Who has gone you wish we had back ???

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

Re: Who has gone you wish we had back ???

Carlton Fisk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It's tempting to want the A-Gon deal back, but consider that A-Gon's inclusion is what made the Dodgers willing to take on Crawford and Beckett in the August trade, from what I understand. So yes, it would be great to have Rizzo now, but we eventually got to shed two other bad contracts and ended up with Webster and De La Rosa. I think that one still ends up in our favor over the long term.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Homegrown?

1) Anibal Sanchez

2) Anthony Rizzo

3) Jonathan Papelbon

4) Justin Masterson

5) David Murphy

6) Brandon Moss

7) Josh Reddick

8) Jed Lowrie

9) Kevin Youkilis

10) Hanley Ramirez (not really)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Papelbon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Craig Hansen.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

No love for Anibal Sanchez and Coco Crisp?

Sanchez obviously has been good the past few years, but if we hadn't traded him we don't get Beckett and Lowell.  Obviously Beckett left on bad terms, but there is no denying that both were instrumental in our 07 run.

I did not look at the premise so much ss rewriting history as a list of former playets the Sox could still use.  Didn't you?

I mean, wwanting Beltre back means no Swihart and Bradley

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

oh man, in their prime. pedro, roger, manny, millar, meuller,dlowe,damon,youk......too many.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Hermida, with a "huge upside" according to Moonshwemp.

Hermida didn't even have a guaranteed deal that year, yet you wanted him cut.

Yes, I said he had big upside potential, but never counted on him as a starter.

BTW, in 2010, he had an .808 OPS on May 4th, and 19 RBIs in his first 76 Sox PAs.

That's a larger sample size than ones you have used to definitively judge players with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

3 who at the time i wish we never got rid of:

Manny, Pedro, & O-cab

obviously they are past their prime now but i think we would have at the very least def won 2008....

Manny, manny was on that club, so I am not sure that the team wins just because of OCab.  Maybe, I mean, we were an inning away from the WS.

Manny was traded in July at the deadline that year.  jay bay.  sigh.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy votes for VMart.

(He gave me his proxy.)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

fivekatz

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Reddick. that 150 BA really does it for me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I will throw a name out there that never gets mentioned... Jorge de la Rosa.

I agree with most of the names being mentioned. Interestingly, I wouldn't want ANY of the Dodger guys we traded back though. None.

I can't remember the last traded player or free agent lost that I got angry we let go. Not Hanley. Not Beltre. Not Masterson. Not Pedro. Not Paps even. I kind of understood every single move. Disagreed with some. But never got irate about the moves. Can't say the same about my other favorite teams the last 10 years.

And its amazing how few top prospects they have ever traded. Hanley was a huge prospect. And Casey Kelly was probably the next highest rated guy. Sanchez was rated 40th by BA when traded. Rizzo and Masterson were rated I believe 64 and 75 respectively by BA when traded. They have kept most of their highly rated guys and many have been wise to do so. Only one player in the top 60 has been traded since 2005, Casey Kelly who has not done much because of injury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Babe Ruth

beat me too it...........my second is Bagwell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Beltre, Damon.  Glad that Pedro left, he did not do much with the mets and always was injured.  We also got Buch with the pedro compensation pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Beltre, Damon.  Glad that Pedro left, he did not do much with the mets and always was injured.  We also got Buch with the pedro compensation pick.

The problem with Damon was that the Yankees realized in year 2 of his 4 year deal that he could no longer play center, but they were able to put him at DH and left at times.  Since the Sox had Manny & Ortiz in their prime at those positions, you'd have to say the Sox absolutely made the right decision to let him go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

The problem with Damon was that the Yankees realized in year 2 of his 4 year deal that he could no longer play center, but they were able to put him at DH and left at times.  Since the Sox had Manny & Ortiz in their prime at those positions, you'd have to say the Sox absolutely made the right decision to let him go.

I guess we could debate it for a while.  Damon was still clutch during those yankees years and most I think look back and say he should have stayed here.  Plus he got along well with ortiz and manny. The sox got cheap with Damon and then went out and over paid for JD Drew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I guess we could debate it for a while.  Damon was still clutch during those yankees years and most I think look back and say he should have stayed here.  Plus he got along well with ortiz and manny. The sox got cheap with Damon and then went out and over paid for JD Drew.

I liked Damon, too, but seriously, where would he have played?  There is no way you could put him in right.  I think a lot of fans "wish" the Sox would've kept him, but they don't realize he didn't have a position, and they are thinking he was "2004 Damon."

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

The Red Sox made a very lucrative offer to Damon, so I guess they would have figured out where he could have played.  Damon took the Yankees offer quickly without giving the sox time to counter offer.  I think Damon was more done with the sox then they were of him.

Later in Damon's career post Yankee, the sox made an effort to get Johnny back here, but Damon blocked the deal.

Sections
Shortcuts