2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FastEddie50. Show FastEddie50's posts

Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012?

Frozen Teddy Ballgame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

Nomar, you heard it first here

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 68fbrd. Show 68fbrd's posts

Tony Pena or Jim Rice would be good. Those guys know how to 'tough it out'. Carlton Fisk would be good also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

I want a billy bad boy as manager so that means Bobby Valentine to come in and straighten things out and WIN. The only problem he cannot be controlled by ownership

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

hey  no one has said it but the choices would be davie lopes he was a great dodger back in the day or willy randulph or someone else with strong peroooooooooonailty  to lead this team

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

davie lopes great choice

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Jose Canseco
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE] ouch....well, one things for sure, a ball off of Crawford's head won't be going over the Monster...Sealed 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THE NEW BILL-806 WITH "DAD" AS THE BENCH COACH !!!!Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]  THE NEW BILL-806 WITH "DAD" AS THE BENCH COACH !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Sorry Bill, but if the new Bill is anything like the old Bill then you flip flop too often to take over a tough managerial job.

Funny that the Francona bashers (BOSOX41 and GeoRom) are silent about who should replace him...WHY...because they can sit back on their couches now and wait for whomever the new manager is to begin second guessing them.

BTW, did anyone check out the last ALCS game - Leyland kept Coke in the game after letting the tying run get to the plate and then kept him in there to face a RH batter (Napoli) to get the final out...HE LUCKED OUT and it worked...but if Francona ever did something like that the walls of Jericho would have started coming down in Beantown.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? :   First amendment anyone????? Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Last time I looked, the First Amendment reference to Freedom of Speech precluded Congress making laws against free speech.

Is there some law on this forum you are referring to or are you like the other 75% of this country that doesn't understand the Constitution?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Sorry Bill, but if the new Bill is anything like the old Bill then you flip flop too often to take over a tough managerial job. Funny that the Francona bashers (BOSOX41 and GeoRom) are silent about who should replace him...WHY...because they can sit back on their couches now and wait for whomever the new manager is to begin second guessing them. BTW, did anyone check out the last ALCS game - Leyland kept Coke in the game after letting the tying run get to the plate and then kept him in there to face a RH batter (Napoli) to get the final out...HE LUCKED OUT and it worked...but if Francona ever did something like that the walls of Jericho would have started coming down in Beantown.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

I am very happy to see Francona gone and all the idiocy that has been revealed on his watch is more reason why I shouldnt have to explain anything - the bootlicking brigaders need to...having said that I could care less who the sox pick...as long as he makes his players play hard, get in shape, and holds them accountable for their performances...is that so hard to find?

This is idea that I am waiting for the next manager so that I can pounce on his is hilarious...I guess it might make some feel better about me being right about 'Cona and they being wrong...but good luck with that...I am excited about having ANY REAL MANAGER at the helm - he will certainly make mistakes but I doubt that I will have to relive all the moronic coaching of Tito-especially in the last 4 years....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : I am very happy to see Francona gone and all the idiocy that has been revealed on his watch is more reason why I shouldnt have to explain anything - the bootlicking brigaders need to...having said that I could care less who the sox pick...as long as he makes his players play hard, get in shape, and holds them accountable for their performances...is that so hard to find? This is idea that I am waiting for the next manager so that I can pounce on his is hilarious...I guess it might make some feel better about me being right about 'Cona and they being wrong...but good luck with that...I am excited about having ANY REAL MANAGER at the helm - he will certainly make mistakes but I doubt that I will have to relive all the moronic coaching of Tito-especially in the last 4 years....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

The exodus of Tito leaving will virtually destroy the career of BDC forum regulars Bosox1941, BaseballDr, and Georom. Their game was to critique every single lost game and somehow assess the entire blame on Tito. They enjoyed the attention that they got on the forum by playing this game. It was much like Softlaw does with Jake and Jed and now the whole team. Nobody likes a troll. To blame the manager 50% of the time is excessive but to blame him 100% of the time is obvious trolling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : I am very happy to see Francona gone and all the idiocy that has been revealed on his watch is more reason why I shouldnt have to explain anything - the bootlicking brigaders need to...having said that I could care less who the sox pick...as long as he makes his players play hard, get in shape, and holds them accountable for their performances...is that so hard to find? This is idea that I am waiting for the next manager so that I can pounce on his is hilarious...I guess it might make some feel better about me being right about 'Cona and they being wrong...but good luck with that...I am excited about having ANY REAL MANAGER at the helm - he will certainly make mistakes but I doubt that I will have to relive all the moronic coaching of Tito-especially in the last 4 years....

