Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees?

by Kirk Minihane/WEEI

First Base

Advantage: Adrian Gonzalez. The power numbers fit the profile (35 homers, 100 RBI, both third in the American League), but Mark Teixeira is having -- by his high standard -- a down season. His batting average is .251, 31 points below his career total, and his on-base percentage is .346, lowest since his rookie season and 28 points below his career number. This is the second straight season his OPS is below .900 (before 2010, he had one season below .900) and he's been nowhere near Gonzalez as a hitter this season. OK, Teixeira has 12 more homers. That's not an insignificant total. But if I'm the Sox I'll trade those 12 home runs for a 94-point edge in batting average, a 60-point lead in OBP and a 48-point advantage in slugging. Teixeira -- even in a down year -- has been one of the top two dozen hitters in the league this season, but Gonzalez has been one of the top two or three hitters in the league.

--

Second Base

Advantage: Push. I know, I know. But it's really that close. Pedroia is hitting .308, Cano .304. OBP? Pedroia .398, Cano .348 (Pedroia has an 80-28 edge in walks.) That's a huge edge, 50 points, as is Cano's 55 lead in slugging percentage (.529 - .474.) If I'm picking a second baseman for the next six weeks I guess I'd take Pedroia, but if I'm looking at the next decade I'm going with Cano. But both are terrific players and could get back in the MVP mix with a monster September.

--

Shortstop

Advantage: Derek Jeter. As Christian Lopez melts into the deep hole of obscurity (with Minka Kelly about to join him), Jeter has put together a hugely productive second half, posting a .344/.401./.444 line since the All-Star Break. As for Scutaro, if you take away his 2009 season (easily the best of his career -- his .789 OPS that season is 42 points higher than any other season) he's pretty much been exactly what you would expect from Marco Scutaro. His career line is .267/.336/.384, and his line in 235 games with the Sox is .274/.333/.383. Is he worth $6 million a year? Probably not, but he's been nowhere near a disaster (and remains the top everyday option at the position for this club right now.)

--

Third Base

Advantage: Kevin Youkilis. I know he's on the DL -- and Alex Rodriguez is day-to-day with a left thumb injury -- but Youkilis is expected to back in the next week so I decided to leave him in. And I give Youkilis a slight edge with a 19-point edge in OBP and 22-point lead in OPS. Think A-Rod (who hasn't played 140 games since 2007 and his now 35 years old) will be worth the $20 million he's due in 2017?

--

Catcher

--

Left Field

Advantage: Brett Gardner. We all figured this wasn't going to be a close battle heading into the season, and we were all exactly right and exactly wrong at the same time. One of Carl Crawford's paychecks is more than Gardner's 2011 salary ($529,000) but that is Crawford's only advantage over Gardner this season. Gardner has a higher batting average, a 92-point lead in OBP, 19 more stolen bases and his OPS is 52 points clear of Crawford's. 

--

Center Field

Advantage: Curtis Granderson. No different than second base, really, two of the best in the league this season. Take your pick. For the next half-decade it's Ellsbury, easy. But Granderson has had a better season. No shame in that -- Ellsbury has been superb. But push comes to shove I'll take Granderson and his 77-point edge in OPS, 32 more runs scored, 15 more home runs and 25-RBI lead. Granderson is on pace for 47 homers, 131 RBI and 150 runs and is still my pick for MVP.

--

Right Field

Advantage: Nick Swisher. This is what the journey to the middle looks like: -- The last time the Red Sox and Yankees played (August 7) Josh Reddick's season line was .338/.385/.554. Now? .283/.332/.471. You read it here first: J.D. Drew will be the Game 1 starter in right field.

--

Designated Hitter

Advantage: David Ortiz. I thought Ortiz would have a better season than Posada (who I still think is a very real Hall of Fame candidate) but never expected this: A 263-point edge in OPS and 70-point difference in batting average? Ortiz has 27 home runs this season, Posada has 26 extra-base hits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Re: Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees?

I agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure how a position by position breakdown quanitfies who has the better lineup? the above is more of who may or may not have the better overall team and when doing that type of breakdown defense has to also be factored into to the equasion and where each position bats in thier teams respective lineups...

The breakdown above is by position here's how they compare by position in the lienup based on OPS ranking in the AL...here's the link

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/117/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true

Overall the Sox have the edge in 5 of the 9 slots...the #8 slot is where the Yanks have the greatest advantage in any one particular "matchup" but end of the day they're pretty much about even as the season stats for runs scored and team OPS overall show...

