Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

I for one believe in this team and feel they will make it back to the World Series. But who on May 7th wants to throw in the towel and say the season is over with this team and this front office.?
    But remember this. Let history be your guide. Memories fade but let's turn back to the 2004 season. And take a look at Wikipedia:

"But high expectations accompanied the acquisitions of Foulke and Schilling to bolster what was already a very good team. And while the team started well (15–6 in April), they were soon mired in a sort of malaise, playing well enough to stay above .500, but not in serious playoff contention. May opened with five straight losses, and the team went 55–52 in May–July. Some of the underperforming was because of the injuries to Nixon and Garciaparra (both of which lingered beyond expectations), Bill Mueller (who needed minor surgery during the season), and reliever Scott Williamson (who was pitching extremely well before his injury). Even the staff was not exempt, with first base coach Lynn Jones nearly losing an eye in an accident at home with a screwdriver. Some of the problem was the team’s porous defense, although many of the weakest defenders were players who’d been very good in that area in the past, such as Nomar. But injuries and defense alone didn’t account for how the team was playing, and the media began to search for targets, focusing largely on sulking shortstop Garciaparra and on manager Francona, who refused to publicly criticize his players.

By July, much of the Boston media had given up on the team, which fell as far as 10 1/2 games behind the Yankees, and at one point was in danger of falling behind the surging Devil Rays and the Orioles in the division as well. There were calls for Francona’s ouster."
    How did the 2004 season end?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrGL27Rings.. Show FrGL27Rings.'s posts

Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

me

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

Too early to state that, but as of this post on the morning of May 7, one source placed the chances at 12 percent:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Which of you bashers will have the courage to be here in October?

That is the more relevant question here today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

moon  stop the bootlicking -it doesnt suit you...this team is lifeless and there is no way there are making the playoffs without major managerial change

my 99 win prediction is like a cruel joke on me at this point

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

A better question would be could they beat the jays out and not finish last? Unless they get a manager who can get this team playing, this is not a far fetched statement.

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?:
    moon  stop the bootlicking -it doesnt suit you...this team is lifeless and there is no way there are making the playoffs without major managerial change my 99 win prediction is like a cruel joke on me at this point
    Posted by georom4

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This team will be at least 30-26 at the end of May.

This team will win 95 games.

This team will make the playoffs.

Francona still will be manager.

Simple as that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm here to publicly state that I believe the Red Sox will be in the postseason.And as Roy said,Francona will still be the manager.
      I'd also like to add one of my predictions.No matter how far this team goes or how well it does,there's still going to be posters complaining about it.It's the only thing that makes them happy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

To state publicly in the affirmative that on May 7th a MLB team, especially one with the talent of the Red Sox has no chance of making the playoffs has nothing to do with courage and everything to do with showing a lack of baseball knowledge, ignorance and stupidity!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Give Geo credit. He hung in there almost 6 weeks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My opinion is that we make the playoffs.  No doubt in my mind at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It's not a sign of "courage" to bail on your team when the season has barely begun...it's the sign of a weak-hearted fair-weather fan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I know I'll get shouted down by some but who cares ... IT'S STILL EARLY! For proof, all you have to do is look at the standings: The Red Sox are playing .471 ball and they're only four games out of first place.

Not that they can afford to keep plahying .471 ball much longer ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

The sox will make the playoffs.
    Keep the faith!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

i think my name says it all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

I have the courage to say this is not a playoff team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?:
    I know I'll get shouted down by some but who cares ... IT'S STILL EARLY! For proof, all you have to do is look at the standings: The Red Sox are playing .471 ball and they're only four games out of first place. Not that they can afford to keep plahying .471 ball much longer ...
    Posted by LloydDobler

If another AL East team were running away with the division, I'd feel differently. But, I see the Sox getting in the playoffs with a 92-94 win season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stengel. Show Stengel's posts

It's not a sign of "courage" to bail on your team when the season has barely begun...it's the sign of a weak-hearted fair-weather fan.
    Posted by Flapjack07

Isn't that what Sawx fans are all about?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

They are 4 games off the pace in early May. One would have to be ignorant to declare it over at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

They are 4 games off the pace in early May. One would have to be ignorant to declare it over at this point.
    Posted by snakeoil123

You're new here, aren't you.Wink

Some "fans" wrote them off in Spring Training.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=55f7c6ca20879bf0cef4c47785eb5a14&plckUserId=55f7c6ca20879bf0cef4c47785eb5a14">
    First: 5/7/2011
    Last: 5/9/2011
    Posted by Flapjack07

Isn't that what Sawx fans are all about?

Not the real ones

Not the true fans....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I have courage, but it is often liquid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I have courage, but it is often liquid.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Some others have courage too,but only behind their keyboard. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There's a lot of parity in the AL right now.  It's not just the east that's sporting about a 50-50 record.  Except for Cleveland, the Central is pretty similar in terms of its collective record right now, and the west isn't exactly lighting it up.  As bad as it's been, the Sox are 4 out of the east.  I relish the thought of this team playing NY...Gonzalez is going to go nuts.  Factor in Pedroia and Crawford coming out of their slumps, and this Sox team is going places.  Boston is going to win the East, not the WC.  Refreshing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think it's the wrong issue for early May.  Way too early to stand up and be counted either way.

More to the point--to me, anyway--is how they will succeed or fail. 

So far, it's been a pretty bumpy flight.  Pitching down and up and down and up.  Hitting the same thing.  After winning 5 of 6 on the West coast, including 4 of 4 against a very hot (at the time, 8-2 in their last ten) Angels team, the Sox lost 2 of 3 at Baltimore and haven't done that well on this homestand, which started with losing 2 of 3 to Seattle.

I think the Sox get into the playoffs because I think the hitting and pitching will steadily get better. 

The Sox already have five (Youk, Lowrie, A-Gon, Ortiz and Ellsbury) with OPS's above .800, and Drew, Crawford, and Pedroia are sure to join them.  That's a terrific nucleus with only one real gap, catcher. 

The additions--Aceves, Hill, and Albers--to the bullpen are looking pretty darn good when you throw Bard and Pap into the mix.

And the starting five could be decent to very good.  Beckett, Buchholz, and Lester already look pretty darn good.  I have more confidence in Matsuzaka than Lackey, but even lackey could be adequate.   

Sections
Shortcuts