Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

If you look at the standings across MLB there are a few teams that are dominating.  The AL East is wide open.  Despite how poorly the sox have played in spurts, they're 4 games out and it's only May. 

I have questions about some slots in the bullpen, the anemic showing by some of the Sox offensively, the catching and inconsistent starting pitching.  But it's not too late to turn it around and it's too early to proclaim any of those items as the things that did the team in. 

Don't write their epitaph just yet...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?:
    Too early to state that, but as of this post on the morning of May 7, one source placed the chances at 12 percent: http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011
    Posted by hill55

...and the Indians are at 74%.

Believe that and I have a bridge to sell you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

Actually, they are 5 back in the loss column.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?:
    This team will be at least 30-26 at the end of May.

This team will win 95 games.

This team will make the playoffs.

Francona still will be manager.

Simple as that.
    Posted by royf19

Wow.  It's not quite as simple as that.  I love all the optimism here and I wish I could agree with all of it, but roy, did you "run the numbers" on your prediction?

How about a little reality to go along with this?

This team is now 16-18.  For this team to win 95 games they've got to go 79-31 from here on in.  That's a .720 pace.  Now, I like this team and I believe they're very talented.... but.... .720??

Given the start they've had, a target of 90 games might get that wild card spot.  Nobody is exactly tearing the league up in search of the WC now.  The Sox are 2 games back of KC (and do you really think THAT will last??) and 1 game back of Oakland & Texas.  With 110 games to go a game or two is virtually a dead heat. 

To get to that 90 win plateau they need to go 74-36, .672, and that's very attainable.  I believe if they can win no less than 90 games they'll be in solid contention for the WC and will be playing well enough to be a WS contender.  .672 over 5 months makes a team a contender.

I agree with the rest of your predictions: The team will make the playoffs and Francona will still be the manager.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs? : is this your favorite thing to say ever?

Posted by SpacemanEephus

Almost as much as sawx fans who claim the team made back the dice k posting $ on advertising and merchandise sales.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kat-b2. Show Kat-b2's posts

The chances of them getting in the playoffs and winning it all go up if they get a new manager this yr who can manage his bullpen, hit& run, and stop being the best friend to his players.... If he goes he can take the 3rd base excuse for a coach with him....    k

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

hey mrmojobreath,

the keyboard is mightier than the sword.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

"boston is going to win the east."-----soups

i've heard of 'soup to nuts,' but this is more like 'soup is nuts.'

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I think they will improve and will make a run for it in the second half of the season.  They simply have too much talent to play like this the whole season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosoxl94l. Show Bosoxl94l's posts

Not with Francoma.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Not with Francoma.
    Posted by Bosoxl94l

Obviously not...they've only gone to the playoffs under "Francoma" five times in seven years. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

bosox

Iv'e been a francona supporter in the past but I'm beginning to question some of his decisions.  Maybe it's time to get some new blood in there to rattle some chains.

I don't think the FO will make any changes, at least not this year.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Not with Francoma."

If they do, will you agree to leave this forever with your toxic anti-Francona trolling forever? 

Seems fair to me. 

@67redsox don't feed the trolls. Bosox is an anti-Francona troll, one of several who treat Francona like a last place manager who has never won anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

BTS

I respond to whom I please.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

boy I'll tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,sometimes I think that alot of these posters are not watching the same red sox game that I am. I'm growing weary of listening to so called red sox fans whine like children about tito when I'm seeing a team on the brink of going on one helluva an explosive tear. our starters are starting to jell and the bullpen is improving daily. bard and paps have been lights out. and as I have said before, the sticks are really getting it together. for cripes sake, papi is hitting .292 and it's early may. gonzo's swing is getting better and better each and every AB. I believe our D is still #1 in the league.

courage??????? who of my fellow sox fans will stand up and state for the record that our boston redsox have just begun to start ripping the snott outta the ball and go on a string of W's???????

damn it! GO SOX!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

boy I'll tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,sometimes I think that alot of these posters are not watching the same red sox game that I am. I'm growing weary of listening to so called red sox fans whine like children about tito when I'm seeing a team on the brink of going on one helluva explosive tear. our starters are starting to jell and the bullpen is improving daily. bard and paps have been lights out. and as I have said before, the sticks are really getting it together. for cripes sake, papi is hitting .292 and it's early may. gonzo's swing is getting better and better each and every AB. I believe our D is still #1 in the league. courage??????? who of my fellow sox fans will stand up and state for the record that our boston redsox have just begun to start ripping the snott outta the ball and go on a string of W's??????? damn it! GO SOX!