Sox OPS  Rank Yanks OPS RankAdvtge
    #1 854 1st  #1 704 9thSox
    #2 832 2nd  #2 919 1stYanks
    #3 929 2nd  #3 899 3rdSox
    #4 891 2nd  #4 808 5thSox
    #5 943 1st  #5 895 2ndSox
    #6 680 9th  #6 722 7thYanks
    #7 756 4th  #7 775 2ndYanks
    #8 607 12th  #8 828 1stYanks 
    #9 745 1st  #9 660 6thSox

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]Not sure how a position by position breakdown quanitfies who has the better lineup? the above is more of who may or may not have the better overall team and when doing that type of breakdown defense has to also be factored into to the equasion and where each position bats in thier teams respective lineups... The breakdown above is by position here's how they compare by position in the lienup based on OPS ranking in the AL...here's the link http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/117/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true Overall the Sox have the edge in 5 of the 9 slots...the #8 slot is where the Yanks have the greatest advantage in any one particular "matchup" but end of the day they're pretty much about even as the season stats for runs scored and team OPS overall show... Sox  OPS  Rank  Yanks  OPS  Rank Advtge #1  854  1st   #1  704  9th Sox #2  832  2nd   #2  919  1st Yanks #3  929  2nd   #3  899  3rd Sox #4  891  2nd   #4  808  5th Sox #5  943  1st   #5  895  2nd Sox #6  680  9th   #6  722  7th Yanks #7  756  4th   #7  775  2nd Yanks #8  607  12th   #8  828  1st Yanks   #9  745  1st   #9  660  6th Sox
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

The Sox, if we keep dominating the Yankee lineup in head to head matchups.   Numbers mean a lot more on the field when it counts most.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]by Kirk Minihane/WEEI First Base Advantage: Adrian Gonzalez . The power numbers fit the profile (35 homers, 100 RBI, both third in the American League ), but Mark Teixeira is having -- by his high standard -- a down season. His batting average is .251, 31 points below his career total, and his on-base percentage is .346, lowest since his rookie season and 28 points below his career number. This is the second straight season his OPS is below .900 (before 2010, he had one season below .900) and he's been nowhere near Gonzalez as a hitter this season. OK, Teixeira has 12 more homers. That's not an insignificant total. But if I'm the Sox I'll trade those 12 home runs for a 94-point edge in batting average, a 60-point lead in OBP and a 48-point advantage in slugging. Teixeira -- even in a down year -- has been one of the top two dozen hitters in the league this season, but Gonzalez has been one of the top two or three hitters in the league. -- Second Base Advantage: Push. I know, I know. But it's really that close. Pedroia is hitting .308, Cano .304. OBP? Pedroia .398, Cano .348 (Pedroia has an 80-28 edge in walks.) That's a huge edge, 50 points, as is Cano's 55 lead in slugging percentage (.529 - .474.) If I'm picking a second baseman for the next six weeks I guess I'd take Pedroia, but if I'm looking at the next decade I'm going with Cano. But both are terrific players and could get back in the MVP mix with a monster September. -- Shortstop Advantage: Derek Jeter . As Christian Lopez melts into the deep hole of obscurity (with Minka Kelly about to join him), Jeter has put together a hugely productive second half, posting a .344/.401./.444 line since the All-Star Break. As for Scutaro, if you take away his 2009 season (easily the best of his career -- his .789 OPS that season is 42 points higher than any other season) he's pretty much been exactly what you would expect from Marco Scutaro . His career line is .267/.336/.384, and his line in 235 games with the Sox is .274/.333/.383. Is he worth $6 million a year? Probably not, but he's been nowhere near a disaster (and remains the top everyday option at the position for this club right now.) -- Third Base Advantage: Kevin Youkilis . I know he's on the DL -- and Alex Rodriguez is day-to-day with a left thumb injury -- but Youkilis is expected to back in the next week so I decided to leave him in. And I give Youkilis a slight edge with a 19-point edge in OBP and 22-point lead in OPS. Think A-Rod (who hasn't played 140 games since 2007 and his now 35 years old) will be worth the $20 million he's due in 2017? -- Catcher Re Advantage: Jarrod Saltalamacchia. After a fast start (six homers, 19 RBI in April) Russell Martin was absolutely brutal in May, June and July (hit .201 in the three months with four homers) but has bounced back (.968 OPS in August.) The numbers are close, but I'll take Saltalamacchia's 50-point edge in slugging combined with The Varitek Factor. -- Left Field Advantage: Brett Gardner. We all figured this wasn't going to be a close battle heading into the season, and we were all exactly right and exactly wrong at the same time. One of Carl Crawford's paychecks is more than Gardner's 2011 salary ($529,000) but that is Crawford's only advantage over Gardner this season. Gardner has a higher batting average, a 92-point lead in OBP, 19 more stolen bases and his OPS is 52 points clear of Crawford's.  -- Center Field Advantage: Curtis Granderson . No different than second base, really, two of the best in the league this season. Take your pick. For the next half-decade it's Ellsbury, easy. But Granderson has had a better season. No shame in that -- Ellsbury has been superb. But push comes to shove I'll take Granderson and his 77-point edge in OPS, 32 more runs scored, 15 more home runs and 25-RBI lead. Granderson is on pace for 47 homers, 131 RBI and 150 runs and is still my pick for MVP. -- Right Field Advantage: Nick Swisher . This is what the journey to the middle looks like: -- The last time the Red Sox and Yankees played (August 7) Josh Reddick's season line was .338/.385/.554. Now? .283/.332/.471. You read it here first: J.D. Drew will be the Game 1 starter in right field. -- Designated Hitter Advantage: David Ortiz . I thought Ortiz would have a better season than Posada (who I still think is a very real Hall of Fame candidate) but never expected this: A 263-point edge in OPS and 70-point difference in batting average? Ortiz has 27 home runs this season, Posada has 26 extra-base hits.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Kind of late for that? Why bring that up and what does that mean?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Stupid way to analyze - position by position