Georom, I don't know how old you are, or how long you have been a Sox fan, but in my lifetime I can't remember a better Sox manager than Francona.  I go back to the John McNamara days - I was 12 years old in '86, and remember even then scratching my head at his moves.  Joe Morgan was even worse.  Hobson, Kennedy, Jimmy Williams, Joe Kerrigan, Grady Little - are these guys really head & shoulders above Francona, or is it possible that you lack perspective?  I think we can find a better manager - I think Tony Pena would be a great one, but I don't know for sure.  All I know is the only Red Sox skipper I felt didn't throw away at least a dozen games a year due to bonehead moves is gone, and so is the guy who hired him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Georom has made his preferences known.

J. Fred Muggs
    Yazzer
    DeerHunter
    HurtLocker
    Bosox1941
    BaseballDr

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? : Georom, I don't know how old you are, or how long you have been a Sox fan, but in my lifetime I can't remember a better Sox manager than Francona.  I go back to the John McNamara days - I was 12 years old in '86, and remember even then scratching my head at his moves.  Joe Morgan was even worse.  Hobson, Kennedy, Jimmy Williams, Joe Kerrigan, Grady Little - are these guys really head & shoulders above Francona, or is it possible that you lack perspective?  I think we can find a better manager - I think Tony Pena would be a great one, but I don't know for sure.  All I know is the only Red Sox skipper I felt didn't throw away at least a dozen games a year due to bonehead moves is gone, and so is the guy who hired him.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

i am older than you my friend and went to my first Red Sox game to see my lefty idol KEN BRETT in the early 70s....saying Francona was the best manager we ever had is a joke...he was nowhere near the manager Dick Williams was and he reminds me of McNamara with his refusal to sub for aging (Buckner) ballplayers in deference to their experience....also, Sox managers have all been LOUSY...I liked Houk, I liked Morgan when he turned it around..I thought Kennedy was OK, Grady Little I couldnt even understand when he spoke let alone figure out his moves....Francona INHERITED a team that was one braindead move from probablty winning the championship...just like KC Jones won 2 titles after Bill Fitch/Larry Bird turned things around....

is KC Jones the best coach in basketball? i guess you can ask his last team he coached....then again you cant because they disbanded in the WNBA...trust me, our ex-manager is going nowhere unless he is hired to babysit a stacked club full of vets like he did in Boston....he wasnt a manager, he was a caretaker

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]It's not who the fans want but who John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino want as the next manager and they will require that he works well with Carmine and know the meaning of the word "Yes".   Interviews will be starting after Cherington is officially named the GM.     The bench coach of the Phillies (Pete Mackanin) will be one of the first interviews. It won't hurt the next manager's cause if he likes soccer and racing.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

If that's the case then it looks like the beat goes on with more of the same garbage we've seen the past few years.  First of all they should smash Carmine and fire Bill James.  We are not a money ball team because we have a roster of talent that should be able to win under regular circumstances.  Our reluctance to "give up outs", which is the essence of moneyball, only means that we continue to either lead the league or come in a close second in hitting into double plays.  So we give  up two outs instead of one.  The new manager of the Red Sox must not be anyone connected to the Francona regime, especially DeMarlo Hale.  We don't need a Tito clone in technicolor because he is as conservative in his approach as Tito was....And the pitching coach must be replaced.  I don't really think John Henry is too swift upstairs as far as baseball knowledge is concerned but Lucchino is supposed to be and it must be clear to him that the old ways haven't worked for the past four years.  Someone like Mackanin, Martinez or, hold on, Bobby Valentine, would be a good choice.  If we really want an up and coming manager maybe we can steal Ron Washington from the Rangers.  Don't look now but he has quickly become one of the better skippers in baseball and seems to be able to play big ball, small ball, and winning ball.  But no more Francona types.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Georom4, you have to apologize to no one in your assessment of FrancoMa.  He was absolutely pathetic this season, even worse than the previous three years and even in 2007 he almost blew the duke for us and cost us home field advantage.  Thank God we were able to hold on then.  We now are very aware that Tito wasn't playing with a full mental deck this season and how he could be any worse than he was the previous three years boggles the mind, but he was able to do it.  Over on another board, the battle over FrancoMa resulted in a full scale civil war between two camps with the Terry apologists actually fleeing en-masse when their ridiculous arguments fell in a heap on the sand it was built on. What we need is the polar opposite of FrancoMa.  Another type like him and we can write the 2012 season off right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrRoarke. Show MrRoarke's posts