Posted by Hammah29r2

I'm pretty sure you said the same thing after their last winning streak. Yet they are still below .500   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

boy I'll tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,sometimes I think that alot of these posters are not watching the same red sox game that I am. I'm growing weary of listening to so called red sox fans whine like children about tito when I'm seeing a team on the brink of going on one helluva explosive tear. our starters are starting to jell and the bullpen is improving daily. bard and paps have been lights out. and as I have said before, the sticks are really getting it together. for cripes sake, papi is hitting .292 and it's early may. gonzo's swing is getting better and better each and every AB. I believe our D is still #1 in the league. courage??????? who of my fellow sox fans will stand up and state for the record that our boston redsox have just begun to start ripping the snott outta the ball and go on a string of W's??????? damn it! GO SOX!
    Posted by Hammah29r2

I love you Hammah.  I do.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Posted by Hammah29r2

I applaud your optimistic outlook. I am a bit more skeptical.
    Pedroia is stinking it up right now, Youk is injury prone, the catching situation is what it is, and Drew is, well.....Drew.
    Gonzalez, Lowrie and Ells are carrying this team offensively. Papi's average is up there but the power is not. Crawford still looks like he's scared to death. Perhaps soon he'll start to feel comfortable.
    The SP is much improved but the middle of the BP is still very questionable and I really think someone needs to emerge as the on-field leader to motivate this team.
    On a positive note, no one is running away with the AL East so we are in decent shape, just need to start winning series.
    The upcoming road trip is crucial IMHO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 5/9/2011
    Which of you bashers will have the courage to be here in October?

That is the more relevant question here today.

Sox4ever

HERE, HERE, MOON!!!  A more proper weight could not hae been set in this matter!!!

I have wondered myself how the bashers could honestly face themselves ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well space, the feeling is quite mutual!!!EmbarassedWinkSmile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

moonslav59 Posts: 15686 First: 9/27/2005 Last: 5/9/2011 Which of you bashers will have the courage to be here in October? That is the more relevant question here today. Sox4ever   HERE, HERE, MOON!!!  A more proper weight could not hae been set in this matter!!!    I have wondered myself how the bashers could honestly face themselves ...  

Posted by SinceYaz

They are not bashers but realists.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hammah, Spaceman, 

Appreciate your inner strength, your appropriate spirit, your on target attitude and ....

the fact that I'll get to enjoy the season with youse guys!

It must be terrible living in "reality" that is always pointing out the negative and never accepting or accentuating the positive.

It gives me pause to wonder why - no, where - they find pleasure in being a Sox fan.

Keep it up fellers ... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I would still say 90 to 92 wins. I don't know enough about TB or the other WC challengers to have an opinion if that is enough wins for the PO.

Cons

SP has one sure thing.
    BP is probably about average.
    The catchers will do well to be average.
    Facing LHP will remain a big problem.
    Best SP for each AL East team is LH.

Possible Game Changers

Beckett maintains 2007 form.
    Back end of BP dominate.
    Lackey finds a new pitch/ alters mechanics (Pavano 2010).
    DiceK has at least one good run in him.
    Salty is at least only slightly below average.
    Wake eats Iglesias.

I hope I am wrong but if I had to put my money on it. 91 wins.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs? : I applaud your optimistic outlook. I am a bit more skeptical. Pedroia is stinking it up right now, Youk is injury prone, the catching situation is what it is, and Drew is, well.....Drew. Gonzalez, Lowrie and Ells are carrying this team offensively. Papi's average is up there but the power is not. Crawford still looks like he's scared to death. Perhaps soon he'll start to feel comfortable. The SP is much improved but the middle of the BP is still very questionable and I really think someone needs to emerge as the on-field leader to motivate this team. On a positive note, no one is running away with the AL East so we are in decent shape, just need to start winning series. The upcoming road trip is crucial IMHO.
    Posted by Alibiike

Alibi, this post reflects neither skepticism nor optimism.  basically you are just saying how things are, right now, at this point in time.  But, you are a very smart person and surely you know that stasis is fleeting in baseball.  Are your projections just that these performances that you cite will just remain exactly how they are?  In my projections, Dustin does not continue to be an ofer at the plate.  I also expect Ells to slump.  i expect Youk to go on a tear (not sure where you get the injury-prone thing other than a freak issue like last year).  And, yes, of course, Drew will be Drew.  Not sure when the last time you watched Carl Crawford play, but he looks anything but scared right now.  It seems like you are holding on to the negatives of the slow start without seeing how things can change, or are in the process of changing.

Sections
Shortcuts