Look at position in the ORDER by Position in the order

or how the offense works together as a whole

Sox have a better offense

They have a better defense

Pitching is what is even

But Sox pitching is trending much better than yankees

Also, Buck may be able to be a late season lift

Plus, bottom line is we are 10-2 and they are 2-10

It's really pretty obvious

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from <>*TheBabe<>*. Show <>*TheBabe<>*'s posts

Yet for all of agon's pretty numbers he only has 3 more RBI's and 10 more runs scored than Tex. Shows you how empty much of his hits have been.

And I don't see how 2nd base is a push when Cano has 1 more run scored and 24 more RBI's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

sox lead the league in runs scored, therefore they have the better offense.  Case closed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

In Response to Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]by Kirk Minihane/WEEI First Base Advantage: Adrian Gonzalez . The power numbers fit the profile (35 homers, 100 RBI, both third in the American League ), but Mark Teixeira is having -- by his high standard -- a down season. His batting average is .251, 31 points below his career total, and his on-base percentage is .346, lowest since his rookie season and 28 points below his career number. This is the second straight season his OPS is below .900 (before 2010, he had one season below .900) and he's been nowhere near Gonzalez as a hitter this season. OK, Teixeira has 12 more homers. That's not an insignificant total. But if I'm the Sox I'll trade those 12 home runs for a 94-point edge in batting average, a 60-point lead in OBP and a 48-point advantage in slugging. Teixeira -- even in a down year -- has been one of the top two dozen hitters in the league this season, but Gonzalez has been one of the top two or three hitters in the league. -- Second Base Advantage: Push. I know, I know. But it's really that close. Pedroia is hitting .308, Cano .304. OBP? Pedroia .398, Cano .348 (Pedroia has an 80-28 edge in walks.) That's a huge edge, 50 points, as is Cano's 55 lead in slugging percentage (.529 - .474.) If I'm picking a second baseman for the next six weeks I guess I'd take Pedroia, but if I'm looking at the next decade I'm going with Cano. But both are terrific players and could get back in the MVP mix with a monster September. -- Shortstop Advantage: Derek Jeter . As Christian Lopez melts into the deep hole of obscurity (with Minka Kelly about to join him), Jeter has put together a hugely productive second half, posting a .344/.401./.444 line since the All-Star Break. As for Scutaro, if you take away his 2009 season (easily the best of his career -- his .789 OPS that season is 42 points higher than any other season) he's pretty much been exactly what you would expect from Marco Scutaro . His career line is .267/.336/.384, and his line in 235 games with the Sox is .274/.333/.383. Is he worth $6 million a year? Probably not, but he's been nowhere near a disaster (and remains the top everyday option at the position for this club right now.) -- Third Base Advantage: Kevin Youkilis . I know he's on the DL -- and Alex Rodriguez is day-to-day with a left thumb injury -- but Youkilis is expected to back in the next week so I decided to leave him in. And I give Youkilis a slight edge with a 19-point edge in OBP and 22-point lead in OPS. Think A-Rod (who hasn't played 140 games since 2007 and his now 35 years old) will be worth the $20 million he's due in 2017? -- Catcher Re Advantage: Jarrod Saltalamacchia. After a fast start (six homers, 19 RBI in April) Russell Martin was absolutely brutal in May, June and July (hit .201 in the three months with four homers) but has bounced back (.968 OPS in August.) The numbers are close, but I'll take Saltalamacchia's 50-point edge in slugging combined with The Varitek Factor. -- Left Field Advantage: Brett Gardner. We all figured this wasn't going to be a close battle heading into the season, and we were all exactly right and exactly wrong at the same time. One of Carl Crawford's paychecks is more than Gardner's 2011 salary ($529,000) but that is Crawford's only advantage over Gardner this season. Gardner has a higher batting average, a 92-point lead in OBP, 19 more stolen bases and his OPS is 52 points clear of Crawford's.  -- Center Field Advantage: Curtis Granderson . No different than second base, really, two of the best in the league this season. Take your pick. For the next half-decade it's Ellsbury, easy. But Granderson has had a better season. No shame in that -- Ellsbury has been superb. But push comes to shove I'll take Granderson and his 77-point edge in OPS, 32 more runs scored, 15 more home runs and 25-RBI lead. Granderson is on pace for 47 homers, 131 RBI and 150 runs and is still my pick for MVP. -- Right Field Advantage: Nick Swisher . This is what the journey to the middle looks like: -- The last time the Red Sox and Yankees played (August 7) Josh Reddick's season line was .338/.385/.554. Now? .283/.332/.471. You read it here first: J.D. Drew will be the Game 1 starter in right field. -- Designated Hitter Advantage: David Ortiz . I thought Ortiz would have a better season than Posada (who I still think is a very real Hall of Fame candidate) but never expected this: A 263-point edge in OPS and 70-point difference in batting average? Ortiz has 27 home runs this season, Posada has 26 extra-base hits.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

