Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Personally : I'd grab LaRoche, Napoli AND Cody Ross.

If you give Ross the 8M / yr he is looking for, LaRoche and Napoli 12 M / yr a piece...That amounts to 32M/yr.

Then you have:

Ells

Pedey

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

LaRoche

Ross

That might be the best 1 - 7 in baseball.  There is no replacement for a well constructed lineup w/ pop throughout.  We'd be back!  For 32 M / yr too.

I believe in signing hitters ,developing pitchers.  Hitting is more predictable. 

With Papi in #3 spot and Napoli and WMB behind, RHPs will pitch him around and his numbers will be down.  Ortiz should be protected, not protecting.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston can get more by trading Salty and now is the time to do so.  

Many teams out there need a catcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Cracks me up a couple of years ago Salty and Teagarden couldn't crack Texas Line-Up, they wanted Bucholz for Salty, yet the Rangers trade for Napoli to be their Catcher-1st Baseman, and get rid of Salty. They have pretty good track record at Talent evaluations, for Players. Daniels is one of the Best GM's in baseball.

Salty and Teagarden are both gone. Buy low sell High, good time to trade Salty.

He sold Salty low. (Was that smart?)

He is not keeping Napoli (is there a reason the smart GM doesn't want him anymore?)

Many teams out there need a catcher. --Ice Cream

Some teams would offer more for Lava than Salty, so it's still not a sure bet Salty is the odd man out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Cracks me up a couple of years ago Salty and Teagarden couldn't crack Texas Line-Up, they wanted Bucholz for Salty, yet the Rangers trade for Napoli to be their Catcher-1st Baseman, and get rid of Salty. They have pretty good track record at Talent evaluations, for Players. Daniels is one of the Best GM's in baseball.

Salty and Teagarden are both gone. Buy low sell High, good time to trade Salty.

He sold Salty low. (Was that smart?)

He is not keeping Napoli (is there a reason the smart GM doesn't want him anymore?)

Many teams out there need a catcher. --Ice Cream

Some teams would offer more for Lava than Salty, so it's still not a sure bet Salty is the odd man out.

Its going to be interesting what Ben does with salty and Lav. Lots of possibilities.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

Lavarnway/Ross catch, Salty/Gomes or Sands play 1b

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

Personally : I'd grab LaRoche, Napoli AND Cody Ross.

If you give Ross the 8M / yr he is looking for, LaRoche and Napoli 12 M / yr a piece...That amounts to 32M/yr.

Then you have:

Ells

Pedey

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

LaRoche

Ross

That might be the best 1 - 7 in baseball.  There is no replacement for a well constructed lineup w/ pop throughout.  We'd be back!  For 32 M / yr too.

I believe in signing hitters ,developing pitchers.  Hitting is more predictable.   

Sox won't spend that and you are greatly overvaluing Middlebrook's ceiling which lies closer to Nomar had he played 3b. Unless Jobu makes sure he only gets fastballs he is no better than a 6-7 hitter on a real club cause of his k rate and low obp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to smuldy84's comment:

Lavarnway/Ross catch, Salty/Gomes or Sands play 1b

If Salty plays a meaningful amount of games at 1B, it means we have given up totally on 2013.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells

Pedey

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

LaRoche

Ross

That might be the best 1 - 7 in baseball. 

It's average at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox won't spend that and you are greatly overvaluing Middlebrook's ceiling which lies closer to Nomar had he played 3b. Unless Jobu makes sure he only gets fastballs he is no better than a 6-7 hitter on a real club cause of his k rate and low obp

.325 is not that low, and there is room for improvement for sure, but his minor league OBP was only .333, so it might take time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Ells

Pedey

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

LaRoche

Ross

It's average at best.

I disagree.  Ells can hit 20 HRs, Pedey can hit 20 HRs, Ortiz 30 , Napoli 30, Middlebrooks 25, LaRoche - 30, Ross - 20.  That kind of power goes a long way.  Also, Napoli, Pedey , Ortiz draw walks , so they wouldnt be all solo shots either.  

