Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

Bias will keep Verlander from winning the award, but he is moving up my list.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-)TheBabe(-(. Show )-)TheBabe(-('s posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?:
    Babe, design several OPs with these survey questions. Who is the #1 troll at BDC? Who deserves to be banned most often? Who has the most problems understanding, comprehending, being logical? Which poster has an act designed to annoy others? WE AND YOU ALREADY KNOW THE RESULTS.

Posted by PawsoxPhil

I expect not to be liked here because I'm a Yankee fan that doesn't @zz kiss the rfn in here like jersey erica and nhstephanie do.

You on the other hand are a member of the rfn (or at least claim to be, I'm not sure you're even a baseball fan) and most posters in here don't like you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I believe that the MVP should be reserved for positional players only even though I heard Steve Buckley say that he believes you can make the case for Sabathia as Cy Young and Verlander as MVP. The way I view it, I believe it's a neck and neck race now between Gonzalez and Granderson.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Are pitchers not valuable?
    Are pitchers not players?
    Don't most starting pitchers face more PAs by the opponents than the league leader in PAs gets on offense?

Why should it matter that they are all bunched up? A great pitcher can singlehandedly lead a team to the playoffs and a ring. He has a great influence on 32-34 games a year. Great batter do about the same.

Anyone who doesn't think Pedro was the MVP in 1999 and 2000 ignored how dominating he was over his opponents (in a hitting era) and over his fellow pitchers in that era.

Just because the Silver Slugger Award isn't as popular as the Cy Young, it doesn't mean MVP should be reserved only for hitters/fielders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Are pitchers not valuable? Are pitchers not players? Don't most starting pitchers face more PAs by the opponents than the league leader in PAs gets on offense? Why should it matter that they are all bunched up? A great pitcher can singlehandedly lead a team to the playoffs and a ring. He has a great influence on 32-34 games a year. Great batter do about the same. Anyone who doesn't think Pedro was the MVP in 1999 and 2000 ignored how dominating he was over his opponents (in a hitting era) and over his fellow pitchers in that era. Just because the Silver Slugger Award isn't as popular as the Cy Young, it doesn't mean MVP should be reserved only for hitters/fielders.
    Posted by moonslav59

Completely agree.  Why pitchers can't win the MVP anymore is absurd.  If they deserve it they deserve it.  Pedro should have won it in '99 for sure! And you can certainly make a strong case for Verlander this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Gonzo 1st in BA, 1st in hits, 1st in Total bases, 2nd in RBIs, gold glover.  What makes you think Granderson's stats are so special?  It is like you would have given it to Adam Dunn when he was hitting 40 HRs a year.  Makes no sense to me. And BTW, Granderson is not #1 on any list out there I could find.  Gonzo is either #1 or #2 with Bautista.  
    Posted by soxmeister

A few weeks ago i would say you were right. Not anymore 2hr, 1rbi, 1 3b, 1rruns score, 2 tb  22 bags 950 ops 375 obp. AGON 200 at bat 2 hr OMG. it's Grandy right now. There is still 40 games + to go

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from >TheBabe<. Show >TheBabe<'s posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Gonzo 1st in BA, 1st in hits, 1st in Total bases, 2nd in RBIs, gold glover.  What makes you think Granderson's stats are so special?  It is like you would have given it to Adam Dunn when he was hitting 40 HRs a year.  Makes no sense to me. And BTW, Granderson is not #1 on any list out there I could find.  Gonzo is either #1 or #2 with Bautista.  

Posted by soxmeister

Meanwhile, Granderson goes 3-4 last night with a double, a HR, 1 RBI and 2 runs scored.

Granderson had the same amount of HR's last night as agon has had since the break!

Granderson has more than twice as many RBI's than agon since the break and almost twice as many runs scored. Not to mention that he's driving the runs in primarily from the #2 spot in the order while agon bats in a more RBI friendly spot at #3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from >TheBabe<. Show >TheBabe<'s posts

crickets..........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

To soxmeister (quote seems to be not working), Granderson's stats are special this year. He's scored 111 runs and it's AUGUST! He's got 34 home runs and 95 RBI's with 22 SB's. That's on pace for a year where he scores like 150 runs, drives in 120, hits 40+ home runs, and steals 30+ bases. Dude, that's Rickey Henderson territory, just with more power. Don't be naive and act like Grandy isn't having a special year just because he plays for the Yankees, come on now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

To soxmeister (quote seems to be not working), Granderson's stats are special this year. He's scored 111 runs and it's AUGUST! He's got 34 home runs and 95 RBI's with 22 SB's. That's on pace for a year where he scores like 150 runs, drives in 120, hits 40+ home runs, and steals 30+ bases. Dude, that's Rickey Henderson territory, just with more power. Don't be naive and act like Grandy isn't having a special year just because he plays for the Yankees, come on now.
    Posted by PhilTheAce