You are confused bt the regular season When the playoffs start and the mediocore pitching ends so dows a weak yankee line up They need arod badly Red Sox lineup is much more balenced and deeper.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]sox lead the league in runs scored, therefore they have the better offense.  Case closed.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

In what universe?

Team AVG  R  H  HR  2B  3B  RBI  SB  OBP  SLG   ERA  H  BB  K  SV  WHIP   
     New York Yankees .269  727  1218  188  217  31  709  125  .348  .455   3.65  1149  393  984  36  1.29   
     Boston Red Sox .280  720  1316  167  281  29  693  93  .350  .459   3.87  1105  419  976  33  1.27   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Boone Logan post game:

“I’ve been pitching well lately, which is what you need coming in facing the second-best lineup in the league. With all the lefties, there’s a pretty good chance I’m going to be getting in a couple of games.”

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Very close but give a slight edge to the sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]I agree.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

hey softy,

you're just happy that granderson was picked over ells.
    you're a shallow pan.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ***The*Babe***. Show ***The*Babe***'s posts

[QUOTE]Stupid way to analyze - position by position Look at position in the ORDER by Position in the order or how the offense works together as a whole Sox have a better offense They have a better defense Pitching is what is even But Sox pitching is trending much better than yankees Also, Buck may be able to be a late season lift Plus, bottom line is we are 10-2 and they are 2-10 It's really pretty obvious

Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

No, the Yanks have the better offense and the better pitching. Do you ever take off your blinders?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]sox lead the league in runs scored, therefore they have the better offense.  Case closed.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Don't the Yanks lead the league in runs scored by 7 and having played 1 fewer game?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees? : Don't the Yanks lead the league in runs scored by 7 and having played 1 fewer game?
    Posted by mikeyintheboogiedown[/QUOTE]

that is correct sir.
    sometimes i'm embarrassed for my SOX brethren.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Just a few reminders:

• Please don't use curse words or implied curse words.

• Please don't call each other names or use derogatory or mean-spirited names for the players. There are a lot of good fans on this blog and that sort of thing drags down the level of discussion. You should be able to make a point without being crude.

• Fans from other teams, particularly the Yankees, will meander over here and some could try and start trouble. Best to just ignore these trolls and they will go away. If somebody is particularly bothersome, let us know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

Is there a hall-monitor in here?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

can you dig it is right on target as usual, sox fans are unbelievable.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

bobbysu, good point, the sox defense is much better than the yankees

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shiny-Penny. Show Shiny-Penny's posts

[QUOTE]Sox are 4th in defense, Yanks 13th. Sox have been in top 4 all season, in MLB.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Where do they stand in regard to runs allowed?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Sox are 4th in defense, Yanks 13th. Sox have been in top 4 all season, in MLB.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE] team D is important, but both teams have  excellent defenders, slick plays by Pedroia, Cano and Gardner last night...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who has the better lineup? Sox or Yankees? : team D is important, but both teams have  excellent defenders, slick plays by Pedroia, Cano and Gardner last night...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Gardners play on Scutaro probalby was the difference in the game...if that ball get's over his head it's game on!

Sections
Shortcuts