Who is the best fit for RHB outfielder?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who is the best fit for RHB outfielder?

Jonny Gomes - young talented RHB with above average power.  His low batting avg might affect his playing time.  decent defence and has power.  He could be our RF against lefties.

Ryan Ludwick - similar to Jonny Gomes, veteran ourfielder with power, more $$$ than Gomes

Josh Willingham - just had career year with A's.  salary boost for Josh. might have to overpay him to sign him with other suitors

Juan Rivera - lost his power little bit but drove in 74 men in just 132 games.  2 yrs 15 mil might work for him

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Who is the best fit for RHB outfielder?

Ludwick

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

None of the above.
    Why does everyone think the new RF has to be a free agent???????
    Theo trades a lot better than he signs.
    For the millionth time, WILLINGHAM CAN'T PLAY RF!!!!!
    Gomes CAN'T PLAY RF!
    Rivera CAN'T PLAY RF!
    Does anyone understand it takes range and a strong arm to make it in Fenway Park's RF? That's why the first thing Duquette and Company did when they got Manny was to convert him to LF, from his traditional RF that he played in Cleveland.
    Converting Crawful to RF would be a disaster, because of his lousy arm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Willingham. Though Rivera would be nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Aiming kinda high? NOT!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the best fit for RHB outfielder?:
    [QUOTE]Wouldn't it be nice if we could develop one in the Minors? Wonder how many LH Outfielders he drafted this year?
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE] We have 3 really solid RH RF'ers in the system Juan Carlos Linares,Chseun Lin and Bryce Brentz. Of the three Bryce Brentz has the most power.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Josh Willingham.  Sign him for two years, and hopefully one of the minor leaguers is ready to play during the 2014 season.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

Like Ludwick; good outfielder with a decent arm, but he's real streaky at the plate. When he's on, he is a force; when not, he's a K machine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crawford ($122M/6) and Lackey ($46M/3)
    for 
    Matt Holiday (min: $86M/5)
    (12-16: $17M annually, 17:$17M club option ($1M buyout)).

Wink

Actually, if they lose Pujols, they might take Craw and Youk for Holliday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Marlon Byrd in a trade of Theo Epstein:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/byrdma01.shtml

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.htm

lhttp://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=950&position=OF

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

[QUOTE]Marlon Byrd in a trade of Theo Epstein: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/byrdma01.shtml http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.htm l http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=950&position=OF
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

You re not joking, arent you?  Byrd only have 81 career homeruns!!!  

Heck no way Boston is going to pull that trade!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tez2011. Show tez2011's posts

Definitely Josh Willingham. Two year deal. His OPS has been so consistent in his career. He also just had a great year with one of the worst offenses in the league. He won the catfish hunter award this year (voted on by A's players, coaches, and staff for the most inspirational player) which could be helpful if the clubhouse atmosphere is as bad as it has been recently reported. He also will probably only command a 2yr/$16mil contract. The only downside I see is that his strikeout rate went dramatically up this year while his walk rate went down. Otherwise a perfect fit in my opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I like Willingham - he had career highs in HRs and RBIs, but career lows in AVG, OBP & OPS, largely due to bad luck (low BABIP).  I think he'd be great in Fenway, but it would mean moving Crawford to right field.  Crawford had a tough year defensively - maybe the move would do him good.

I like Grady Sizemore too - I know he's a lefty, but I wonder if, with Lavarnway catching, the importance of a RH bat in the OF is diminished?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

How about DMAC?  LOL!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I like Willingham - he had career highs in HRs and RBIs, but career lows in AVG, OBP & OPS, largely due to bad luck (low BABIP).  I think he'd be great in Fenway, but it would mean moving Crawford to right field.  Crawford had a tough year defensively - maybe the move would do him good. I like Grady Sizemore too - I know he's a lefty, but I wonder if, with Lavarnway catching, the importance of a RH bat in the OF is diminished?  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Considering half his games were in Oakland, his numbers should be adjusted upwards. (Oakland has a huge foul territory and causes many foul outs and lost pitches seen.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Definitely Josh Willingham. Two year deal. His OPS has been so consistent in his career. He also just had a great year with one of the worst offenses in the league. He won the catfish hunter award this year (voted on by A's players, coaches, and staff for the most inspirational player) which could be helpful if the clubhouse atmosphere is as bad as it has been recently reported. He also will probably only command a 2yr/$16mil contract. The only downside I see is that his strikeout rate went dramatically up this year while his walk rate went down. Otherwise a perfect fit in my opinion.
    Posted by tez2011[/QUOTE]