Forgive him the meister is is incapable of objective thought.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Forgive him the meister is is incapable of objective thought.
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2

So it seems.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Forgive him the meister is is incapable of objective thought.
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2

Although nobody's as bad as SoxPatsCelts1988 in that regard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I tip my hat to Cashman for making the trade to get Granderson and to Granderson for a superb year. Cashman has made many mistakes just like Theo has but for some reason on this forum, which is inundated with closet Yankee fans, one never hears due criticism of Cashman but you hear tons of bashing Theo. Why is that? Why aren't all of our Yankee fans, in the closet or not, objective about the numerous mistakes that Cashman has made over the years. This leads me to give credence to what Kim says about this forum. My guess is that the forum only has 10-20 percent Red Sox fans. Many here are pulling the wool over your eyes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I tip my hat to Cashman for making the trade to get Granderson and to Granderson for a superb year. Cashman has made many mistakes just like Theo has but for some reason on this forum, which is inundated with closet Yankee fans, one never hears due criticism of Cashman but you hear tons of bashing Theo. Why is that? Why aren't all of our Yankee fans, in the closet or not, objective about the numerous mistakes that Cashman has made over the years. This leads me to give credence to what Kim says about this forum. My guess is that the forum only has 10-20 percent Red Sox fans. Many here are pulling the wool over your eyes.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

Mature Yankee fans understand that GM's always make mistakes given the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.  Mature Yankee fans appreciate the fact that Brian Cashman has been with the organization since the late 1980's, survived the reign of terror under the owner nicknamed the Boss and is not given the credit he deserves for having the position during a tremendous run of 3 consecutive World Championships, a feat that may never be replicated in the wildcard era of baseball.  Mature Yankee fans recognize that putting aside the obvious so-called mistakes that anyone in their right mind with a blank check would have gone down a similar road in terms of adding expensive free agent players.  Many of them have been pretty good, some of them have been average and a handful of them have been failures and the evil that men do lives after them.   I personally believe that the current Yankee GM's best work has involved the addition of relatively inexpensive pieces who have quietly contributed to the team's dominance of a very challenging division.  The most recent are obviously Colon and Garcia (who knew?), but few know that guys like David Robertson (16th round draft pick), Brett Gardner, Tyler Clippard and Austin Jackson among others were under the radar types.  These guys were not high draft picks like Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy who have all enjoyed some success at the big league level.  Foreign free agent signings starting with Orlando Hernandez, Hideki Matsui, Alphonso Soriano, Chien Ming Wang, Robinson Cano, Jose Tabata and Ivan Nova have been pretty good.  His "people" missed the mark on a Japanese pitcher (Kei Igawa) who has been hanging out in the minors making a lot of money for several years, but there is cautious optimism that guys named Montero, Betances and Banuelos might contribute in the future.  Trading Jeff Weaver for Kevin Brown was perceived at the time as pure genius.  Free agent signings for guys like Sheffield and Damon, for example, have generally been more than acceptable given how they played.  Finding guys like Tanyon Sturtze, John Proctor, Luis Ayala, Hector Noesi and Aaron Small are all guys contributed much more than they received is commendable.   The unknown is really how some players, especially pitchers, will respond to playing in New York.  C.C. Sabathia has thrived.  Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano did not.  Hey, it's not for everyone.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I can't speak for other Yankee fans, but I don't talk about it because it makes me sick just thinking about it. But here it goes: Jeff Weaver, Steve Karsay, Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, CARL PAVANO, Jaret Wright, KEI IGAWA, Kyle Farnsworth, Javier Vazquez (Part 1 and 2), AJ Burnett, Nick Johnson. Is that better? Pardon me while I go throw up, LOL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