Remember: RBI's are more correlated to HR's than they are to batting avg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Maybe Salty can be shipped to Chicago White Sox and try to acquire Adam Dunn to play 1B? Prospect or two might have to be also included but I don't think any of our elite prospects have to be named in the trade.  I would say Salty, Workman, and Ivan De Jesus for Dunn and a player?  Dunn rebounded nicely last year even though his batting average still remains some concern but he's very productive hitter and actually a decent defensive 1B.  I know we already have Papi in the lineup and we don't need another slow runner but Ortiz and Dunn in the same lineup sure looks scary.  They will have to hit #3 & #5 in order for maximum offense.  Just a thought. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells

Pedey

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

LaRoche

Ross

It's average at best.

I disagree.  Ells can hit 20 HRs, Pedey can hit 20 HRs, Ortiz 30 , Napoli 30, Middlebrooks 25, LaRoche - 30, Ross - 20.  That kind of power goes a long way.  Also, Napoli, Pedey , Ortiz draw walks , so they wouldnt be all solo shots either.  

Remember: RBI's are more correlated to HR's than they are to batting avg.

"can" is not "will". These numbers are not even close to what will be projected. We need guys to get on base ahead of the guys with all the HRs. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Softlawes. Show Softlawes's posts

This old backup catcher isn't costing 3M, he's costing over 6M. A joke, and a bad joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes costing 3.1M a year. He was valued at over 4M. its a fact, whether you agree with it or not. It was a solid move for the Sox.

If we wnnt by the softlaw rules of value, we would be fielding a team of mauro Gomez' and prospects. the only exception? we would give away all our future talent for 3 years of overrated J Upton, not pitching because pitching doesnt win games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's better than Ramon Hernandez and slightly cheaper.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now that Ross passed his physical we might start hearing something. I think they were just waiting for that to move ahead with anything involving Salty and or Lav.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i hope your right southpaw, this offseason seems to be moving at a snails pace, was really hoping the sox would make the first big move of the offseason and get things going right away, but apparently its going to be one of those " well we could do this or we could do that" kind of offseasons where the sox look at everyone and are interested in lots of players but end up with no one. I guess my point is that coming off a 93 loss season, I was hoping the sox would make a splash early this time. not sit back and take their sweet time. lots of holes to fill on this team, the resources are their to do it, but time keeps ticking away. so far our only move has been signing back up catcher david ross, meanwhile the jays picked up josh johnson and jose reyes. Not saying i am particularly bummed about not getting either of those two (i do like johnson though), but sox need t o step it up and get some deals done. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Globe article on trying to get Stanton is interesting, but I'd hate to give up so many prospects for a 1Bman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I love to see Sox pushing hard as they can but I really don't see Marlins letting him leave after that monster trade and fans and media going crazy.  If Stanton leaves town, Loria will be "most wanted" in Florida. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I love to see Sox pushing hard as they can but I really don't see Marlins letting him leave after that monster trade and fans and media going crazy.  If Stanton leaves town, Loria will be "most wanted" in Florida. 

Marlin fans are used to massive purges.

Folks, on a side note, the Marlins are the team softy calls "the model for small market teams"... not the Rays or A's.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, he's much worse than Ramon Hernandez, and has the career backup resume to prove it. At 2 years 6M plus guaranteed, he's not slighly cheaper.

Do the math, clown.

RamHern: 2 years/$6.4M (2012-13)

D. Ross: 2 years/$624M (2013-14)

That's not even adjusting for Obama inflation dollars on the 2012 numbers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i hope your right southpaw, this offseason seems to be moving at a snails pace, was really hoping the sox would make the first big move of the offseason and get things going right away, but apparently its going to be one of those " well we could do this or we could do that" kind of offseasons where the sox look at everyone and are interested in lots of players but end up with no one. I guess my point is that coming off a 93 loss season, I was hoping the sox would make a splash early this time. not sit back and take their sweet time. lots of holes to fill on this team, the resources are their to do it, but time keeps ticking away. so far our only move has been signing back up catcher david ross, meanwhile the jays picked up josh johnson and jose reyes. Not saying i am particularly bummed about not getting either of those two (i do like johnson though), but sox need t o step it up and get some deals done. 

Im sure they will. There are 25 other teams that have not made big moves yet either, not just the Sox. If these FA players want the most $$, unless the sox outragously overpay, they will have to wait the process out. Lots of great deals have been made after the beginning of the year.

Im sure theres a couple trades to be made as well, but that too can take some time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Globe article on trying to get Stanton is interesting, but I'd hate to give up so many prospects for a 1Bman.

He plays RF Moon, not 1b

Sections
Shortcuts