Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

AG needs to go on a tear and start hitting a bunch of bombs. He's 2/3rds of the way to a triple crown.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?:
    [QUOTE]Hard to deny Granderson is a top two or three candidate and trending upward. You have to love A-Gon, but he's no longer a Triple Crown threat (if he ever was). In fact, the field has completely passed him by in HR's which is pretty surprising. He's also been caught in RBIs where he once had a clear lead. Granderson's leading the majors in runs and 30 ahead of him and everyone else. And he has 22 SBs to go with great defense. Gonzalez blows away the field in BA, has a great glove, and will drive in 130, but tough to deny the more well-rounded Bautista, Granderson, Ellsbury, etc.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

No doubt Grandy is making a case.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Are you joking?  He's having a great year don't get me wrong but Gonzalez has a batting average almost 80 points higher and more RBI... How do you not give it to Gonzalez?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Who has more RBI's?  AGon is a legit MVP candidate and will most likely winning the batting title but the MVP is up for grabs among numerous players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]AG needs to go on a tear and start hitting a bunch of bombs. He's 2/3rds of the way to a triple crown.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

1/3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Hate the Yanks, but today - I'd give it to Granderson.  That said, still alot of baseball left, and there's been several years where the MVP was won by a guy that got hot in September.  I think AGON will have a power surge, end up with 30 bombs and 125-130 RBI, and that his average may dip some (325-315 range).  I also won't rule out that Granderson, Cabrera, Petey, Bautista, Ells, and several others could get hot in September and take it.  Of course, all this said, I just hope one of our guys, anyone really, wins the World Series MVP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

ells, and petey stand no chance AGON has the best shot hands down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : No doubt Grandy is making a case.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space, just look at Grandy's numbers shocking. hr 2, rbi 1,runs1, 3b 1,tb 1, with 22 steals, 951 ops, AGON 960ops.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : No doubt Grandy is making a case.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you about Granderson.  All he has been doing lately is hitting home runs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Trouble is, the Sox have 3 legitimate candidates and two of them will take votes away from the leader. Granderson is having a great season and without him chances are the yanks don't even get the wildcard. Like another poster said there is a lot of season left for that race to play out but today I'm afraid it's Granderson. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Anyone named so far can win except Pedey - I don't see how he is even in the discussion. He is having a very good year, but let's not go overboard.

Gonzalez,Bautista and Granderson are top 3 but all have some weaknesses in their numbers. I think it is a toss-up going into the home stretch.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone named so far can win except Pedey - I don't see how he is even in the discussion. He is having a very good year, but let's not go overboard. Gonzalez,Bautista and Granderson are top 3 but all have some weaknesses in their numbers. I think it is a toss-up going into the home stretch.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Jessey if one does not include Gonzalez, Ellsbury and Pedroia in the top 5 on THIS forum they are just wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Granderson cleary has been the most valuable to his team and has been more consistent than gonsalez.
    Posted by Yankenstein2[/QUOTE]I think that only applies if you consider HRs as your primary measurement. Adrian's BA - OBP and RBI click right along when he is "slumping" and not hit HRs in bunches unless you want to stare too long at his 10 game August sample set.

And many may disagree but a 1B glove is badly under rated by most baseball observers. Ask Cano, Jeter and A-Rod if they don't love Tex and what he does for their defense versus what Giambi gave them.

But here's what is remarkably close about the two. In their team's wins they have produced 72 v 73 RBI, their OPS is almost identical. Their contributions are very similar indeed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

All good points, but PD is on the cover of Sports Illustrated for a reason.   PD is MLB's July player of the month.  Tough to swallow, I know.  Granderson has not won anything.  Yankee fans are just a weeeeee bit biased about PD.  But not MLB.  PD is a leader, he is the heart of the Sox.  Bautista is not a leader, Granderson is not much of anything but a hitter,  Gonzo is slumping a bit.

Problem with some of you is you think the world revolves around HRs.   PD won his 1st MVP for the same reason he is in the running this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]All good points, but PD is on the cover of Sports Illustrated for a reason.   PD is MLB's July player of the month.  Tough to swallow, I know.  Granderson has not won anything.  Yankee fans are just a weeeeee bit biased about PD.  But not MLB.  PD is a leader, he is the heart of the Sox.  Bautista is not a leader, Granderson is not much of anything but a hitter,  Gonzo is slumping a bit. Problem with some of you is you think the world revolves around HRs.   PD won his 1st MVP for the same reason he is in the running this year. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]I am not suggesting that Pedey will have the same career, but he is our version of Derek Jeter. Any and every RS fan who has poked holes in the Jeter reputation should understand why NYY do the same with Pedey.

And NYY fans you should think back to just what Jeter was right through 2009 and understand the hype about Dustin.

