Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?

Thanks for your kind comments, Pawsox Phil, but I have learned first hand that regardless of the factual and objective information that may be incorporated into a particular discussion or debate, that fans who comment on forums such as this have a fixed agenda.  They often choose the easy and superficially emotionally motivated path of criticism rather than recognizing and appreciating the positives.  Those who have been fans of the Red Sox and Yankees have much to be thankful for this century given most of the alternatives for fans across the country and in Canada.  Bandwagon or fair weather fans represent a small, but highly vocal and visible minority of fans in every pro sport and both teams have more than their fair share of them.   Hate to go old school, but in my day we actually played the game on a field rather than in our bedrooms with a joy stick.  From my perspective if I give one fan something to think about that they had not considered, I have made one small step.  Even if I do not, I have exercised my mind and that's a good thing.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Another reason why Yankee fans don't blast Cashman here is because this is a Sox site. I rarely if ever start a thread about the Yanks unless it is specific to the NY/Bos rivalry. If a Boston fan starts a thread about Cashman or on all baseball GM's, I will comment as objectively as I can. But I certainly wouldn't start a Cashman s*cks thread. It has no bearing on this forum as a whole.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year?:
    [QUOTE]Another reason why Yankee fans don't blast Cashman here is because this is a Sox site. I rarely if ever start a thread about the Yanks unless it is specific to the NY/Bos rivalry. If a Boston fan starts a thread about Cashman or on all baseball GM's, I will comment as objectively as I can. But I certainly wouldn't start a Cashman s*cks thread. It has no bearing on this forum as a whole.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

But you support or ignore the many obvious Yankee trolls who do? Do you actually enjoy the Babe, Mikey, Lowell, Head-of-Ted, and Yazzer routine now. Is it entertaining to you? Why not come out and tell all that it is troll-like? If this is your forum then why would you be proud of Babe, Mikey, and Yazzer? Do you prefer to have garbage in the room that is your home daily?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

MVP is Granderson. No more Gonzalez as he's had only 1 HR over his last 200 AB. That is not an MVP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Finally in response to the question posed in this thread my choices would be Michael Young, Asdrubal Cabrera and Miguel Cabrera.  While guys like Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez and Granderson, Cano and Teixeira are important players for their respective teams none of them stand out as "most valuable" on their talented teams (some are Silver Sluggers at their positions).  An MVP to me is not necessarily a player who is having an outstanding year offensively at the plate and/or in the field, but one without whom a team would not have accomplished what they did if that player was not in the lineup on a daily basis.  Does not have to necessarily be a playoff team, but it is useful when that happens.  Asdrubal Cabrera tops my list because he is a complete player on a small market team which no one expected to compete for a postseason spot.  Without his steady and consistent play game in and game out both offensively and with his glove, I do not believe that the Indians would be where they are in the middle of August challenging for a division championship.  All one has to do is look at their lineup. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : But you support or ignore the many obvious Yankee trolls who do? Do you actually enjoy the Babe, Mikey, Lowell, Head-of-Ted, and Yazzer routine now. Is it entertaining to you? Why not come out and tell all that it is troll-like? If this is your forum then why would you be proud of Babe, Mikey, and Yazzer? Do you prefer to have garbage in the room that is your home daily?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Actually Phil - Babe and I have never gotten along and have had running battles here. I basically ignore him now and he reverts to his antics with me. There is no point in it. I do not come here to engage in some schoolyard bravado with the bully. There is no money to be made from it. I have also disagreed with Mike as well at times.

So I would ask that you look at the history of this forum before stating as you just did.

In the end, everyone can say what they want here - that is what a forum is. I wish some would be more respectful, but since it is impossible for one person to put their fist through a computer monitor and actually connect with anothers face, some people are going to be lewd and antognistic because they are zero repercussions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : But you support or ignore the many obvious Yankee trolls who do? Do you actually enjoy the Babe, Mikey, Lowell, Head-of-Ted, and Yazzer routine now. Is it entertaining to you? Why not come out and tell all that it is troll-like? If this is your forum then why would you be proud of Babe, Mikey, and Yazzer? Do you prefer to have garbage in the room that is your home daily?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]
     I thought we were still talking about MVP's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

A-Gon cannot be considered for MVP (I mean winning it, he is still top 5 or 6, but not # 1) unless he starts hitting homers again.  Ellsbury, at this point, is much more dangerous, and more valuable.  Pedroia is too.  Granderson has to be in the mix, and although I don't really like giving the award to pitchers, Verlander will receive votes as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from .>TheBabe<.. Show .>TheBabe<.'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? :  I thought we were still talking about MVP's?

Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Nah, pike doesn't come hear to discuss baseball. He's only here to complain about other posters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Certainly isnt a leadoff hitter who doesn't lead the team in OBP or SLg or RBI, etc.

