Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?:
    Hammah, Spaceman,    Appreciate your inner strength, your appropriate spirit, your on target attitude and ....     the fact that I'll get to enjoy the season with youse guys!    It must be terrible living in "reality" that is always pointing out the negative and never accepting or accentuating the positive.   It gives me pause to wonder why - no, where - they find pleasure in being a Sox fan.   Keep it up fellers ... 
    Posted by SinceYaz

right on Since.  I don't see how you can like baseball without being cool with massive failure.  The game is built on it.  But thats what makes the story so great huh?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete2fan. Show jete2fan's posts

Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs?:
    boy I'll tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,sometimes I think that alot of these posters are not watching the same red sox game that I am. I'm growing weary of listening to so called red sox fans whine like children about tito when I'm seeing a team on the brink of going on one helluva an explosive tear. our starters are starting to jell and the bullpen is improving daily. bard and paps have been lights out. and as I have said before, the sticks are really getting it together. for cripes sake, papi is hitting .292 and it's early may. gonzo's swing is getting better and better each and every AB. I believe our D is still #1 in the league. courage??????? who of my fellow sox fans will stand up and state for the record that our boston redsox have just begun to start ripping the snott outta the ball and go on a string of W's??????? damn it! GO SOX!
    Posted by Hammah29r2

big dawg, check your email.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs? :  right on Since.  I don't see how you can like baseball without being cool with massive failure.  The game is built on it.  But thats what makes the story so great huh?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

The game of baseball is a game made up mostly of failure..When making contact for a hit 30% of the time is considered great, I think some should have more patience and stop worrying. These players' track records speak for themselves. I believe they will make the playoffs. And if Im wrong, well then Im wrong...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who has the courage to state publicly that this team will not make it to the playoffs? : The game of baseball is a game made up mostly of failure..When making contact for a hit 30% of the time is considered great, I think some should have more patience and stop worrying. These players' track records speak for themselves. I believe they will make the playoffs. And if Im wrong, well then Im wrong...
    Posted by southpaw777

yeah man.  Greatest hitter i ever saw with my own two eyes, Manny Ramirez, in his prime, would dissappear for a month at a time in any season.  Strike outs and roll-over grounders for weeks.  And he was the best.  Its very easy in a sport like baseball to rip a player apart like so many here love to do.  Even the great ones struggle mightily.  I have no idea if this club will make the playoffs.  Tough division.  Tough start.  Tough to know what to make of this team.  But that, to me, is the beauty of it.  the unknown.  Some people think they know something.  But they don't know jack.  If they did know, it wouldn't be baseball.  Cuz thats the #1 rule: ya just never know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im still saying they make the plaoffs because thats what my prediction was...what kind of prediction is it if you can change it after things get started?

i believe that j fred muggs guy could lead us to at least a wild card so why would i change now...it would be nice however if we played like we give a darn....imo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosoxl94l. Show Bosoxl94l's posts

You're the man George. You tell it like it is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

This team is entertaining but they showed a very disturbing tendency in spring training by losing so many games in a row. They developed a "culture of losing" that continues to this day and will not likely change. Last years team that finished the season was a better team, they played hungry. Had Francona not mismanged so many games last year that team would have made the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosoxl94l. Show Bosoxl94l's posts

This team is entertaining but they showed a very disturbing tendency in spring training by losing so many games in a row. They developed a "culture of losing" that continues to this day and will not likely change. Last years team that finished the season was a better team, they played hungry. Had Francona not mismanged so many games last year that team would have made the playoffs.
    Posted by jimdaytona

Finally a breath a fresh air as it standing on the shore of Pemaquid Point , Maine on a summer day with a wind from the south. Your opinion is a tonic to this forum that has been taken over by Theo and Coma apologists. Always good to hear from you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

I have the courage to say that this team will make the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Well stated but common sense, logic and facts will get you nowhere here!!

Posted by jimdaytona

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I think they will also, just not this year with the leadership they now have. That could change if francona is released or retires.

I have the courage to say that this team will make the playoffs.
    Posted by majorleague

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Has anyone else done the math I just did on the Sox? Here's what I mean. Since starting 2-10, the Red Sox have gone 14-8, that's a .636 w%. If they play at that rate for the rest of the season, they will win 97.45 games--we'll be conservative and say 97. As much as we've griped about the inconsistency (myself leading the charge),this "inconsistent" baseball will win the East if they can keep stumbling along in it. Someone check my math to make sure it's right! I simply projected that winning % over the remaining games (128) and added the 81 games harvested from that to the 16 they've already won. I'm just sayin'.....I was very suprised to arrive at that figure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Another question might be if they don't will you and that stupid flo pic leave? 

