not some rookie experiment which may, or may not, work out.

In Response to Who do you want as manager in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]My top candidate that I would like to see in Boston... 1) Eric Wedge Former catcher, Sox player, managerial experience and success in Cleveland. Most importantly, he brings an attitude - he won't be pushed around and he has a great knowledge of the game. He is the manager of the Mariners currently, but they stunk this year. It's possible he could be had.  What do you think about Wedge?  Who is your top candidate?
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Tampa Bay has benefited greatly from years of finishing near the bottom and getting high draft picks. The best picks / pitchers were usually chosen before Boston had their picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Rich Gedman has more experience.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
     Worcester's finest!  Not sure he would make a great manager, but he could restore my hometown's good name ... if it ever had one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]It's not who the fans want but who John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino want as the next manager and they will require that he works well with Carmine and know the meaning of the word "Yes".   Interviews will be starting after Cherington is officially named the GM.     The bench coach of the Phillies (Pete Mackanin) will be one of the first interviews. It won't hurt the next manager's cause if he likes soccer and racing.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Word has it that Linda will start interviewing candidates first thing Monday morning

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Tony Pena

Dave Martinez

Beavis

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I love the Carlton Fisk idea - not as a manager, but a bench coach. Remember the Deion Sanders confrontation?  If he doesn't let an opposing batter get away with dis-respecting the game, imagine what he would be like in the dugout.  Although he was a part of the 25 players, 25 cabs days.

I second Tony Pena - he would be great for our young catching tandem of Salty and Lavarnway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartacus2011. Show Spartacus2011's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Jim Leyland is under contract for 2012 ... what compensation would the Tigers seek from the Red Sox?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

No price too high for Leyland.
    Torre isn't doing much these days...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tony Pena

Billy Beane

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? :  Worcester's finest!  Not sure he would make a great manager, but he could restore my hometown's good name ... if it ever had one.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    That was my attempt to point out how absurd the Carlton Fisk idea notion is.

Actually, if you want a former Sox catcher, Tony Pena is the man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : That was my attempt to point out how absurd the Carlton Fisk idea notion is. Actually, if you want a former Sox catcher, Tony Pena is the man.

I take strong offense to you saying my opinion is absurd.

The question is "Who do YOU want as Manager?"

And that is WHO I WOULD WANT

There is no right or wrong answer.  Again, it's just an opinion. 

First amendment anyone?????

If the topic was something like "who would be the best manager" then you could of course, get into your analysis.  I like Fisk.  I also like chocolate chip cookies.  Is my preference for chocolate chip also absurd?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I remember when the Sox were trying to persuade Clemens back to the Sox and ownership made a short video for him...

If they want to get Beane, what would they do, take him to the MONEYBALL movie...LOL...

PENA and BEANE could work...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

GM - Curt Schilling
    Manager - Ownership must go before Tito, on their knees, beg Tito to come back because without Tito, it's not Red Sox
    Captain - Dustin Pedroia
    Getting rid of - Papi, Beckett, Lackey, Tek, Wake, Youk, Lowrie, Reddick(trade bait)...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : That was my attempt to point out how absurd the Carlton Fisk idea notion is.

I agree. It's only one step up from saying I want Jennifer Love Hewitt to manage. Fisk knows baseball and has played of course, but other than that, it's just a name. He's never managed, so you have no idea how good a manager he'd be. It's just a superficial statement based on some tough-sounding talk Fisk has made. 

Heck, at least with JLH in the dugout during games, it would keep the Frat House boys from bolting to the clubhouse during games. Tongue Out

At least posters throwing around names like Wedge and LaRussa can base their suggestions on a track record as a manager.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I remember when the Sox were trying to persuade Clemens back to the Sox and ownership made a short video for him... If they want to get Beane, what would they do, take him to the MONEYBALL movie...LOL... PENA and BEANE could work...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

good one!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Tony Pena

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]While it's true that Cherington may have been promised some things in the past, the man we need is Andrew Friedman from the Rays...period. This guy has been able to manage a team with only 30% of our team's player salary to be competitive with us in this tough American League East 3 outta 4 years running. He's also managed to keep his farm system well stocked while doing it. Trust me...this guy is a brilliant baseball guy and needs to be grabbed as he's available. Promises are for children-not business men. In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Teakus, it is incredibly easy to be a genius when TB was selecting the top players in the draft year after year...these TOP players have matured into the product the Rays put on the field now...and the fact that they're also losing free agents to other teams and getting more compensatory picks keeps players on the farm abundant.

In order for Freidman to have similar results elsewhere he'd need to lead his new team into the basement for 4-5 years in a row and stock up via the draft again.

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT!

My guess is the new GM in Boston would be run out of town on a rail or the fans would just say see ya later to paying top dollar to go to Fenway to see inferior products.

It's really easy to forget how bad the Devil Rays were just a few years ago...where do you think guys like Longoria, Upton, Crawford, Shields, Price, Moore and others came from?