Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?:
    In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : have you seen Bautista numbers -- post all star game? Brutal. Pedroia -- well I've already talked myself out about that one.
    Posted by pri360

We're talking about 93 plate appearances.  If I'm deciding against Pedroia for his poor six weeks of performance earlier in the season, I'm not doing it for Bautista now.  It's not over yet.  I reserve the right to change my mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd say close race between AGon, Grandy, and Verlander 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

I'd say close race between AGon, Grandy, and Verlander 
    Posted by moonslav59

Verlander has been just NASTY and he is obviously very valuable to his team, I just see him being the top contender for the CY  as opposed to being a serious candidate for MVP.  I'm not diminishing his value to his team because it is huge I just don't see him being a major factor in the MVP race.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : We're talking about 93 plate appearances.  If I'm deciding against Pedroia for his poor six weeks of performance earlier in the season, I'm not doing it for Bautista now.  It's not over yet.  I reserve the right to change my mind.
    Posted by redsoxfan791
    pedroia's got a 5 yr career of superior statistics to show that he's not playing over his head; bautista's had one strong year. With 7 weeks left to the season; its a bit harder to overcome a deep slump.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Verlander has been just NASTY and he is obviously very valuable to his team, I just see him being the top contender for the CY  as opposed to being a serious candidate for MVP.  I'm not diminishing his value to his team because it is huge I just don't see him being a major factor in the MVP race.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx

Where would Detroit be without Verlander?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

who cares who gets mvp, as long as world series mvp goes to one of the red sox.
    Posted by bald-predictions

Amen, Kojak.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ellsbury continues to be on fire. Clearly, deserves MVP and a 143M contract offer for the 20 to 25 hr, .360 to .370 OPB and .500 plus slugging and 50 steals a year he'll be averaging during his peak year. Player do get better, you know. Ellsbury's only 25 and only has 1 full season of MLB. Best is yet to come, so Theo should do what it takes to lock this superstar up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : pedroia's got a 5 yr career of superior statistics to show that he's not playing over his head; bautista's had one strong year. With 7 weeks left to the season; its a bit harder to overcome a deep slump.
    Posted by pri360

Bautista will not win the MVP, but after hitting 54 jacks and getting 124 rbi's, he is leading the league in ...
    OBP:   .446
    Slg%: .632
    OPS:   1.077

Even if he goes 40 for 200, he'll have had 2 great seasons

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Granderson and Bautista don't compare to Ellsbury in WAR. The MVP will be decided based upon WAR, a hard science. Wakefield is expected to command over 15M a year, based upon WAR trajectory.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Pedroia and Bautista should be the leaders for MVP.   Granderson should be considered well behind.  Granderson is having a poor year in CF (UZR and TZR).

2011 WAR  FGhs    BBRef:

Pedr              6.8         6.2

Baut              6.7        6.8

Grand            5.2        3.8

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Where would Detroit be without Verlander?
    Posted by moonslav59

I agree Moonslav....he is extremely valuable to them and if the voting were based purely on that I think he would he would have a chance.   I just don't see him getting enough votes to seriously be considered for that award but for the CY instead.  In no way am I trying to diminish his value to Detroit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I believe that the MVP should be reserved for positional players only even though I heard Steve Buckley say that he believes you can make the case for Sabathia as Cy Young and Verlander as MVP.

The way I view it, I believe it's a neck and neck race now between Gonzalez and Granderson.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Pedroia and Bautista should be the leaders for MVP.   Granderson should be considered well behind.  Granderson is having a poor year in CF (UZR and TZR). 2011 WAR  FGhs    BBRef: Pedr              6.8         6.2   Baut              6.7        6.8   Grand            5.2        3.8  
    Posted by tom-uk

there is no record of BBWA voting for MVP's based on sabremetrics. I think many here are over analyzing. CY young yes; but not MVP's

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

I believe that the MVP should be reserved for positional players only even though I heard Steve Buckley say that he believes you can make the case for Sabathia as Cy Young and Verlander as MVP. The way I view it, I believe it's a neck and neck race now between Gonzalez and Granderson.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988
    SPC - I tend to agree. Where would either of AL's best two teams be without them? I think it's as simple as that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Adam Dunn!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Granderson with hr # 33. The CF'er is SLG .584 with .949 OPS and 107 Runs scored and 94 RBI's. Class act. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Too bad granderson hits in Yankee stadium, where the ball carries an extra 50  feet or more toward right.  Otheriwise his stats would be impressive.   But I watched long fly balls carry out last night when CC pitched.  Rediculous.   Granderson is having a fine year for sure, where would the Yanks be without him and with ARod out?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Since when does Softy like Ells.

Hetchinspete.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

And extra 50 feet, (oh brother ) Now that you said something as silly as that  you must be aware how good the numbers are.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now Granderson has it locked up--leads AL in runs and rbi's.  The lineup helps, of course, but he is still having an amazing year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-The-Babe-(. Show )-The-Babe-('s posts

Too bad granderson hits in Yankee stadium, where the ball carries an extra 50  feet or more toward right.  Otheriwise his stats would be impressive.   But I watched long fly balls carry out last night when CC pitched.  Rediculous.   Granderson is having a fine year for sure, where would the Yanks be without him and with ARod out?

Posted by soxmeister

He's hit 5 more HR's at home, considering the Yanks have played 10 more games at home than on the road it's not like his HR total is YS generated.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-The-Babe-(. Show )-The-Babe-('s posts

Right now Granderson has it locked up--leads AL in runs and rbi's.  The lineup helps, of course, but he is still having an amazing year. 

Posted by maxbialystock

Agreed. The job of a batter is to score runs and drive in runs and the Grandyman is doing both better than anyone else right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Cano is getting ready to make his run for the MVP title.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Agreed. The job of a batter is to score runs and drive in runs and the Grandyman is doing both better than anyone else right now.
    Posted by )-The-Babe-(

I believe that most of us would agree that Granderson is having an MVP year and if he continues he should win the MVP. 

Sections
Shortcuts