" Not with Francoma." If they do, will you agree to leave this forever with your toxic anti-Francona trolling forever?  Seems fair to me.  @ 67redsox  don't feed the trolls. Bosox is an anti-Francona troll, one of several who treat Francona like a last place manager who has never won anything.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One source currently gives the Red Sox have a 15.8 percent chance of advancing to the postseason this year:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011

On the same date two years ago, that source gave the New York Yankees the identical 15.8 percent chance of advancing to the postseason:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp

Use pulldown menus on the left.

The 2009 Yankees went on to win the World Series after posting 103 wins in the regular season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

One source currently gives the Red Sox have a 15.8 percent chance of advancing to the postseason this year: http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011 On the same date two years ago, that source gave the New York Yankees the identical 15.8 percent chance of advancing to the postseason: http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp Use pulldown menus on the left. The 2009 Yankees went on to win the World Series after posting 103 wins in the regular season.
    Posted by hill55

I give this source a 15.8 percent chance of having any validity. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrioiesPwnSox. Show OrioiesPwnSox's posts

Red Sox will not make it to the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

there's lots of good reasons left why we can make the playoff - but this whole thread is dumb considering we barely broke .500 at Fenway for the longest homestand of the year - and that might not have happened if we didnt play the lowly Twins...we are still under .500 and need to play better, smarter, more passionate baseball....I do think however our pitching is finally doing what it was supposed to do last year - keep us in every game AND THAT IS ENCOURAGING...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

16%

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

v

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

" Not with Francoma." If they do, will you agree to leave this forever with your toxic anti-Francona trolling forever?  Seems fair to me.  @ 67redsox  don't feed the trolls. Bosox is an anti-Francona troll, one of several who treat Francona like a last place manager who has never won anything.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

TrollSpanker, 

Don't waste your time reasoning with the trolls who hate Francona. You know thier song, if the Sox lose they blame Francona and if they win he's just lucky to be there at the right time. 

As for stating my thought, I still go with the Sox for the playoffs and hopefully the World Series.I think the hitting will come around as it already has started, but the pitching is still my biggest concern. 

Now that Ortiz has started the year off avoiding the early season miseries I don't see the usal trolls complaining. What happens if Ortiz has a good year, hitting around .290 -.300 with 30 home runs and the usual 100RBIs ? If so I hope they resign him for a few more years.

Hetchinspete

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THIS TEAM WILL NOT....MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. THE NECESSARY
    INGREDIENTS ARE NOT THERE. LET ME BE SPECIFIC.
    THE STARTING PITCHING IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. IT IS A 3 DEEP
    ROTATION AND LESTER , TONITE, MAY 10, HAD TO BE PULLED
    AFTER GIVING UP 5 RUNS AGAINST A WEAK TEAM.
    VARITEK SHOULD NOT BE CATCHING. HE COST THE TEAM THE
    GAME TONITE BY BLOWING A PITCHOUT ON A STEAL, BOUNCING
    A THROW TO SECOND, AND MAKING A POOR THROW TO THIRD ON
    A SUBSEQUENT STEAL. SALTY K'DTWICE BEFORE MAKING A GAME
    TYING HIT. OUR CATCHERS ARE JUST NOT GOOD HITTERS.
    CRAWFORD IS AWFUL, DESPITE HIS LATEST GOOD FORTUNE,
    HE WILL NOT GO DEEP, AND BAILS OUT ON LEFTIES.
    IF IT WERE NOT FOR A GON, WE WOULD BE LOSING OVER 20
    GAMES, ALREADY. BY THIS WEEKEND, AFTER THE JAYS SWEEP
    US, WE WILL BE 10 OUT IN THE LOSS COLUMN, BECAUSE THERE IS
    NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH THAT WE CAN BEAT THE YANKEES
    WITH THIS LINEUP AND OUR PITCHING.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

They will not make the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

Still too early.

"So what does the start of May mean? Of the six teams who were in the lead of their division at the end of play on May 1 in 2010, only two, the Rays and Twins, finished the year on top of their division. The other four -- A's, Mets, Cardinals and Padres -- all faded out of the playoff picture entirely, although three of the four merely to second place. (The Mets finished fourth.)

In 2009 two of the six teams leading their divisions on May 1 went on to win their division that year as well. In 2008 four of the six won their divisions. In 2007 it was three of six, and in 2006 only one of the six division leaders held on at the end of the season.

It's an admittedly inexact science, but if the last five years are any guide, somewhere between one and four teams of the May 1 division leaders -- this year, that list includes the Yankees, Indians, Rangers, Phillies, Cardinals and Rockies -- will hold at the end of the year. In other words, it's still too early to tell. "

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/05/05/surprise.teams.rankings/index.html#ixzz1M10J3sKE

Sections
Shortcuts