He just ended his 1 yr $6 mil contract.  with his career year on his back and lots of interested suitors, he won't be settling with 2yr/$16 mil contract.  I would say 3 yrs/ 30 mils might work for him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Who is the best fit for RHB outfielder?:
    [QUOTE]Jonny Gomes - young talented RHB with above average power.  His low batting avg might affect his playing time.  decent defence and has power.  He could be our RF against lefties. Ryan Ludwick - similar to Jonny Gomes, veteran ourfielder with power, more $$$ than Gomes Josh Willingham - just had career year with A's.  salary boost for Josh. might have to overpay him to sign him with other suitors Juan Rivera - lost his power little bit but drove in 74 men in just 132 games.  2 yrs 15 mil might work for him
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

1) John Gomes does not play "decent defense."   He does hit for a ton of power and brings very little else to the table.

2) Ludwick would be a good fit except for the fact that he gets hurt all the time.  The man goes on the DL if he gets soap suds in his eye.

3) Willingham is another horrific defensive player, whose last season was most defintely not a career best (except in HRs).  In fat, probably his worst all-arund season.  Josh is slow and a poor outfielder, but hey the man came up as a catcher.  He does get injured alot and is probably best sutied to being a DH.

4) Rivera is an underappreciated utility player, but anyone making him a starter will probably regret it.  He has gotten a bit fatter in the last 3 years, and his defense suffered.  Platoon at 1B/DH/LF? Sure. But not a RF and certainly not the starter...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I'll take none of the above and say we go after Cuddeyar...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]I like Willingham - he had career highs in HRs and RBIs, but career lows in AVG, OBP & OPS, largely due to bad luck (low BABIP).  I think he'd be great in Fenway, but it would mean moving Crawford to right field.  Crawford had a tough year defensively - maybe the move would do him good. I like Grady Sizemore too - I know he's a lefty, but I wonder if, with Lavarnway catching, the importance of a RH bat in the OF is diminished?  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I like your opinion.  Besides his inury problems, Grady Sizemore is one of the top-class outfielder both offensive and defensive wise.  But Ryan Lavarnway needs more time for fulltime catching duty.  and remember we always had Tek and Salty as a catcher in our lineup who are both switch hitters. 
    I don't quite see Grady coming to Fenway. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

This is a good question (and the answer among this players would have to be Willingham), but you sure said some weird things in your first post.

Gomes is young? He's 30.

Willingham had a career year? While he had a career high in homers, he also had a career LOW OPS, and his OBP was 35 points below his career average (before this season).

Rivera fits as you describe, but 2 years, $15M? That strikes me as far too close to Mike Cameron's contract, and I know a lot of Sox fans who were not happy with that one...why repeat it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3804064. Show user_3804064's posts

what is it snowing in Boston already this year//all your brains freeze up--what happened to ryan Kalish and reddick--both are top prospects and should be much better next year with the expierence they both have now---what do we do with them trade more top prospects I don't think so--by the way moved from Worcester to arizona ( about 89 today)  Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]what is it snowing in Boston already this year//all your brains freeze up--what happened to ryan Kalish and reddick--both are top prospects and should be much better next year with the expierence they both have now---what do we do with them trade more top prospects I don't think so--by the way moved from Worcester to arizona ( about 89 today)  Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by d1c0b9d3e45cebda1dccc0da5e3c5ccc[/QUOTE]

I don't mind signing Cody Ross (.912 OPS vs LHP) to platoon with one of Reddick or Kalish....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Who is the best fit for RHB outfielder?:
    [QUOTE]Jonny Gomes - young talented RHB with above average power.  His low batting avg might affect his playing time.  decent defence and has power.  He could be our RF against lefties. Ryan Ludwick - similar to Jonny Gomes, veteran ourfielder with power, more $$$ than Gomes Josh Willingham - just had career year with A's.  salary boost for Josh. might have to overpay him to sign him with other suitors Juan Rivera - lost his power little bit but drove in 74 men in just 132 games.  2 yrs 15 mil might work for him
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

None of the above, Mike Cuddyer is the guy to go after

Sections
Shortcuts