Who is the AL MVP? Ellsbury?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Who is the AL MVP? Ellsbury?

Verlander or Ellsbury, if you are one of those who say pitchers have their own award in the cy young then give it to Ellsbury who leads the majors in total bases and is hitting 60 points higher than granderson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

My only thought is that with all the hitters in the running that makes Verlander stand out all the more and what he did this year is quite an accomplishment for a pitcher.  I hope the vote doesn't get split between too many hitters and let Verlander walk away with the award.  Ells definitely should get the award.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Granderson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No quarrel with Verland, but Jake has come on strong.  In still another crucial series, he had 5 of the Sox 7 rbi's in yesterday's doubleheader and the only rbi's in the game 1.  No quarrel either with Granderson or Bautista or whoever.  Jake is probably in the top 5, which is downright amazing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Ells may have sealed the deal last night...his numbers are gaudy for a lead-off guy that sets the table...

part of me wants to go Verlander, as I can't put Grandiman there...Sox 6-18 slide Ells batted over .368, so he was doing his job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP? Ellsbury?:
    [QUOTE]Ells may have sealed the deal last night...his numbers are gaudy for a lead-off guy that sets the table... part of me wants to go Verlander, as I can't put Grandiman there...Sox 6-18 slide Ells batted over .368, so he was doing his job.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury has a good chance of winning the AL MVP if the Red Sox make it to the playoffs.  If not, he won't win it. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well id say verlander is the most important to his team because without him the tigers are a sub .500 team, but i think jacoby deserves it as well

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

for the record i have no problem giving the award to a pitcher who has a season like verlander has this year or Pedro in 2000

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Granderson
    Posted by majormathew[/QUOTE]

No....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from esruc04. Show esruc04's posts

Without Verlander the Tigers might very well be a sub .500 team, but without Ellsbury the Sox are likely not in the mix right now either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

Verlander!  I love Els, but I can't believe that he, Granderson or Bautista aren't taken some kind of "supplement"!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]well id say verlander is the most important to his team because without him the tigers are a sub .500 team, but i think jacoby deserves it as well
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]
    I certainly don't disagree, but can you also imagine where the Sox would be without Ellsbury's phenomenal year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP? Ellsbury? : I certainly don't disagree, but can you also imagine where the Sox would be without Ellsbury's phenomenal year?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

yea you are right, its just hard to see them worse off considering how far they have fallen anyways..but without a doubt without ellsbury they arent even in contention for the wild card at this point. its just tough to argue against verlander and his great era and 24 wins...but without a doubt ellsbury is having a historic year for a leadoff hitter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

ellsbury is putting up the type of numbers that theo paid crawford to do...ellsbury and his agent are going to love the contract crawford got because ellsbury is going to get bank in arbitration

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP? Ellsbury? : yea you are right, its just hard to see them worse off considering how far they have fallen anyways..but without a doubt without ellsbury they arent even in contention for the wild card at this point. its just tough to argue against verlander and his great era and 24 wins...but without a doubt ellsbury is having a historic year for a leadoff hitter
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]
    Completely agree, Verlander is amazing. Had he won the other day to get 25, he'd have really helped his case. Something magical about that number 25, even though it's just one more than 24. If that makes any sense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

had ellsbury been putting up those type of numbers in a year where verlander didnt dominate like this, id say he would be the no doubt mvp...but like i said you gotta give the man verlander his due, there really isnt another player in baseball who defines the word Most Valuable Player better then him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

First - The Sox were expected to run away with the Division and into the WS.  It was not because they had Ells.
    Second - Yankees expected to make WC and playoffs by everyone but Sox fans because of their hitting.
    Third - The Tigers were not expected to do anything...that had a chance to do it but the White Sox and Twins were expected to do better.
    Fourth - Toronto was expected to finish exactly where they did...because of Batista.

I want Ells to get the award - but will not be disappointed if Verlander gets it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Ells is having the year of his life. Is this his MVP year?

BBWAA members assigned to the National League Most Valuable Player committee are told, “There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

“The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931: (1) actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense; (2) number of games played; (3) general character, disposition, loyalty and effort; (4) former winners are eligible; and (5) members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.”

The MVP committee members are also urged, “to give serious consideration to all your selections, from 1 to 10." The voters understand that a 10th-place vote can influence the outcome of an election. They must fill in all 10 places on the ballot and they are to consider only regular-season performances. The writers must also, "Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters."

While Ellsbury has produced well beyond everyone's expectations - hasn't Verlander had the biggest individual impact on his team?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]First - The Sox were expected to run away with the Division and into the WS.  It was not because they had Ells. Second - Yankees expected to make WC and playoffs by everyone but Sox fans because of their hitting. Third - The Tigers were not expected to do anything...that had a chance to do it but the White Sox and Twins were expected to do better. Fourth - Toronto was expected to finish exactly where they did...because of Batista. I want Ells to get the award - but will not be disappointed if Verlander gets it.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]
    I say this with no disrespect, but anyone who thought the Sox would "run away" with the division wasn't very sensible. Agree with you on Verlander, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

people overhyped the acquisitions of crawford and gonzalez so much that they believed the redsox would win the division easily, and to be honest they were ahead for most of the year, not comfortably however...but anyways, they were playing up to expectations for the most part until september where the injuries and sloppy play have really caught up to them...theo was right on with the acquisition of gonzo...i think the book on crawford is still open, however its not lookin very good so far

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]Verlander!  I love Els, but I can't believe that he, Granderson or Bautista aren't taken some kind of "supplement"!
    Posted by murphylo[/QUOTE]

How do you know Verlander isn't "supplementing?" 

Sections
Shortcuts