Who is a better pure hitter, Manny or Adrian?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Who is a better pure hitter, Manny or Adrian?

As I continue to watch Adrian's beautiful swing that will surly make me buy his jersey this summer, I start to compare him to Manny... not stat wise (yet) but how he approaches the plate and how he swings in certain situations. Although I think it's to early to compare A-Gon's career to Manny's, who do you think is the better hitter?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thesweetkid. Show thesweetkid's posts

Re: Who is a better pure hitter, Manny or Adrian?

Manny Ramirez is a better pure hitter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from don444. Show don444's posts

In Response to Who is a better pure hitter, Manny or Adrian?:
    As I continue to watch Adrian's beautiful swing that will surly make me buy his jersey this summer, I start to compare him to Manny... not stat wise (yet) but how he approaches the plate and how he swings in certain situations. Although I think it's to early to compare A-Gon's career to Manny's, who do you think is the better hitter?
    Posted by myaim45

Iwould have to say that Manny is the pure QUITTER !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not sure who it was but one of the writers, maybe Chad Finn, was comparing A-Gon to Manny very early, talking about how efficient his swing is, no wasted motion at all.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaz456. Show Yaz456's posts

I don't know but the idea of the word "pure" makes little sense since we knew that Manny had other, rather impure contributions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1--. Show --The--Babe--1--'s posts

Pretty tough to be a "pure" hitter when he was taking PED's for the better part of his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

How can you compare a ser with a non-user? Maybe a btter comparison could be made using Adrian and T.W.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxfanatik-VA. Show Soxfanatik-VA's posts

Alas, Manny was one of the best hitters ever, regardless of how he did it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ADRIAN'S NAME WITH THE "DESPICABLE-MAN-CHILD-FRAUD-QUITTER-JUICER-SH*T-BUM-SNAKE IN THE GRASS-...... ADRIAN IS A PURE /REAL DEAL/BALL PLAYER !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Manny in his prime was a better pure hitter, but I'd much rather have Adrian Gonzalez on my team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The whole lefty/righty thing comes into play as well.  I'm starting to have the same expectation with Gonzalez that I had with Manny when the Sox were down by a run or 2 late in the game.

Gonzalez is like big Papi and Manny rolled into 1, great pure hitter and a great clutch hitter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

"Is"?

Don't want to go too far out on a limb here, but I'd say Adrian "is" the better hitter.

-Daf.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Are we talking Manny with - or without - the juice?

Seriously.

They are similar in that the ball seems to fly off their bats with alarming speed.

But Gonzo is clean.

So it's Gonzo. No contest.

Here endeth the lesson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

In Response to Re: Who is a better pure hitter, Manny or Adrian?:
    Alas, Manny was one of the best hitters ever, regardless of how he did it.
    Posted by Soxfanatik-VA

I agree with this.

BUT, I love AGon!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

HE IS ADRIAN, NOT A-GON!  GET IT STRAIGHT!!

TOO EARLY TO REALLY COMPARE WHO IS THE BETTER HITTER.  ADRIAN IS GOOD IN ALL ASPECTS...SWING, CLUTCH, ALL FIELDS, ETC.

VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS OF THIS TRADE!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thesweetkid. Show thesweetkid's posts

HE IS ADRIAN, NOT A-GON!  GET IT STRAIGHT!! TOO EARLY TO REALLY COMPARE WHO IS THE BETTER HITTER.  ADRIAN IS GOOD IN ALL ASPECTS...SWING, CLUTCH, ALL FIELDS, ETC. VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS OF THIS TRADE!!
    Posted by REBEL

Yes it`s too early to really compare who is the better hitter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Define Pure Hitter

Who is the better hitter?  Manny was better during his prime but Gonzo does have the ability to be his equal.......Not sure it matters who is better as long as both have 2 RINGS with the Sox........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This is a great question.  I know that watching Gonzalez hit makes me feel just like I did watching Ramirez in his prime.  The combination of pure beauty/efficiency of their swings and wily working of pitchers is the Force running deep for both of them.  Also, the inside out laser show certainly begs comparison.  I grant that the posters pointing to the PEDs may have a point, in which case the pendulum swings to Gonzo.  I can't yet say that he has taken Manny's mantle, but i certainly feel the same watching Gonzo now as i did watching Manny then.  In the end, personality issues aside, I may end up with gonzo as my fav because his defense makes me all aflutter, and I love defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

to be fair, Manny has done well in the playoffs too...we really have to see how this plays out........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

to be fair, Manny has done well in the playoffs too...we really have to see how this plays out........
    Posted by andrewmitch

good point a-mitch.  Manny trascended for me in October.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Are we talking Manny with - or without - the juice? Seriously. They are similar in that the ball seems to fly off their bats with alarming speed. But Gonzo is clean. So it's Gonzo. No contest. Here endeth the lesson.
    Posted by summerof67

Thanks for that detailed analysis.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ADRIAN'S NAME WITH THE "DESPICABLE-MAN-CHILD-FRAUD-QUITTER-JUICER-SH*T-BUM-SNAKE IN THE GRASS-...... ADRIAN IS A PURE /REAL DEAL/BALL PLAYER !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Snake in the grass, what does that even mean?  Manny was more like a snake on a rock in the sun.

To the question, they are very similar in that they have great power to all fields, don't seem to affected by a 2 strike count, and can go on streaks where any out seems surprising.  I hope that 1 day Adrian has a better Red Sox resume of Mr. Manny Ramirez, but he is still at least 2 world championships away from that. 

Sections
Shortcuts