Mike Lowell

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you want as manager in 2012? :  i am older than you my friend and went to my first Red Sox game to see my lefty idol KEN BRETT in the early 70s....saying Francona was the best manager we ever had is a joke...he was nowhere near the manager Dick Williams was and he reminds me of McNamara with his refusal to sub for aging (Buckner) ballplayers in deference to their experience....also, Sox managers have all been LOUSY...I liked Houk, I liked Morgan when he turned it around..I thought Kennedy was OK, Grady Little I couldnt even understand when he spoke let alone figure out his moves....Francona INHERITED a team that was one braindead move from probablty winning the championship...just like KC Jones won 2 titles after Bill Fitch/Larry Bird turned things around.... is KC Jones the best coach in basketball? i guess you can ask his last team he coached....then again you cant because they disbanded in the WNBA...trust me, our ex-manager is going nowhere unless he is hired to babysit a stacked club full of vets like he did in Boston....he wasnt a manager, he was a caretaker

Dick Williams was great in '67 but I think Yaz winning a triple crown and Lonborg coming out of nowhere to win 20+ games has a lot to do with his success that year. You could pretty much say the Williams inherited the '67 team just as you claim Francona inherited the '04 team.

Until September of this year this team was a group of guys that we all thought played well together and got along with each other. Francona did not have to police them as they were able to take care of it themselves...something changed this year that shattered that teamwork...and I certainly don't blame the manager for it, those guys must look in the mirror and say they gave it their all for the fans, the game and to the uniform name on the front of their jersey.

The problem I recollect with all the Tito bashers was they expected the team, stacked with hitters, to play small ball in EVERY close game or to change pitchers at the first sign of trouble, even if it meant the bullpen would take a week to recover...sorry I am not being a Tito apologist (as some like to call it), just someone who felt that some fans second guessing prowess was way overboard.

Believe me I witnessed a lot worse Sox managers than Francona since I started watching the team for real as a 10 year old. he was actually a breath of fresh air, although I will admit his time to leave had come, but not for the same reasons you bashers had.

georom, show us some of that managerial expertise you criticize so regularly and go out on a limb to identify a manager you believe, who is realistically available, to become the next Sox boss?

It wasn't hard at all for me to come up with Tony Pena's name...I also wouldn't mind seeing Ryne Sandberg come this way to see what he could do, although if Theo were smart he'd bring Sandberg back to his old team to be his 1st manager. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Hulk Hogan Ben Affleck Sarah Palin Matt Damon
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Actually, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are not bad ideas. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm going to say Jim Leyland as well. I've watched most of the Tigers games in the playoffs, and he's a great guy. I didn't know him before that. He knows what he wants, and doesn't let anyone change his mind.  As much as everyone wants Verlander in all the games, including Verlander, he knows and cares enough to protect his arm. He did the same for his closer. He doesn't take the easy way out, and his players all seem to respect him as well. He has *****.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'd go with Ken Macha.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going to say Jim Leyland as well. I've watched most of the Tigers games in the playoffs, and he's a great guy. I didn't know him before that. He knows what he wants, and doesn't let anyone change his mind.  As much as everyone wants Verlander in all the games, including Verlander, he knows and cares enough to protect his arm. He did the same for his closer. He doesn't take the easy way out, and his players all seem to respect him as well. He has *****.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Geesh Kim, Francona did the same exact things here and was vilified for mis-managing the team. Also, those same Tito bashers would have been screaming if Francona left Coke in the game as long as Leyland did the other night.

I guess good managing is in the eyes of the beholder.

Sections
Shortcuts