Just my takes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]All good points, but PD is on the cover of Sports Illustrated for a reason.   PD is MLB's July player of the month.  Tough to swallow, I know.  Granderson has not won anything.  Yankee fans are just a weeeeee bit biased about PD.  But not MLB.  PD is a leader, he is the heart of the Sox.  Bautista is not a leader, Granderson is not much of anything but a hitter,  Gonzo is slumping a bit. Problem with some of you is you think the world revolves around HRs.   PD won his 1st MVP for the same reason he is in the running this year. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone denies that Pedroia is a hell of a player.  Being on SI and being the July player of the month doesn't make someone the MVP though.  An attribute of Pedroia I like is that he doesn't care whether or not he is the MVP, he just wants to win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury, before his recent tanking, was not in the top 5 in league OPS. Only Boston beat and fan drones are soaking their shorts about Ellsbury as a legitimate MVP contender. He is not in the picture at all. 4th on his own team and way behind a much more gifted Granderson. Granderson with 29th homer and near 100 RBI's. Granderson, AGon and Pedroia are in a separate class. Red Sox are likely winners of the division. If so, AGon is responsible for not only his own terrific season but has also provided a huge tail wind for those in front of him to get a lot of fat fastballs.   If Red Sox win AL East, it's AGon or pink hats are voting. If Yankees pull the upset for AL East, it's Granderson.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Softy,

Who cares for your thoughts as slanted as they are. It's obvious you don't like Ellsbury for some reason, and no matter how good a season you'll never give him credit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]typical red flops fans...thinking the MVP will come from one of their vitamin enhanced players.  Bautista or Granderson will get the award before Gonzalez or Pedrioa do. 
    Posted by softybabe[/QUOTE]

Softy,

Where is your proof to make an allegation that Gonzo and Pedey are juicing.

Hetchinspete.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : I think that only applies if you consider HRs as your primary measurement. Adrian's BA - OBP and RBI click right along when he is "slumping" and not hit HRs in bunches unless you want to stare too long at his 10 game August sample set. And many may disagree but a 1B glove is badly under rated by most baseball observers. Ask Cano, Jeter and A-Rod if they don't love Tex and what he does for their defense versus what Giambi gave them. But here's what is remarkably close about the two. In their team's wins they have produced 72 v 73 RBI, their OPS is almost identical. Their contributions are very similar indeed.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I think maybe you missed this post:

posted at 8/11/2011 5:59 PM EDT

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=03c2a7ed4dc85742157196966524979e&plckUserId=03c2a7ed4dc85742157196966524979e">
    First: 2/1/2010
    Last: 8/11/2011
    In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : No doubt Grandy is making a case.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Space, just look at Grandy's numbers shocking. hr 2, rbi 1,runs1, 3b 1,tb 1, with 22 steals, 951 ops, AGON 960ops.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Softy, I know you love him so...Kemp's last 6 games are: 0-3, 1-4, 1-4, 1-4, 2-5 and 0-4 for a batting average of .208.  Is he tanking, too?  Spin away!
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Jim,

Good posts, especially pointing out Kemp's stats. There is a reason his name SOFTY fit the quality of his writing, or lack of common sense. I think word for him is TROLL. 

Pete 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Problem with some of you is you think the world revolves around HRs.

seems like a silly think to say

considering he is leading the league in

rbis, triples and the world in runs scored

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Many of you whose opinions I respect believe Granderson is either the pick or among the top three. To be honest, I don't get it.

Like him as a player, and he's a total class act. He's had a career year for home runs and RBI. But he's also hitting .275 and has more strikeouts (122) than hits (117).

Obviously it would be cool if Pedey or Ellsbury or Gonzalez won the MVP, but truly I'm sure we're all more concerned about being the last team standing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]Many of you whose opinions I respect believe Granderson is either the pick or among the top three. To be honest, I don't get it. Like him as a player, and he's a total class act. He's had a career year for home runs and RBI. But he's also hitting .275 and has more strikeouts (122) than hits (117). Obviously it would be cool if Pedey or Ellsbury or Gonzalez won the MVP, but truly I'm sure we're all more concerned about being the last team standing.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE] You don't get it maybe i can help you. HR 2, rbis 1, runs 1, total bases 1, triples 1, 22 stolen bases, 951 ops. AGON 960. yes 122 strikeouts 117 hits thanks for pointing out that. (opps) forgot 370 ob. Yes it would be nice if a red sox won the mvp.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Gonzalez is back to looking more like Billy Muellar than the left handed Manny.

Team MVP is Beckett.  He is simply more valuable to the success of the team than anyone else on the roster.  Period.  Without Beckett we're behind the Rays in the standings.  Without one of our key bats we are still in the hunt for the WC.............

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : I am not suggesting that Pedey will have the same career, but he is our version of Derek Jeter. Any and every RS fan who has poked holes in the Jeter reputation should understand why NYY do the same with Pedey. And NYY fans you should think back to just what Jeter was right through 2009 and understand the hype about Dustin. Just my takes
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Always enjoy your posts. Since you brought up the comparison between pedroia and jeter, which I as a yankee fan not feel is an act of heresy, I have to point out to you that for all the "intangibles" that everyone always seems to talk about, when it comes to Pedroia ........ Jeter never won the MVP. I don't think Pedroia belongs in this conversation. Elsbury's number are superior to his in virtually all categories with the exception of OBP ....... and to be perfectly honest with you ........... although Cano (at this time) is not a legitimate MVP candidate; I'm not so sure Pedroia's numbers are all that superior to Cano's.