Softaw is AL MVP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]Finally in response to the question posed in this thread my choices would be Michael Young, Asdrubal Cabrera and Miguel Cabrera.  While guys like Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez and Granderson, Cano and Teixeira are important players for their respective teams none of them stand out as "most valuable" on their talented teams (some are Silver Sluggers at their positions).  An MVP to me is not necessarily a player who is having an outstanding year offensively at the plate and/or in the field, but one without whom a team would not have accomplished what they did if that player was not in the lineup on a daily basis.  Does not have to necessarily be a playoff team, but it is useful when that happens.  Asdrubal Cabrera tops my list because he is a complete player on a small market team which no one expected to compete for a postseason spot.  Without his steady and consistent play game in and game out both offensively and with his glove, I do not believe that the Indians would be where they are in the middle of August challenging for a division championship.  All one has to do is look at their lineup. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE] are you talking about whom you would like to see as the MVP or who you think is the frontrunner at this point in the season?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ><. Show ><'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? :  I thought we were still talking about MVP's?

Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Nah....pike isn't here to talk baseball

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : are you talking about whom you would like to see as the MVP or who you think is the frontrunner at this point in the season?
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]   Neither applies.  I based my opinion on which player has had the greatest impact on his team this year, is deserving of strong consideration and without whom the team would not have done nearly as well as they have.   Even a sub .500 team can have a player who meets that criteria.   Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can survive losses of key players who are putting up big numbers statistically and still win because of the depth of their talent.  The Cleveland Indians have been decimated by injuries this year and Cabrera has arguably been most productive and therefore "most valuable" player day in and day out.  Very rarely do voters take that into account and almost always they simply choose the player who has had the most impressive season statistically (Bonds or Pujols, for example).  I am sure there is a so-called front runner or two based on the latter, but there's still a 1/4 of a season left and the voting ends on the last day of the regular season.  If the young Indians win the Central Division and it's a big "if," I am suggesting that their most valuable player deserves votes.  Cabrera is truly a darkhouse or longshot given the fact that many sports writers who vote on end of season awards simply look at numbers and cast their ballots accordingly.  As a group they are not shall we say exactly brilliant, tend not to analyze and think critically and tend to follow the herd if one of their colleagues makes a simplistic case for player X.  They are generally collectively incapable of thinking "outside the batter's box."  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]AGon for now.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I heard Gammons on the radio yesterday, and was taken aback when he said Grandy is his pick for MVP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Some of the posts on here are just hysterical to me. lol

Dustin Pedroia -- where would we be without him.

(Btw, still love you Verlander :))

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]Certainly isnt a leadoff hitter who doesn't lead the team in OBP or SLg or RBI, etc. Softaw is AL MVP.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

"Softlaw is AL MVP."  He's an idiot also, so what's that get him - a dunce cap with AL MVP embossed on it.  Give it a rest - Ells has had a fine year.  I still think Granderson is at the top of the MVP list, but there's still alot of year left - it can change.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : Of course you were, you're a red flops fan.
    Posted by - />)TheBabe(<-[/QUOTE]

You're a flop as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? : I heard Gammons on the radio yesterday, and was taken aback when he said Grandy is his pick for MVP.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Granderson has been the most deserving player for this award this year.  That could change if his numbers drop off over the rest of the season, but at this point, i agree with Gammons. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from .<(The-Babe)>.. Show .<(The-Babe)>.'s posts

Granderson yesterday solidified his place as the leader in the MVP race.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the AL MVP So Far This Year? :    Neither applies.  I based my opinion on which player has had the greatest impact on his team this year, is deserving of strong consideration and without whom the team would not have done nearly as well as they have.   Even a sub .500 team can have a player who meets that criteria.   Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can survive losses of key players who are putting up big numbers statistically and still win because of the depth of their talent.  The Cleveland Indians have been decimated by injuries this year and Cabrera has arguably been most productive and therefore "most valuable" player day in and day out.  Very rarely do voters take that into account and almost always they simply choose the player who has had the most impressive season statistically (Bonds or Pujols, for example).  I am sure there is a so-called front runner or two based on the latter, but there's still a 1/4 of a season left and the voting ends on the last day of the regular season.  If the young Indians win the Central Division and it's a big "if," I am suggesting that their most valuable player deserves votes.  Cabrera is truly a darkhouse or longshot given the fact that many sports writers who vote on end of season awards simply look at numbers and cast their ballots accordingly.  As a group they are not shall we say exactly brilliant, tend not to analyze and think critically and tend to follow the herd if one of their colleagues makes a simplistic case for player X.  They are generally collectively incapable of thinking "outside the batter's box."  
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

Good, valid, interesting points.

Sections
Shortcuts