Another thing is when it comes to a fanbase and GM's, they usually hate their own except if it's a no brainer GM. If you go to yesnetwork.com you'll see many Yankee fans killing Cashman and saying how much better Theo is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I can't speak for other Yankee fans, but I don't talk about it because it makes me sick just thinking about it. But here it goes: Jeff Weaver, Steve Karsay, Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, CARL PAVANO, Jaret Wright, KEI IGAWA, Kyle Farnsworth, Javier Vazquez (Part 1 and 2), AJ Burnett, Nick Johnson. Is that better? Pardon me while I go throw up, LOL.
    Posted by PhilTheAce
      Did you happen to notice that your entire list consists of starting pitchers other than Nick Johnson who was always a walking injury and cost the Yankees peanuts the second time around.  Carl Pavano from what I understand has pitched very well recently with small market teams.  He had and has talent and was a target for many teams at the time, but was not mentally tough enough to pitch on the big stage.  Karsay is pitching well if I am not mistaken and Farnsworth is the closer for one of the top 10 teams in baseball.  Javy Vazquez had a great year or two with the Braves and struggled in the AL.  How rare is that for an NL starter not to pitch as well with a DH in a tough division?  Randy Johnson was an old veteran who could still pitch effectively, but who ultimately could not tolerate the big stage.  He was a "Big Unit" in Seattle and Phoenix, but a "Small Eunuch" in New York.   It's easy to identify mistakes without giving credit for successes and there have been many.  You don't win division titles year in and year out since the advent of the wildcard without having a guy who knows what he's doing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Another thing is when it comes to a fanbase and GM's, they usually hate their own except if it's a no brainer GM. If you go to yesnetwork.com you'll see many Yankee fans killing Cashman and saying how much better Theo is.
    Posted by PhilTheAce

Thanks for that enlightening information. It is good to know that every fanbase is loaded with such fans as that. You would never know that from our group of admitted Yankee fans on this forum. That info. would NEVER be forthcoming from our Jeter, NHSteven, Rizzuto, Troll Babe, Yazzer, JesseyEric, and others. They come here demanding honesty, objectivity, impartiality, and being reasonable and then they fail to tell us about the anti-Cashman flak in the YES forum. Good to know that our fanbase is fair-weather and disloyal like other forums are.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I think every fanbase has them. I haven't been in here much lately, but I have always noticed Jessey and jete have good rapport with most members on the board. They're good guys, I don't really know too many of those other guys, at least not off the top of my head.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

WilcyMoore, why are you getting so defensive? I don't hate Cashman, I was just answering Pawsox's post. Cashman has made plenty of great moves, but plenty of bad ones too. And no, up until you brought it up I didn't notice all except Nick Johnson were pitchers. Regardless, some of those names to this day are not a good sight for Yankee fans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Thanks for that enlightening information. It is good to know that every fanbase is loaded with such fans as that. You would never know that from our group of admitted Yankee fans on this forum. That info. would NEVER be forthcoming from our Jeter, NHSteven, Rizzuto, Troll Babe, Yazzer, JesseyEric, and others. They come here demanding honesty, objectivity, impartiality, and being reasonable and then they fail to tell us about the anti-Cashman flak in the YES forum. Good to know that our fanbase is fair-weather and disloyal like other forums are.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

Phil. First, I have blasted some of Cashman's horrible moves at length on this site. 2nd, I don't really see the need to go off on the GM as often as others. Assuming he does his due dilligence, the one thing you cannot factor in is human response. Vasquez had all the ability in the world as did Jeff Weaver. They crumbled on the NY stage. Pavano was sought after by most teams including Boston - who knew he would be as fragile as fine china. Igawa and Nick Johnson were disaster moves and he should be taken to task for that.
    Finally, Cash was the one who turned to Steinbrenner and said stop wasting the resources in the minors. Let them develop. And in 5 years, the Yanks farm system has done from the low end of the spectrum to the high end.

In the end, I just don't see the point in blasting the GM every 5 minutes. He isn't the one catching or swinging.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Wincy spent a lot of time and effort writing that and it was refreshing and very detailed. Thanks. Keep posting here Wincy with similar stuff since no other Yankee fans have that courage to do so. You also may wish to copy and paste that post to the YES forum since it may enlighten Yankee fair-weather fans also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I agree with your post jessey, my intent was not to blast Cashman, it was just to let pawsox know that his fanbase isn't the only one who blasts their GM. I have mixed reviews on Cashman, I actually am pretty comfortable with him as the GM. though. I just can't stand hearing him in an interview, he goes on and on and on and on. He never stops talking, LOL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I agree with your post jessey, my intent was not to blast Cashman, it was just to let pawsox know that his fanbase isn't the only one who blasts their GM. I have mixed reviews on Cashman, I actually am pretty comfortable with him as the GM. though. I just can't stand hearing him in an interview, he goes on and on and on and on. He never stops talking, LOL.
    Posted by PhilTheAce

Thanks again. This news about fanbases is refreshing to me. It is like learning that your sister has a venereal disease but then finding out that every girl in the neighborhood also has it. I will now treat my fellow posters as having a common sickness instead of being unique.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Thanks again. This news about fanbases is refreshing to me. It is like learning that your sister has a venereal disease but then finding out that every girl in the neighborhood also has it. I will now treat my fellow posters as having a common sickness instead of being unique.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

This post is par for the course; considering the source.

Sections
Shortcuts